Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Sep 2019, 11:27 am

I get really really angry when people on the internet accuse or call me all sorts of things.
Words like "stupid", "sexist", "racist", etc can make me really angry for hours, and I cannot calm down.
Especially the word "stupid".

I'm already an adult and I still cannot calm down myself effectively.

Do I need anger management?
Or do generalized autism therapy help?
I was in some sort of therapy, but they didn't cover this topic.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2019, 11:43 am

There is no way for strangers on the Net to give constructive feedback on this post without more info.

You have a short history on this site. So we don't know you that well.

But there are two obvious issues in your post.

One is: why do folks call you out so often?

The second is: how should you react to folks calling you out?

The first is subdivided into multiple issues: Do you DESERVE to be called out for racism, and sexism, and seeming stupidity? If not then why do folks mistakenly accuse you of such on a regular basis?

Deserved or not, you must have a talent for drawing negative attention upon yourself. Sumpin you're doing just isn't working.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 07 Sep 2019, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2019, 12:04 pm

I get angry when I get called certain things when I don't deserve it. Like when people (who know me well) say I'm "like a child" when I am hyper (I have ADHD). I just find it insulting like I can't be myself any more because of my age. I don't mean acting irresponsible or babyish, I just mean when I am quite ecstatic. When people critically say anything to do with me being like a child, I feel angry and the words they used repeat over in my head for the rest of the day. I even got angry at my boyfriend when he criticised me for wearing a stripy t-shirt that said "Miami" on the front in pink. He was like, "why are you wearing that? You're a 29-year-old, not 16!" He had had a few drinks but even so, I got offended because I didn't see anything childish about my t-shirt.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on about myself here. I was just saying that I can relate to you about getting angry at certain remarks.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2019, 12:05 pm

The anger and inability to calm down is driven by stress. This stress energy is stored in your body unless you learn to vent it. So if you vent the stored stress energy, you should find that the anger dissipates and your body should calm down. The next question is HOW?

So where is it stored? I suspect that it is stored in your neck/jaws. Your natural inclination is to SCREAM. That is probably a solution to your dilemma.

One needs to vent the stored stress energy in their neck muscles, vocal cords, and jaw. The best way is to scream at the top of your lungs several times. But this must be done in a socially acceptable manner. Never scream at a person. I live in the rural countryside and my dog is a free-range dog. When it is mealtime and my dog is up and about; I call my dog very loudly.

R-o-c-k-y. Come here puppy. R-o-c-k-y.
R-o-c-k-y. Where are you puppy? R-o-c-k-y.
R-o-c-k-y. Come here puppy.

I yell so loud that I can hear my voice being echoed back to me from nearby hills and mountains. My voice carries about a mile. The call is so strong that it borders on a roar. It is a very good feeling. It gives me a sense of great strength, like I could split a mountain in two just with my voice alone. I feel strong to my core. It is a great stress reliever or normalizer. And it is socially acceptable in the countryside.

One might try howling like a wolf at the moon. There is an individual in New York City that howls at the subway cars as they pass by deep down in the subway stations. But there are other ways to scream in a socially acceptable manner. A singer can do this if it is a very powerful song. A barker in the county fair can do this. A fan at a rock concert can sing along at the top of their lungs. Some commuters sing along to the tune on the radio at the top of their lungs while they are driving down the road. A spectator at a sports event can do this in cheering on their team. Even a Girl Scout can practice barking in front of the local grocery store when she sells Girl Scout cookies. Or find yourself a soundproof room.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2019, 12:11 pm

excercise. Pumping iron, Jogging, or swimming, can be a good vent for anger.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 07 Sep 2019, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Sep 2019, 12:16 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
There is no way for strangers on the Net to give constructive feedback on this post without more info.

The first is subdivided into multiple issues: Do you DESERVE to be called out for racism, and sexism, and seeming stupidity? If not then why do folks mistakenly accuse you of such on a regular basis?

Deserved or not, you must have a talent for drawing negative attention upon yourself. Sumpin you're doing just isn't working.

Well, I'm from an Asian country in which liberalism hardly exists.
There are many liberal things that I do not understand, because it is new to me.

So I am likely to say inappropriate things without knowing, until after people start attacking me.

For example, in my home place, most people think that females shouldn't dress too revealingly, and should not be on the streets late at night.
(Just to give you a picture of what happens in my country)

The problem is, I love to practice my English, so I go to English forums a lot.
Hence I get called all sorts of things often.

There's that.
And another thing is that a lot of people love to call people stupid when they have different political opinions.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2019, 12:31 pm

SuSaNnA wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

There are many liberal things that I do not understand, because it is new to me.

So I am likely to say inappropriate things without knowing, until after people start attacking me.

For example, in my home place, most people think that females shouldn't dress too revealingly, and should not be on the streets late at night.

There's that.
And another thing is that a lot of people love to call people stupid when they have different political opinions.

Okay. That explains a lot.

It's a culture clash.

That plus being a novice in speaking English.

That's why you keep stepping on landmines. Don't know what a person can do about that. Except maybe to explain before you speak (in my country women are expected to be etc etc). Folks might cut you some slack. Or not. Lol!

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Sep 2019, 12:46 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
SuSaNnA wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

There's that.

Okay. That explains a lot.

It's a culture clash.

That plus being a novice in speaking English.

That's why you keep stepping on landmines. Don't know what a person can do about that. Except maybe to explain before you speak (in my country women are expected to be etc etc). Folks might cut you some slack. Or not. Lol!

I did that before, but then people started sh*****g on my country and calling my country a dystopia.
So I ended up being even more sad.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2019, 1:14 pm

SuSaNnA wrote:
...but then people started sh*****g on my country and calling my country a dystopia.

I don't like judging people so often internalize the upset (take the upset on myself). I am finally learning to externalize a bit more - find balance. There is an English expression: I am rubber you are glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you. (or something like that) ----- that's where I need to get. If they call me "stupid", in my mind I need to JUDGE that person as unkind, to begin with and possibly stupid also. And give myself a break. Establish a emotional or mental boundary from the toxicity. And if you can report that user or go to a safer online environment.

I am reading the book "Self-Reg" and think that's going to be helpful. Basically your anger is in reaction to stress - reduce the stress and your anger will evaporate (go away).

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Sep 2019, 1:28 pm

SharonB wrote:
SuSaNnA wrote:
...but then people started sh*****g on my country and calling my country a dystopia.

I don't like judging people so often internalize the upset (take the upset on myself). I am finally learning to externalize a bit more - find balance. There is an English expression: I am rubber you are glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you. (or something like that) ----- that's where I need to get. If they call me "stupid", in my mind I need to JUDGE that person as unkind, to begin with and possibly stupid also. And give myself a break. Establish a emotional or mental boundary from the toxicity. And if you can report that user or go to a safer online environment.

I am reading the book "Self-Reg" and think that's going to be helpful. Basically your anger is in reaction to stress - reduce the stress and your anger will evaporate (go away).

I see!
I do find it stressful when I don't understand them.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2019, 3:13 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I get angry when I get called certain things when I don't deserve it. Like when people (who know me well) say I'm "like a child" when I am hyper (I have ADHD). I just find it insulting like I can't be myself any more because of my age. I don't mean acting irresponsible or babyish, I just mean when I am quite ecstatic. When people critically say anything to do with me being like a child, I feel angry and the words they used repeat over in my head for the rest of the day. I even got angry at my boyfriend when he criticised me for wearing a stripy t-shirt that said "Miami" on the front in pink. He was like, "why are you wearing that? You're a 29-year-old, not 16!" He had had a few drinks but even so, I got offended because I didn't see anything childish about my t-shirt.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on about myself here. I was just saying that I can relate to you about getting angry at certain remarks.

He probably thinks if you look younger it makes him look older. Or if there's an age gap, it makes it look bigger.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2019, 4:10 pm

Joe90 wrote:
"why are you... You're a 29-year-old, not 16!" He had had a few drinks but even so, I got offended because I didn't see anything childish about...

That totally happened to me in my early 20s. I was happy and sat on a bed with a bounce (gasp!); a salesperson berated me. I don't remember what he said but clearly he did not appreciate my enthusiasm. Thankfully 25 years later my NT husband continues to appreciate my childlike ways. He doesn't call them childlike, but I can see that others would see them that way.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2019, 3:02 am

SuSaNnA wrote:
I get really really angry when people on the internet accuse or call me all sorts of things.
Words like "stupid", "sexist", "racist", etc can make me really angry for hours, and I cannot calm down.

Do you have difficulty calming down from anger in general, regardless of what is making you angry? Or just in certain kinds of situations such as the ones you described in this thread?

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Sep 2019, 6:01 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
SuSaNnA wrote:

Do you have difficulty calming down from anger in general, regardless of what is making you angry? Or just in certain kinds of situations such as the ones you described in this thread?

I have trouble calming down if I think people have misunderstood me.
Because even if I try to explain, they won't believe me.

I calm down much quicker for other types of anger, such as missing a bus.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2019, 6:05 am

You might need anger management or therapy

But not for those reasons

Counseling is a money making service

Business

Counselors , of course would insist that you need counseling

Counseling could "help", "hurt", or stay the same

Only one out of the three is to your advantage

And if it "helps", is it worth cost benefit analysis

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2019, 9:41 am

SuSaNnA wrote:
I have trouble calming down if I think people have misunderstood me.
Because even if I try to explain, they won't believe me.

I calm down much quicker for other types of anger, such as missing a bus.

I would suggest that you try to avoid, as much as possible, the kinds of situations where people won't be willing to listen to clarifications.

Online, avoid Twitter, avoid large Facebook groups/pages, and avoid large, unmoderated forums. Stick with small, well-moderated forums like one.