Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What are your Co-occuring Diagnosis/issues?
Bipolar 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
Tourette's 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
ADHD 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Impulse Control Disorder 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Seizures/Eplilsey 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
PTSD 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
Anxiety 27%  27%  [ 20 ]
Adjustment Disorder 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Learning Disabilities 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Other Neurological (share if you want) 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
Other (Share if you want) 12%  12%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 73

barbuto22
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Location: An out of a place Italian in the upper Midwest of the U.S.

05 Apr 2020, 2:26 pm

You can comment about if you think these have changed as an adult.

Be sure you right, then go ahead and do it.- Davy Crockett (1786-1836)

You'll find that wanting is more pleasureful then having its not logical, but true. Spock

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2020, 8:38 pm

I also have OCD and agoraphobia.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2020, 12:44 am

In common with most I have had ongoing issues with anxiety all of my life

As Ive got older I wouldnt say that its diminished but I have developed better coping strategies

When I was younger I was treated for depression as a direct result of finding it difficult to manage my anxiety

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2020, 2:10 am

I have a diagnosis of ADHD, but I never felt like I have trouble paying attention.
I recently have found out I have OCD though. Heavy on the O, low on the C.

I my symptoms in all areas have gotten better since I was young, but mostly because I've learned what is going on in my brain and how to handle stressful situation better.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2020, 3:32 am

I got it from mother, along with a major attachment disorder. She never said "I love you" to either child.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2020, 5:07 am

Anxiety and ADHD.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2020, 5:21 am

Not something I feel happy answering re there are diagnoses I officially have, and those things I very probably have but have no official dx for . The latter being due to age, the myopia of many MH pros and their inability to look beyond a chronic mental illness .

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 8:10 am

Dear_one wrote:
I got it from mother, along with a major attachment disorder. She never said "I love you" to either child.

Might she have also had it?

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 10:10 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

Yes - is that not what I wrote?

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 11:03 am

Anxiety, occasionally depression as well

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 11:13 am

Dear_one wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

Yes - is that not what I wrote?

That is indeed what you wrote, at the time I interpreted it as the refrigerator mom trope; which would be unfair because most of us come from a long line of people just as blessed as we get to be.

Recently it occurred to me that the refrigerator mom trope was almost certainly referring to a second person in the household who might have ASD, while basically dismissing her situation because the social norms meant not caring about her well-being, so long as she was still fulfilling the role. (not emphasizing your mom, I'm saying women's mental health wasn't taken as seriously as men's)

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 11:21 am

^^ I don't know what a trope is, but IMHO, the theory that AS is caused by cold mothers caught the instances of genetic inheritance from the mother's side, but the observation that these mothers were cold was thrown out because mothers are generally above criticism. I don't know if AS is more common in men, or just more noticeable, given our role as the expendable scouts in society.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 11:30 am

Dear_one wrote:
^^ I don't know what a trope is, but IMHO, the theory that AS is caused by cold mothers caught the instances of genetic inheritance from the mother's side, but the observation that these mothers were cold was thrown out because mothers are generally above criticism. I don't know if AS is more common in men, or just more noticeable, given our role as the expendable scouts in society.

Quote:
a figurative or metaphorical use of a word or expression.
"he used the two-Americas trope to explain how a nation free and democratic at home could act wantonly abroad"

It would be interesting to understand how gender and sex impact one's likelihood to get diagnosed, it'd be nice if we had some way of understanding who counts but has fallen through the cracks too. My understanding is that men are more commonly diagnosed, but women are more likely to be significantly impacted.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 11:35 am

None. No official diagnosis for it either.

Any co-occuring conditions are either temporary and never permanent so far.
At worst, some had gone long term to chronic only to stop or disappear for days, weeks, months, years yet most at the time for good.

My true case would probably be a form of vulnerability that had already affected my developmental expressions, and is very prone to said co-occuring conditions. :| I just had to find the rules and the self-care system tailored for my needs to prevent any of it.
Once I do, I don't have to spend my time coping with complications that could easily mutate into a cycle and be a burden. I'd just get the 'ideal and adapting type of autism' that copes because it functons, as opposed to coping to function. I 'believe' so because I've seen what it was like.

Still figuring it out how to trigger my body to suddenly 'doing right' during sleep, and getting the missing natural essential ingredient daily instead of waiting for luck.
Because it already happened and it will happen again; I overcome forms of anxiety, depression, sensory defensiveness and even school refusal before adulthood after all.

So if I got any co-occuring conditions, I won't stop 'believing' it'll go away one way or another.
Because personal data said it happened, therefore it is logically plausible.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 11:58 am

Along with the AS and attachment disorder, I got a touch of bi-polar - enough to whet the edge of creativity, but also enough to make it hard to maintain a comforting, healthy schedule. The PTSD came later, from a series of surprises where I had expected logic to prevail.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 12:27 pm

By the time I hit adulthood I had developed a significant degree of anxiety, multiple substance abuse issues, bipolar and attachment issues. For someone who already had a deficit of executive function, it probably wasn't the greatest idea to engage in behaviours that would impair it further, but at the same time if I hadn't of started doing drugs I likely wouldn't have survived to adulthood in the first place. If you're gonna end up f****d either way, you might as well get to smile along the way.