Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2020, 5:41 pm

Can you name some?
Something other than the usual rocking, hand flapping, etc. The ones always listed on 'heres what asd is' sites
Something that maybe is less obvious or that blends into NT standards better

Sometimes I wonder if I actually stim because Ive never /really/ done any of those aforementioned typical suspects.
Buuuut those are things I know I never would've been allowed to do growing up, so maybe Ive transferred that energy elsewhere without even noticing? I definitely....fidget.....I guess is the best word for it. Repetitive movements. But like, all the time whenever Im just chilling. I dont think they get worse when Im stressed or anything nor do I think they're an inherently soothing action. I just....do it. I dunno.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2020, 11:50 pm

Repetitive vocalizations aren't often mentioned.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 12:03 am

I do have some of the stereotypical stims like rocking, but I also have some more subtle ones that don't scream "autism." I try to stick with the latter in public to avoid drawing attention to myself, but sometimes I start rocking or something without realizing it. Two things I do that most people either can't notice or accept as "normal" are jiggling a leg when I'm sitting down, and touching my tongue to the back of my teeth one at a time. I also can do something with my left hand (but not my right) that feels like I'm popping my thumb in and out of joint, that's another subtle one I do. And any small object like a pen or something that I come in contact with will be fiddled with.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 12:29 am

I have a hard time sitting normally. I try not to be too obvious but my legs are often intertwined, or my hands are between my thighs, or under one of my crossed legs. I keep a pen handy in case I need to hold it as a distraction.
I like rhythm in what I do, I avoid certain things or situations - not actually stimming, but the result is still to calm myself. I might control my breathing, or the tension in my shoulders, or loosen my shoelaces so I can retie them. I prefer work that has a physical aspect to it, a start/middle/end then go on to the next task. Sometimes I chew my nails.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 12:38 am

i feel a compulsion sometimes, to click my ankle tendons by flexing my ankles, when walking. i clear my throat a lot which makes me somewhat less than popular.

Mouka
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 May 2020, 1:18 am

I like to scratch my fingernails on printed paper, I guess that's the best way to describe it? Like when you're reading a book or studying in a college textbook or something, and you run your finger along the lines as you read? Sort of like that, only I'll press down really REALLY hard with my fingernail.

It feels amazing, I love the variations in texture between the white paper and the imprinted letters. It's gotten to a point where I have favourite paper types and printing styles based on how it feels under my nails. College textbooks are usually the best just because they have that creamy smooth paper that gives way easily without tearing, and deeply imprinted letters that have a very nice texture variation.

The BAD thing about it, though, is it just ruins books if I do it too much. I've taken my textbooks back for college buy-back only to have them turn my books away because they're "waterlogged". They're not waterlogged, the pages are just really warped from being scratched so much :oops: But I get embarrassed and just agree with the waterlogged thing.

auntblabby wrote:
i feel a compulsion sometimes, to click my ankle tendons by flexing my ankles, when walking. i clear my throat a lot which makes me somewhat less than popular.

I'm always clearing my throat, not really because anything in there needs clearing, it just feels nice for me. I never really thought of it as a stim before, but it definitely is! But now if I do it in public I'd get some really anxious glares because of the pandemic and all.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 1:34 am

i can't stand the feeling of post-nasal-drip drip-drip-dripping down my throat and accumulating around my vocal cords and interfering with my speech.