Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Akakakh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jan 2020, 6:14 pm

What are everyone's coping techniques when you feel on the verge of a meltdown? Mine is that I like to get into a running shower and curl up on the floor :) I'm always interested in how everyone else copes.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2020, 8:15 pm

I have analysed myself and found what areas I find particularly important and acted in them. Work goes to the back of what is important. I will probably do some mindfulness for one thing, and take a shower or a bath so I feel clean. I'll take care of my skin and also wake up early to do make up. All these come together to make me feel a teenee bit better about myself. I then do my best to limit my workload by talking to my teachers and one of the support staff at my college or even my tutor. I have other staff who also help me because of my dyspraxia that I can go to to contact my teachers. Basically, taking care of myself with mindfulness, exercise and general cleanliness becomes a priority and I have to let the work go. After doing this for awhile, if it was not too bad, I stabilise. I also take breaks from people in my house and limit social contact. I may wear sunglasses to reduce sensory input or happily stim when I feel safe. Masking is switched off. As much energy as possible must be preserved.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2020, 9:37 am

My strategy is first to stop, minimize spoken language and tell people I need a break (for safe people) or whatever cover story to non safe people that excuses me from being around others. I then go to a lonely safe pace I have already scoped out and minimize sensory input (NC headphones, sun glasses), stim, breathe and let it move through me.