Am I the only one who talks like this?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Qbeez999
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Sep 2019, 4:45 pm

The most I can talk is one sentence and only when someone talks to me first. And when I do talk I first take a deep breath. I can talk 'normally' to family but anyone else I just can't help taking a deep breath first. My voice is also very low (I'm female).

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2019, 5:02 pm

I don't talk like that but there are likely to be others who do.
Don't worry. Relax and enjoy being you. :)

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 5:37 pm

If I'm feeling very anxious or overwhelmed, it can effect my speaking in all sorts of odd ways, and one of them is very like you describe. I'll breathe in deeply when I realise that I'll have to speak, and I'll quite often hold it for quite a while if the other person is still finishing. Then I try to get the whole sentence out in a single breath, getting squeakier and squeakier as I run out of air - followed by a gasp for the next breath, usually. I have to know exactly what I'm going to say beforehand, and to have practised in my head, too - once it get's that hard for me to speak, I can't decide what to say as I go along at all.

It's not often for me that it's that bad - but there's kind of a scale between being able to talk fluently and that, with a bit in the middle where I pause, stutter, repeat bits, forget words, and that kind of thing.