A lot of frustration after Autism Level 2 Diagnosis

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

cbowman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2019, 6:56 pm

I was diagnosed with Autism Level 2 last May. I am 33. I do have employment history since 18, but I struggle to keep a job. I have had a few jobs that were mostly part time I was able to keep because I had someone supporting me prior to my diagnosis. One time I lived in the Grand Canyon “for free” for over two years with a significant other before my diagnosis and a lot of my constant social problems seemed like they were minimized then.

My work history is mixed. I’ve worked as a web developer, I’ve worked at a call center, country club .. among other jobs..

In the past two years I’ve probably started at least 10 jobs and have applied for well over 200.

I’m currently facing being homeless again as I am unemployed again.

I was diagnosed in May with Autism Level 2, but also for the first time in my life I’ve been facing legal action against me from my parent and to make it short I have to spend $180 a month to be in compliance with court order.. (the story is rediclious and I had my abusive parent as a teacher in school who was a teacher on illegal drugs for 30+ years
and never tested at all.)

When I was diagnosed in May with Autism Level 2, I had to get a job immediately since I was homeless. I worked one job at an answering service for almost two months, and then I worked at a health insurance place part time for around three months.. Both jobs, I still had all the issues I had before my diagnosis.

I applied for SSDI and SSI at the same time a few days ago and I’m really scared! They called me within 24 hours of filing out application for a few questions. I told her I’m facing homelessness right now. I have read SSI will do immediate payments for new applications and I called and they told me I need to show up to the local security office and ask if they will do an immediate payment since I an facing homelessness.

I’m just really frustrated. My career counselor didn’t remember our appointment and canceled after I already drove there, she didn’t remember I took a temporary job for health insurance..

I don’t know what to do. Most services seem like more work AND a way to make your life even more hard so far then helpful.

I don’t know I’m just really frustrated.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2019, 7:20 pm

Make another appointment. Do you have the contact number for that social worker you talked to?

It sounds like you're going through rough times.

Do you have another diagnosis besides Autism?

cbowman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2019, 7:39 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Make another appointment. Do you have the contact number for that social worker you talked to?

It sounds like you're going through rough times.

Do you have another diagnosis besides Autism?

Well I have severe asthma and allergies since I was 5, though I haven’t been to the doctor for it in years. I did however land myself in the hospital for asthma about five times in my mid and late 20’s because I lived with someone with a cat , but they took care of me and helped me a lot with my autism symptoms when I lived in the Grand Canyon with them. I’m glad I haven’t been to the hospital for asthma since!

I was diagnosed with Bi Polar at 19 after I failed college the first year. I actually self mutilated my face and caused scaring then when I was in college and working in the library. She wanted me on medication and I was scared and don’t want to be on pills. Instead I stayed inside at 19 for 7 months or so and hardly ever left and made money with websites with google then. Before smart phones! Lol

I did make another appointment with the rehabilation center here that is next week. I don’t know what they could do besides help me get another job? I did apply for more jobs on my own but got turned down for two so far.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2019, 7:43 pm

I work in a college library. It's usually a pretty easy gig there.

Much better than working in a call center.

At least you have job history---so you just might be able to get SSDI----which is about $200 or $300 more than SSI.

Usually, people who apply to either SSI or SSDI are rejected the first time. If you really want to pursue this, you can hire a lawyer "on contingency"---it's free unless you win the case. I've heard many stories of people succeeding the second time they apply to SSDI/SSI.

That must have been fascinating---living in the Grand Canyon!

cbowman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2019, 7:52 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I work in a college library. It's usually a pretty easy gig there.

Much better than working in a call center.

At least you have job history---so you just might be able to get SSDI----which is about $200 or $300 more than SSI.

Usually, people who apply to either SSI or SSDI are rejected the first time. If you really want to pursue this, you can hire a lawyer "on contingency"---it's free unless you win the case. I've heard many stories of people succeeding the second time they apply to SSDI/SSI.

That must have been fascinating---living in the Grand Canyon!

Thank you for reading and replying! :)

I thought about a lawyer, but when I called like four or five before. It was multiple weeks of nothing it felt like and just a lot of communicating to people I just don’t think I would trust. I dunno sometimes I just get weary of talking or dealing with anyone from the state of Kentucky. I think I have a huge negative feeling towards people here so I just applied on my own instead. I dunno I just people scare me always.

I went to the Grand Canyon as a kid so I wasn’t too surprised!. It was nice to walk the trails in the forest and be away from people though!

Thanks for reading

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2019, 2:59 am

With a solid level 2 diagnosis, ideally you should not have a problem with obtaining SSDI. Often the worst part of a situation like this is all the worry and and stress that happens until it is resolved.

I have never had to deal with this since I was diagnosed very young, so when I became an adult being put on SSDI was more of an automatic thing. But then again my parents handled it and they have a lawyer.

Krafty is right SSDI will likely show you a certain amount of resistance and it's a "squeaky wheel gets the oil" thing.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2019, 3:24 am

Also consider yourself "lucky" in a way because you can do more stuff than myself and other level 2 people I know can't.

I also know level 2's who can hold a job to a degree, drive a car and not have to have a full-time "babysitter" so there's nothing unusual about that, but I think that happens less often.

Please keep us updated. I'm concerned about you and I would like to know how things work out for you.

cbowman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2019, 4:30 am

EzraS wrote:
Also consider yourself "lucky" in a way because you can do more stuff than myself and other level 2 people I know can't.

I also know level 2's who can hold a job to a degree, drive a car and not have to have a full-time "babysitter" so there's nothing unusual about that, but I think that happens less often.

Please keep us updated. I'm concerned about you and I would like to know how things work out for you.

Thanks for reading, I appreciate it.

The times I was able to hold jobs were all very specific circumstances that made it possible for me to based on the person or people I kinda had taking care of me. And even at the jobs I was able to keep ever, I kinda probably played up my childlike qualities based on my appearance more (really my social problems) a bit more I would think than a normal person would ever do continually at a job if that makes sense. The web company I was alone in a room with one other person so that’s how I could keep that one for awhile.

I guess I don’t have much experience with other people to compare that are Level 2. My cousin however is autistic also, but I don’t know him that well since he is much younger than me etc.

The paper does say “an ongoing diagnosis” I think so I’m not sure exactly what that meant.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2019, 5:40 am

cbowman wrote:
EzraS wrote:

The times I was able to hold jobs were all very specific circumstances that made it possible for me to based on the person or people I kinda had taking care of me. And even at the jobs I was able to keep ever, I kinda probably played up my childlike qualities based on my appearance more (really my social problems) a bit more I would think than a normal person would ever do continually at a job if that makes sense. The web company I was alone in a room with one other person so that’s how I could keep that one for awhile.

I guess I don’t have much experience with other people to compare that are Level 2. My cousin however is autistic also, but I don’t know him that well since he is much younger than me etc.

The paper does say “an ongoing diagnosis” I think so I’m not sure exactly what that meant.

I understand what you're saying. That's why I said to a degree. Just barely under just the right circumstances. Which doesn't cut it for providing a livelihood. And it sucks because you're really intelligent but there are these damn neurological roadblocks. Very frustrating stuff.

There's old saying that if you have met one autistic, you've met them all one autistic. We all have similarities but we are all also different. Just like everyone else is different from each other. Only once in a while I come across someone here who's circumstances are very similar to mine.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2019, 6:43 am

Hello cbowman. It sounds like you are in a tough place and I can sympathize with that because I work with people with autism and other developmental disabilities and try to get services for them. But I work in a different state.

I did a bit of google searching and Kentucky does have a Home and Community Based Waiver for people with developmental disabilities. You want to get on this program, because it can provide you with help in your home. Autism is a developmental disability. You can find more information here:

https://chfs.ky.gov/agencies/dms/dca/id ... fault.aspx

You want to make an application and pursue it right away. You want to be sure you keep in a safe place documentation of your autism diagnosis. In my state, you must be able to prove your autism was diagnosed before your 18th birthday, but I don't see where that is true in Kentucky. There is a waiting list, so you should apply as soon as you can. You can do the application online and you probably can do that in a library if you don't have your own computer. You want the MPW Waiver.

I don't know about Kentucky, but in my state, being homeless gets you onto the Waiver sooner, as it is then deemed "a crisis." But don't be fooled by the crisis appellation. It will still take 2-6 months to process a "crisis." :roll:

For SSDI you can apply online and it seems you have already done that. Make sure you have any documentation they tell you to bring to the appointment. Do not give up. Typically people have to apply several times before getting SSDI, or SSI for that matter.

You can also go to Vocational Rehabilitation for help finding and keeping a job. After a bunch of paperwork, appointments, etc, etc, they will get you a job coach and help you find and keep a job. The job coach lasts for three months after you get a job and can be extended to six months.

https://kcc.ky.gov/Vocational-Rehabilit ... fault.aspx

If you become homeless, here are some contacts that might help you.

https://www.hud.gov/states/kentucky/homeless/shelters

All services for people needing help are underfunded and understaffed. The system counts on discouraging people and hoping they will drop out of requests for assistance. This is not right and it is not fair, but it is what it is.

You have to be strong and stubborn and just keep trying. It is worth the effort because once these services are in place, it becomes easier to maintain the services and the help they provider can give you some stability to get on with your life.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions. That's the only way we learn.

cbowman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2019, 5:53 pm

blazingstar wrote:
Hello cbowman. It sounds like you are in a tough place and I can sympathize with that because I work with people with autism and other developmental disabilities and try to get services for them. But I work in a different state.

I did a bit of google searching and Kentucky does have a Home and Community Based Waiver for people with developmental disabilities. You want to get on this program, because it can provide you with help in your home. Autism is a developmental disability. You can find more information here:

https://chfs.ky.gov/agencies/dms/dca/id ... fault.aspx

You want to make an application and pursue it right away. You want to be sure you keep in a safe place documentation of your autism diagnosis. In my state, you must be able to prove your autism was diagnosed before your 18th birthday, but I don't see where that is true in Kentucky. There is a waiting list, so you should apply as soon as you can. You can do the application online and you probably can do that in a library if you don't have your own computer. You want the MPW Waiver.

I don't know about Kentucky, but in my state, being homeless gets you onto the Waiver sooner, as it is then deemed "a crisis." But don't be fooled by the crisis appellation. It will still take 2-6 months to process a "crisis." :roll:

For SSDI you can apply online and it seems you have already done that. Make sure you have any documentation they tell you to bring to the appointment. Do not give up. Typically people have to apply several times before getting SSDI, or SSI for that matter.

You can also go to Vocational Rehabilitation for help finding and keeping a job. After a bunch of paperwork, appointments, etc, etc, they will get you a job coach and help you find and keep a job. The job coach lasts for three months after you get a job and can be extended to six months.

https://kcc.ky.gov/Vocational-Rehabilit ... fault.aspx

If you become homeless, here are some contacts that might help you.

https://www.hud.gov/states/kentucky/homeless/shelters

All services for people needing help are underfunded and understaffed. The system counts on discouraging people and hoping they will drop out of requests for assistance. This is not right and it is not fair, but it is what it is.

You have to be strong and stubborn and just keep trying. It is worth the effort because once these services are in place, it becomes easier to maintain the services and the help they provider can give you some stability to get on with your life.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions. That's the only way we learn.

Thank you for all the information! :heart: I looked for the MVP Waiver online for my state, but looks like I’ll need to call.

cbowman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2019, 6:00 pm

EzraS wrote:
cbowman wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I understand what you're saying. That's why I said to a degree. Just barely under just the right circumstances. Which doesn't cut it for providing a livelihood. And it sucks because you're really intelligent but there are these damn neurological roadblocks. Very frustrating stuff.

There's old saying that if you have met one autistic, you've met them all one autistic. We all have similarities but we are all also different. Just like everyone else is different from each other. Only once in a while I come across someone here who's circumstances are very similar to mine.

Thank you. When and if I do work I am a bit more intense about learning and a bit slower and end up kinda being determental to myself each time I start a new job.. like maybe can’t eat .. I mean I’m always stimming. Constant hair twirling would be one.. It is like I’m moving mountains to make it happen or something like that each time.

cbowman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2019, 3:10 pm

Autism Speaks helped me based on my circumstances. I feel so greatful right now.