Were You Ever Told Off For Your Lack Of Dress Sense?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 6:23 am

I was often being told off or criticized for this. It wasn't that my clothes were not acceptable. They were fine. It was more that they were old fashioned or that they did not match? I don't know. Somehow whatever I wore which I thought looked good was not what others thought looked good. Haha. I even argued, "Shall I take them off and walk naked?" I was that fed up at the remarks about my clothes and hairstyle (Or lack of it!)
Now I am older I dress for comfort. I do not care what others think. If they do not like it, it is their problem not mine! I think if someoe criticizes me I will start criticizing their clothes and fasion style. Why not? Mind you, when I have in the past retaliated like that they get all upset! But how do they think I feel?
But I am older now so I just get stared at... The funny thing is that little kiddies look at me and they somehow like me and want to approach me! But their parents grab their kids... Aren't adults strange! I am no threat. And the way I dress I don't look stupid. The clothes cover me and are practical unlike some of the crazy fasions!

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 7:06 am

Yes, when I was younger I had no dress sense at all. I have no natural sense of fashion, but I have an NT wife who has dress sense and buys all my clothes for me, so now I don't look like a homeless person and people don't comment anymore.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 7:11 am

My wife still says I look like a hobo though. But she is actually insulting herself as she bought the clothes I wear. My autistic daughter has crazy sense of fashion and mixes all kinds of colors and materials and styles, too the horror and embarrassment of her NT sister.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 7:21 am

I was when I was younger, my mother ended up picking out clothes for me. This continued until I was 14 or so, then I just wore whatever I could find that was clean and weather appropriate. Nowadays I wear a flannel shirt and jeans in the winter, the colours usually match, this repetitive style makes it simpler to get dressed every morning.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 7:38 am

Yes--I have been told in the past when I was a kid that I didn't know how to dress myself. Now that I'm a little bit older I sometimes hear that I dress way too formally and that the clothes I do like are out of date.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 7:42 am

Borromeo wrote:
Yes--I have been told in the past when I was a kid that I didn't know how to dress myself. Now that I'm a little bit older I sometimes hear that I dress way too formally and that the clothes I do like are out of date.

I love dress clothes, so I do not blame you, I once wore a 30s style suit to school for the heck of it. :)

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 7:49 am

I was dressed by my mother until the age of 16: usually in striped t-shirt, checked shirts and cords... which was considered very uncool by other kids :lol:
Then I tried to simultaneously express my feeling of outsideryness and fit in at the same time by having a goth phase... I oscillated between that and hobo-punk up until my late twenties. Lots of stick in school, but I got stubborn and developed an “up yours” attitude about it: hardly any in my twenties, but then all the people I associated with were either students or rockers so I wasn’t unremarkable in context.
Now I have three “looks”:
“Tradesman” for work, “scruff-bag” at home, and “old-fashioned, but all the colours” for being out and about whilst not working.
My NT wife has intervened to ensure my clothes all more-or-less fit me though! :lol:
(And wishes I wore the last all the time: it’s one of the things she first found attractive about me... apparently I’m cool)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 8:05 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Were You Ever Told Off For Your Lack Of Dress Sense?
Many times, especially as a child. Most of my clothes back then were mis-matched hand-me-downs. Being clueless about having an ASD until my mid-fifties didn't help, either.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 8:27 am

All the time as a kid, both by adults and other kids. These days I have a pretty good dress sense, though sometimes I skip certain gatherings simply because I don't know how to dress.

One of my cousins is getting married at the end of the summer and I'm apparently invited, but I have no idea what to wear.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 8:57 am

No, people usually tell me I dress nicely. My style of dress has become more casual in the last couple of years because I can't always wear dresses at work if I'm performing duties that involve a lot of bending and stretching.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 12:48 pm

As a kid, my mom was often sending me back upstairs to change because I "looked like a ragamuffin." Eventually I learned that jeans and a T-shirt were usually a safe choice and started only wearing those. Try to have me put together an outfit that isn't jeans and a T-shirt, and I'm absolutely clueless.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 1:28 pm

Plenty of precious lil. "people" had the nerve to tell me:

"Pull up your pants"

"You make people uncomfortable with the way you dress!"

"Nice shirt", "nice shoes", "nice pants", sarcastically

"You need to wear a gi" (suit)

"Dress professionally"

But not as dramatic as "told off"

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 1:50 pm

I wear what I want when I want without any regard for fashion.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 2:17 pm

I get told that I'm too thin and that my greying beard makes me look ancient. People have said that I wear dull, green and brown colours and encouraged me to wear brighter clothes, shave, get a hair style etc. I can make all of those changes and get a better reception from people that don't interest me but there's really no point. A good compromise is to wear black and shave with clippers and I suppose it does feel nice to look more presentable sometimes. I don't generally comment on people's appearances, my friends aren't self conscious about that kind of thing.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 4:50 pm

I don't dress drastically out of the ordinary, but I do like comfort. Well I look for comfort but trendy. I like hoodies with a vest top underneath and jeans or non-denim trousers, and trainers or boots.
In the warm weather I like to wear shorts with comfortable sandals, and a t-shirt or vest top.

But I have been criticized because I don't wear skirts or dresses. I wear a dress if I'm going to a formal gathering like a wedding, but otherwise I don't feel right wearing a dress for everyday wear, and I never wear skirts. I prefer shorts or trousers.
I've also been criticized for looking "scruffy", even though my clothes aren't meant to be scruffy and I'm not even going out anywhere.

Callisthenes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Mar 2020, 7:12 pm

Nope. I think I got a good dress sense.