Friendly banter in children's TV shows

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 7:53 pm

There was a news article recently about how the main puppeteer from a TV show that I watched as a young child about 35 years ago had died. The show was called The Friendly Giant.

This inspired me to go find an old episode on YouTube, and as I watched it, I found myself remarking just how difficult it would have been to actually participate in the friendly conversation had between the Friendly Giant, Rusty (the chicken puppet) and Jerome (the Giraffe puppet). I certainly don't recall thinking the conversation would have been a difficult one when I watched it at age 4, but then I wouldn't have been thinking about the difficulty of conversion then.

Here's a link to the episode I watched. What do people think?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JadtKIRWD2Y

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 10:27 pm

I found the conversation kind of difficult to follow because it seemed like all three characters were talking at once. About a barber pole! And getting haircuts! So sure I knew what they were talking about but I had to be switched on to get it, not relaxed.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 7:52 am

Kukla, Fran and Ollie, from the 50s, had lots of banter.

It was a very well-regarded show with many fans. An icon of the Baby Boomer generation.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 12 Sep 2019, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2019, 8:03 am

Whilst I may have been guilty from time to time of butting into other's conversations (something everyone does from time to time), it really does grate when someone buts into a conversion you are having with them one-to-one.

In this case (having seen part of one episode), I wonder if the actor is cueing the two puppetiers (because they can't see each other)? Other than that it is just badly delivered/rehearsed, perhaps?