Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Blue Thunder
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jun 2019, 1:16 pm

It is tough working hard to keep it all together when the struggles of autism can be so subtle. The reading of social cues, the awareness of popular culture, and the ability to actually stay engaged for a whole movie or book. Most people take this for granted. It sucks lacking these abilities that most people are born with. I'm learning to accept fully who I am though, and making the most of everyday. I don't feel anyone really gets me, but I get me and that's all that counts I suppose. I know there are like minded people on this forum and at least I know someone will read this and maybe respond. I'd love the opportunity to encourage someone similar to me as well. I'll make a point of making time to responding as relates to me on other posts I see on Wrong Planet. May make another person feel better and make me feel better. Anyway, thanks to those that have a moment to read my post. It's nice to read the thoughts too of people sharing my experience with autism and others who undetstand.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 2:21 pm

I don't worry about watching an entire movie anymore. If I miss the ending and decide I want to find out more I can often Google the Internet and watch a Youtube video to find out what I missed.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 3:10 pm

Blue Thunder wrote:
It is tough working hard to keep it all together when the struggles of autism can be so subtle. The reading of social cues, the awareness of popular culture, and the ability to actually stay engaged for a whole movie or book. Most people take this for granted. It sucks lacking these abilities that most people are born with. I'm learning to accept fully who I am though, and making the most of everyday. I don't feel anyone really gets me, but I get me and that's all that counts I suppose. I know there are like minded people on this forum and at least I know someone will read this and maybe respond. I'd love the opportunity to encourage someone similar to me as well. I'll make a point of making time to responding as relates to me on other posts I see on Wrong Planet. May make another person feel better and make me feel better. Anyway, thanks to those that have a moment to read my post. It's nice to read the thoughts too of people sharing my experience with autism and others who undetstand.

Yep it's great to have online support.

It would be even better to have a more fully-developed autistic-friendly subculture in real life too, including not only support groups but also autistic-friendly workplaces and autistic-friendly social spaces. Hopefully we can gradually create more and more of these things, hopefully led by autistic people, but with help from sympathetic NT's.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 12:05 am

It's a very big effort for me to get my work done with music blaring in the background and I'm trying to get the dry mopping started and than someone else is starting to wet mop at the same time when they're supposed to wait 20 minutes before they start. The boss is talking to me like a Valley Girl and she tries to kid with me in a corny way and I don't have much of a sense of humour. I lost it a couple of times. It's a good thing that the job is one hour of janitorial at the clubhouse, four days a week. My coworkers have to have their coffee before they start their jobs and the music playing in the background.