Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 12:31 am

I had an interview today with a disability support organization who examined my daily living and executive functioning skills in order to set me up with in-home services for things like learning how to cook, reminders for cleaning and hygiene, help with budgeting, and going out into the community with me to help me if I get overwhelmed or upset and have a meltdown (this is a big reason I don't really go out recreationally at all at the moment).

What services or supports do you receive for your autism?

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 2:06 am

I don't really need any support.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 3:10 am

None officially. My wife is very supportive and understanding though

B19
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 5:02 am

Because I am physically disabled, I get one hour of household help once every fortnight.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 5:13 am

I used to get 11 one-hour counselling visits a year. The counsellor has semi-retired now, but still sees me occasionally. We tried to go to a meeting together, so she could observe my social interaction, but it never happened.
The productive times in my life were when I had friends or business partners in a combination that let me avoid most other people, or at least get feedback and help where I needed it. This happened when we were both interested in the same project, and their interest was what I need to have confidence in the relevance of my work, which could go in many directions.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 8:58 am

None, unless I purchase them.
Canada seems to have their act together when it comes to autism specific supports.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 9:15 am

Diagnosed after 18

Department of rehab was just smoke and mirrors. Ass holes didn't :evil: help :evil: me get a job. Counselor rude, condescending, lazy, arrogant. But she was just "be true to yourself". And it was 12 years ago. :roll:

Disabled bus pass, discount

No government benefits

No testing accommodation

No reasonable accommodation at work

No job

Unless pay out of pocket, :evil: for autism diagnosis, :twisted: won't and can't have:.

Housekeeping
Chauffeur
Cook
Tutor
Counseling

s**t I am way too lazy, executive processing dysfunctional, disorganized to accomplish jack s**t

As I get older it's only rapidly getting much worse

Slippery slope

Graceful degradation

Inevitable

Mussolini was "helping" the Gestapo

"Help" is not always a good thing

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 9:54 am

Amity wrote:
Canada seems to have their act together when it comes to autism specific supports.

Whatever gave you that idea? The only good counsellor I had quit because of micro-management by the bureaucracy. In general, I have found our system being managed by agents from private medicine, hoping to ruin Medicare, and they are doing very well. The system now serves the administration first, the druggist second, and the patient last, with the doctor reduced to an interchangeable prescription clerk to maintain a liability wall.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 10:02 am

StarTrekker wrote:

I don't have any support besides my therapist and group therapy once a month. That's it though. I could really use help managing money honestly. I had hoped my significant other might be good at that, but he is even worse with money than I am, even though he is NT :roll:

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 10:03 am

Dear_one wrote:
Amity wrote:

Whatever gave you that idea? The only good counsellor I had quit because of micro-management by the bureaucracy. In general, I have found our system being managed by agents from private medicine, hoping to ruin Medicare, and they are doing very well. The system now serves the administration first, the druggist second, and the patient last, with the doctor reduced to an interchangeable prescription clerk to maintain a liability wall.

I see.
Im likely wrong in that case but I taught Startrekker lives in Canada?
Anyway the amount of services available to her is impressive.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 10:51 am

Fern wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:

I don't have any support besides my therapist and group therapy once a month. That's it though. I could really use help managing money honestly. I had hoped my significant other might be good at that, but he is even worse with money than I am, even though he is NT :roll:

I've known many NTs in my life professionally and personally who are terrible at managing money. I'm very careful about my money.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 11:02 am

Apologies for the diversion, but I would like to teach money management to some people who try to borrow money from me. What goes wrong? Does it seem like each check must be large enough to cover food after having a celebration? Do you get stuck buying high-priced garbage? Commit to a bit more than you can afford on monthly bills? Give it away?

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 3:03 pm

Amity wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
Amity wrote:

I see.

No, actually I live in the US. I'm fortunate to have Medicaid, which provides access to a good number of services.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 3:07 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Diagnosed after 18

Unless pay out of pocket, :evil: for autism diagnosis, :twisted: won't and can't have:....

I'm confused, you have a diagnosis but you have to pay for another one to get services? Why is that?

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 3:18 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
Amity wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
Amity wrote:

I see.

No, actually I live in the US. I'm fortunate to have Medicaid, which provides access to a good number of services.

Fortunate indeed that it exists, I imagine otherwise your situation would be very different.
Aside from core medicaid services, from what I understand, different states have different quantities of support. I know this is a generalisation, excuse my ignorance as such... if you lived in a low population state, would you still have access to the same range of services?

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 3:28 pm

Amity wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:
Amity wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
Amity wrote:

I see.

Fortunate indeed that it exists, I imagine otherwise your situation would be very different.
Aside from core medicaid services, from what I understand, different states have different quantities of support. I know this is a generalisation, excuse my ignorance as such... if you lived in a low population state, would you still have access to the same range of services?

It's unlikely. I live in a fairly high population state that I think has more services than average, but I share a border with a very low population state that has very few services on offer. I think it's a lot about where you end up within the country which sucks and shouldn't be a factor.