Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 10:37 am

Do any of you get "special treatment" because of your autism?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 11:10 am

What do you define as 'special treatment ' ?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 12:27 pm

People “let things slide” with me at work which others would be reprimanded for.

Like meowing in the hallways. It’s “Kraftie being “Kraftie.”

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 12:33 pm

livingwithautism wrote:

Are you referring to special treatment of a certain type or are you asking about being treated differently in absolutely any manner?

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 1:04 pm

Up until June, nobody knew. And I haven't been back to work since I got fired for telling people to get lost, or leave me be. So, I'll have to get back with you on that one. I'm soon going to be going to DBT to learn how to deal better when I'm overstimulated.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 1:11 pm

I suppose I do, in that I get SSI, have a service dog, and my parents understand and accept that at least for the time being, I can't live on my own, all as a result of my autism. But do I get to use it as an excuse? No. Usually I'm held to NT standards and accused of just being lazy, not trying hard enough, or not caring when I can't meet them, even when I'm actually trying my hardest.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 2:17 pm

If I had a diagnosis, and they knew about it at work, they would probably tell me to give up any hope of advancing to a new position. They would tell me, "Well, there's a lot you're good at." They would tell me to find something more suitable. Like what? Writing lame blogs on tennis and cats? That's not going to help me live if I find myself alone.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 9:52 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
People “let things slide” with me at work which others would be reprimanded for.

Like meowing in the hallways. It’s “Kraftie being “Kraftie.”

That's a good example.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 9:53 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:

Are you referring to special treatment of a certain type or are you asking about being treated differently in absolutely any manner?

Any manner that appears positive.

ConverseFan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Aug 2019, 11:11 pm

I do get special treatment because of my autism. I get extra help at school and I don't have the same expectations at school. Also I don't have to do certain things such as presentations or certain exams. I get extra help in my daily life as well. My parents are also a bit overprotective. They don't let me do as much as my younger sister. I cant just leave the house and go out by myself. I also get treated differently by people. People sometimes talk to me like I am a child

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 7:16 am

livingwithautism wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:

Any manner that appears positive.

Most of what I noticed seems to be negative.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 1:51 pm

ConverseFan wrote:
I do get special treatment because of my autism. I get extra help at school and I don't have the same expectations at school. Also I don't have to do certain things such as presentations or certain exams. I get extra help in my daily life as well. My parents are also a bit overprotective. They don't let me do as much as my younger sister. I cant just leave the house and go out by myself. I also get treated differently by people. People sometimes talk to me like I am a child

You get the "voice" too?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 3:18 pm

I'm still not sure what qualifies as 'special treatment' . I do get quite a lot of help.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 5:19 pm

Special treatment implies someone who is spoiled and gets away with stuff because it could be due to they are their friend, their child, their relative, they have a disability so they think they can't discipline them because of it. In this case, I never got special treatment. Not in my family anyway and not at school. I am sure other kids have felt I got special treatment because of my disability. I remember being told how spoiled I am when I was 9 and 10 and I didn't understand where that was coming from since I never got everything I wanted. Things didn't ever go my way the way I wanted it. I think we can appear spoiled because of our invisible disability because of accommodations we get or how people treat us and somehow that is our fault :roll:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

Ollywog
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Aug 2019, 5:41 pm

Different treatment of people who have different needs is not "special treatment."

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 7:58 pm

Both the ideal that do help, and the unnecessary towards either me or anyone else. Whether they figure it's autism or not.

Kinda why I wanna get away from others sometimes. It's making me too attached, and sometimes the treatment is pissing me off.

Kinda why I'm somewhat partially responsible for my own upbringing in my own insistence -- to let me be, figuring how to be as independent as possible.
Because people around me had no idea what to do with me, I don't know how to tell them the complexities of autism and how demanding it can be. I cannot ruin this by making them accidentally break me, nor approach me with kiddy gloves all the time. So I figured, I gotta lift my own weight and let me judge myself.
I wanna lessen that burden of them ever minding about me.

And that people don't have to know.
Because I wanna be held accountable regardless. Yet some people cannot help but being too forgiving.

Yes, I'm one lucky bastard. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.