Asperger's And Maturity: How slow did you grow up?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Xenophobitress
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Aug 2012, 4:03 pm

And what age did you wish you were? Sometimes I wanna be like 13 again and I'm 18, but 18 is the prime if you let it be!

Somberlain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2012, 4:15 pm

I feel immature, but people say that my behavior fluctuates. Sometimes I may behave like a grandfather.

Xenophobitress wrote:
And what age did you wish you were?

A very hard question. Can I eliminate bullying from the equation? I would like to say sixteen, but I don't want to return my high school horror show.

English is not my native language. 1000th edit, here I come.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 5:10 pm

i wanna be 10 again. ^_^

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

SpectrumWarrior
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Aug 2012, 5:25 pm

Can I be 16 again with enough self-esteem to realize there are actually some girls who are into me. There's a few I can think back on, man how I could be so oblivious. Then I remember the six year frienemie I had who ground my self-esteem into the dirt. I had come to believe the put downs and was ignorant to female interest for quite some time, even though I can recall a few times where only a verbal announcement would have been any clearer.

At 30 I feel like I should've known what I do now at least, at least, 10 years ago. Ah well, it's better than being an NT to me!

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 6:35 pm

I'm going to turn 28 in less than a month, and it seems like in most aspects of my life it's like I'm 21. I have one year of college left, and my overall life skills are <= that age, typically. I played with kids' toys well into my teens, only developed "teen" interests in my late teens/early 20's, and took until my mid-20's to truly figure out what I wanted to go to school for. I've been told I have the energy of a 12-year-old.

So I think it may be a good thing if I was legally 21 or 22.

AQ: 33

IMCarnochan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Aug 2012, 7:01 pm

I was 80 when I was 5, my wife now says I am about 12 and I am physically 35. I figure in a few years I will be a zygote.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 7:33 pm

24 and still not grown up yet :?

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

SteffiTheSmile
Toucan
Toucan

21 Aug 2012, 7:54 pm

I'm 14, and want to be 3 :P.
I don't think my online friends think I'm immature, but my mum says I'm 10, which is something I agree with :P.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 8:10 pm

Though I'm 37 years old, I'll feel like a 21 year old 60s Mod forever. 8)

daydreamersworld
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Aug 2012, 8:12 pm

I dont feel as though im grown up like others my age but it doesnt bother me cus i enjoy being like this. I sometimes have my moments where i just feel as toddler and other times as a child or a preteen. I've always wished i was 4 again. I just feel so uninterested in doin stuff other people my age are doin like figuring out what career i wanna do and goin to college i would rather go to the store and buy doll clothes for my dolls :D

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 12:31 am

I'm 25 and can't wait to get into my 30s, most of my friends are either teenagers or late 30s/early 40s and I'm hoping that by the time I get to that age, I'll actually have friends my own age!

benr3600
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Aug 2012, 2:11 am

SpectrumWarrior wrote:
Can I be 16 again with enough self-esteem to realize there are actually some girls who are into me. There's a few I can think back on, man how I could be so oblivious. Then I remember the six year frienemie I had who ground my self-esteem into the dirt. I had come to believe the put downs and was ignorant to female interest for quite some time, even though I can recall a few times where only a verbal announcement would have been any clearer.

At 30 I feel like I should've known what I do now at least, at least, 10 years ago. Ah well, it's better than being an NT to me!

Could you elaborate this experience, please? I am interested because I believe I'm dealing with the same situation.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 3:14 am

I'm not sure what growing up is or looks like.

I played starvation-level pro rock & roll until the age of 35.

Thought I would get a book published until age 50.

Now it's too late to grow up, I've already grown old.

Without much growing to show for it all.

EQ: 6.

so_subtly_strange
Toucan
Toucan

23 Aug 2012, 3:56 am

i often feel socially more comfortable with people who are a few years younger than me. many parts of me are still child like, most of all my insecurities and self esteem issues, though they rarely surface. usually surface when i loose a job. I hate feeling inadequate, it sets my confidence back so far, for a short time

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 4:09 am

so_subtly_strange wrote:
i often feel socially more comfortable with people who are a few years younger than me. many parts of me are still child like, most of all my insecurities and self esteem issues, though they rarely surface. usually surface when i loose a job. I hate feeling inadequate, it sets my confidence back so far, for a short time

Can totally relate to that- when I was at school, most of my friends were 4-5 years younger than me and now I'm friends mainly with people either 5-10 years younger or 5-15 years older! At some point, I'll have friends my own age...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 10:13 am

I think it's quite normal for adults to want to be kids again, especially if they are under a lot of pressure now and had quite a happy, easygoing childhood. I actually overheard a conversation the other day where people were saying what ages they would be if they could turn the clocks back, and they all wished they could be around the ages of 7 and 10 again.

I often have dreams where I am an adult in a child's body. So I know what I know now, but I magically turned my body into the size of a 7-year-old, so that I can play and do other things without looking stupid or ret*d, but still having a mature mind to say ''wow, I can get away with acting like this because everybody thinks I'm a cute little 7-year-old where my mind is actually 22!'' I sometimes wish this could happen in real life, where I will be old enough to appreciate being small.