Do people generally want to die? Are they natural zombies?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Weirdness
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Apr 2020, 4:59 pm

I just can't believe there seems to be some strong urge to... "go out, die, kill..." - truly zombie movies were made with a pandemic in mind, but going out must be the stupidest fetish ever, like in what world is a place full of vehicles, noise, pollution, and garish lights worth dying over?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2020, 5:09 pm

Weirdness wrote:
I just can't believe there seems to be some strong urge to... "go out, die, kill..." - truly zombie movies were made with a pandemic in mind, but going out must be the stupidest fetish ever, like in what world is a place full of vehicles, noise, pollution, and garish lights worth dying over?
In what world is a place full of vehicles, noise, pollution, and garish lights worth living forever?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2020, 5:13 pm

Freedom. Fresh air. Sunshine. Exercise. Nature. Leisure. Socialization.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2020, 5:18 pm

The first six for me. Not necessarily the seventh.

Weirdness
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Apr 2020, 6:40 pm

Most of those aren't even available in a densely populated area, anyway... with regards to exercise I think it's best to have internal machinery that enables it... always still seemed strange that governments seemed to accept that people need to go out to exercise... for health, when they could get infected which would certainly impact their health and after which they wouldn't even continue exercising... but I doubt that is what people mostly want to do outside, at any rate... no, it's stupid, vain things while thousands die... selfishness is unbelievable.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2020, 7:21 pm

But most of these ARE available even in places like Manhattan, NYC.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2020, 9:03 pm

I've always thought I was in the minority in honestly not caring whether I live or die (although I'd like enough time beforehand to get rid of my horribly-written, half-formed stories so no one would find them and read them - yes, I really am that afraid of being judged for them). I think a good part of what's going on right now is that some people (the ones who insist on going out for trivial things and stuff) have a strong "Meh, it will never happen to me" mentality. I don't know why some people think infections/car wrecks/cancer/etc. won't happen to them, but it is a mentality I've noticed a subset of the population seem to have, that somehow it always happens to someone else and they themselves are somehow immune.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 5:18 am

It’s because people don’t desire to think about their own mortality.

I certainly don’t want to think about mine.

lliam420
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2020, 7:43 am

people value their feedom and liberty. "give me liberty or give me death"

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 8:24 am

The world contains seven billion population

Not everyone wants the same thing

Unless you are telepathic you don't know what someone else wants

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 1:06 pm

I think their reasons for rebelling against the safety rules and laws are mixed.
1. Most people hate being under virtual house arrest, often for good reasons, and some of them are starting to lose their patience.
2. Not everybody completely trusts and agrees with all the regulations or the way they are sometimes enforced, especially when some of those rules are arbitrary or the lawmakers responsible aren't of the person's preferred political brand, and / or their preferred political leader is egging them on to rebel (I won't mention any names here, but he knows who he is).
3. Not everybody is always able to work out what is safe and what isn't. Frankly I myself have a lot of difficulty in choosing whether or not to take great pains to avoid running a small risk of a very nasty event.

It could be put in many different ways, but it really doesn't surprise me that after weeks of staying home, some people are taking more risks than others think wise.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2020, 2:17 am

It is risk / reward isn't it.

Some people are happy to sit at home and take few risks - looking a pictures of Mount Everest etc on a computer screen. Others want to see Mount Everest for themselves.

To be fair one should have a "it won't happen to me" mentality, tempered with due diligence and planning for where you are going for the day, otherwise you'd never go anywhere or do anything.

An example. I very rarely visit cities. A while ago we went to one in the evening to a concert. Shortly before we'd had a spate of vehicles running into crowds in London etc. So it could happen in the place we went (very small risk), but the concert we were going to was ample reward for that small risk. As a precaution we walked on the pavements facing on coming traffic, so at least reducing the chance of some lunatic crashing in to us. Of course, nothing bad happened and we had a great time.

BUT I still wouldn't got wandering aimlessly round a city for the fun of it.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2020, 2:28 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
It could be put in many different ways, but it really doesn't surprise me that after weeks of staying home, some people are taking more risks than others think wise.

Wait till everyone is back out in the open.

Pedestrians (as a group) can be gormless at the best of times when they are near busy roads. They will have all got used to crossing roads without looking at all (even worse than normal). Once things are back to normal they will be being knocked down like skittles.

Ditto with drivers getting used to leaving junctions without looking if something is coming as for weeks there won't have been. Cue a spate of "pull out in front of" crashes once things return to normal.

Weirdness
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Apr 2020, 5:48 am

lliam420 wrote:
people value their feedom and liberty. "give me liberty or give me death"

Of course, in a pandemic we know what that is likely to default to... I've just read a bunch of yt comments and feel like bashing my head in after (as with most comments on that site), everyone was talking about these restrictions as if they're done for no reason, viruses were barely mentioned in fact (video didn't help by joking that it turns people into zombies, when in reality non-infected people can be the braindead zombies it seems). Liberty should be the state of affairs when there isn't a pandemic, but there is no damn liberty in death!

Like, seriously, what if this was Ebola or Nipah? Will people still want to polish their fingernails and risk almost certain bleeding from the inside? How much worse can it get before people are scared of non-existence?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2020, 8:09 am

harry12345 wrote:
Wait till everyone is back out in the open.

Pedestrians (as a group) can be gormless at the best of times when they are near busy roads. They will have all got used to crossing roads without looking at all (even worse than normal). Once things are back to normal they will be being knocked down like skittles.

Ditto with drivers getting used to leaving junctions without looking if something is coming as for weeks there won't have been. Cue a spate of "pull out in front of" crashes once things return to normal.

I'm hoping the return to normal will be slow and gradual, which should reduce such problems.