Do You Find Autism/Asperges Effects You Physically? (Poll).

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Does Autism Effect You Physically?
Yes 88%  88%  [ 28 ]
No 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 32

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 11:27 am

Ok. I am awaiting an assessment, but from what I can see I would be surprized if I am not on the spectrum. But for me... The journey to find this out so far started off by having physical issues associated with partial and full shutdowns which I could not in the past explain.
From what I believe, many are less effected, or are not effected physically, but are more effected in mental ways, as lets face it.... autism and asperges syndrome and the other closely related areas all stem from the way our brains are able to send messages to other parts etc.
I will add a poll to this one out of interest.

So for me it is both, but the physical aspects that I get with shutdowns were the key feature if I would say I have to define one single aspect I struggle with. (I must admit that other issues I assumed to be part of my own personal character where I just did not realize until recently that they were related to autism!)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 11:30 am

Wow. One of you voted quick. I had only just put the thread up and thought I was the first to vote and saw two votes. I thought I had made a mistake with rhe poll and voted for both options! Well done!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 11:35 am

I answered "yes," primarily because I am rather clumsy.

When I was a very young child, and severely autistic, I used to vomit all the time.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 11:39 am

I should have added more poll options. The lady I was dating who was diagnosed with asperges syndrome didn't seem to have any issues physically. She was certainly in good shape. She did have one issue but it had nothing to do with asperges and I believe the issue has been completesly resolved.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 26 Sep 2019, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 11:43 am

Fear is the little mind killer........? Exchange stress for word fear in this context. Someone wrote of being clumsy .. YES . and goes straight up from there . Many physical ailments can be exxagerated by stress.. Gawd dont i know it , 8O

where ever you go ,there you are

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 11:47 am

Jakki wrote:
Fear is the little mind killer........? Exchange stress for word fear in this context. Someone wrote of being clumsy .. YES . and goes straight up from there . Many physical ailments can be exxagerated by stress.. Gawd dont i know it , 8O

Yes. But some people can get anxiety/stress without it showing in a physical way. Others like me have it show in a very physical way (Which is annoying for me as those who see me on the floor assume it is for other reasons).

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 12:06 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I answered "yes," primarily because I am rather clumsy.

When I was a very young child, and severely autistic, I used to vomit all the time.

I'm uncoordinated and my handwriting is like chicken scratch. I'm very pain sensitive. Never had the vomit thing though, that must have been horrible.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 12:22 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Jakki wrote:

Yes. But some people can get anxiety/stress without it showing in a physical way. Others like me have it show in a very physical way (Which is annoying for me as those who see me on the floor assume it is for other reasons).

Used to be more like that when younger..now it manifests as stress related illnesse.s
Which doctors are not equipped to handle .. treating symptomatically instead of causitively . Its a deep black hole of stuff , and have seen the bottom ,and got help up ,from a great doctor. Then the other idiot doctors elsewhere did not believe ,what their training had taught them what was not politically correct to believe . And drove first doc out of practice . This all happened in real life.
Have medical records to prove it.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 1:01 pm

Yes, though mostly indirectly. The main ones I can think of are...
- Blood pressure, palpitations, etc. from high anxiety.
- Low energy etc. from poor diet (not noticing hunger, bad at shopping and cooking due to executive functioning).
- Aches and cramps from bad posture (e.g. tying my legs in knots while sat at my computer).
- Poor circulation and oedema in my legs (probably from sitting motionless for long periods when hyper-focused).
- Lots of bruises and scratches (clumsiness, poor balance, and poor situational awareness).
- Terrible teeth and gums (poor dental hygiene, avoiding dentists).
- Very, very poorly when I used to "self-medicate" with large quantities of alcohol (not any more!)

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 1:01 pm

Don't know if Asperger's effects me physically, I'm sometimes very tired and forget to eat.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 1:03 pm

I voted "yes" mainly because I have bad sensory issues, particularly with hearing, which I suppose would fall under the "physical" category.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 4:11 pm

I wish I could "forget" to eat LOL

One of my first memories, actually, was the pervasive smell of vomit, accompanied by a pervasive sense of fear.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 4:21 pm

Yes.

It's just so happens that this mind and body has more threshold and constitution, to afford enough most 'vulnerabilities' and sensitivities into the "real world".
Easily to pass off for a 'no', when the effects are just subtle in this case and it happens that not everyone can handle the same effects well.

Might as well be physically weaker, it just happens that the subconscious knows how to push this body past certain limits since childhood... :lol: And so I have to consciously hold back and exercise control.
Making it seem that it's stronger, more durable, less sickly and less vulnerable than the average.

And this body could've been clumsier if it weren't for nonverbal work arounds and compensation. Yet if the mind is stressed out, heck yes this body can become clumsier.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 10:52 pm

Wow all these years , low apetite is normal for us,,? Unreal...well spent yrs trying to compensate nutritionally for deficits...using every piece of info about

supplements , nutritional things with good success.long before knew stuff about autism ,was identifying deficits snce 16 yrs old..amassed more info then ever thought i would. Research applied can yeild great benefits . But most defo , this body am in is not same as everyone elses . N Ts
Can anybody else raise goosebumps with just concentration,,?

Redpaws
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2019, 10:39 am

I probably wouldn't have so much stomach trouble if I wasn't aspie, apparently a lot of us do, and that affects me physically more or less daily.

Stress and shutdowns also affect me physically.

But I would say just aspieness on its own doesn't - for me. anyway.

No terror, no war. No sympathy for terrorists or their supporters and sympathizers

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 10:55 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Ok. I am awaiting an assessment, but from what I can see I would be surprized if I am not on the spectrum. But for me... The journey to find this out so far started off by having physical issues associated with partial and full shutdowns which I could not in the past explain.

You've mentioned shutdowns a lot , but I still don't know what you mean by that .