Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jul 2020, 6:46 am

I wasn't visibly excitable as a kid. I would get excited about things in my head but wouldn't express it. I liked getting presents (what kid didn't?) but wouldn't smile even if I liked the gift. Apparently I had subtle tells my mom could detect and would tell my aunt or whoever gave me the gift I liked it. I think maybe I just didn't like the attention.

I didn't like parties and I didn't dance and run around and scream in pure mirth the way other kids did, in fact I hated when other kids did that. I was more of a daydreamer. I didn't like getting dirty or wet either, no beach for me.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 9:43 am

I was the opposite; very hyperactive and excitable.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 10:05 am

A mixed bag. All on my moods' whim.

I'd be excitable, shy, mellow, aggressive entirely depends on my mood.
I'd be the kind who probably did it all.

... I socialize, go to parties and get loud, play with a lot of people, go to places and get dirty all because I'm bored.

The same can be said with me sitting on the corner alone, daydreaming, fiddling something.
Most likely either because I don't like being interrupted, the crowd bores me more than what I've been doing or simply not in a mood for it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Acton Bell
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2020, 11:44 am

I was very quiet and mostly very shy but became very animated when talking about, researching and drawing things to do with my special interests which were largely nature, animal and history based. I could talk about them fairly endlessly whether people wanted to hear about them or not!
I was very quiet and reserved at school though I often found the environment very stressful and would often shut down or be borderline mute some of the time. By contrast the majority of my meltdowns happened when I got home at the end of the day.

whatacrazyride
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2020, 1:15 pm

usagibryan wrote:
I wasn't visibly excitable as a kid. I would get excited about things in my head but wouldn't express it. I liked getting presents (what kid didn't?) but wouldn't smile even if I liked the gift. Apparently I had subtle tells my mom could detect and would tell my aunt or whoever gave me the gift I liked it. I think maybe I just didn't like the attention.

I didn't like parties and I didn't dance and run around and scream in pure mirth the way other kids did, in fact I hated when other kids did that. I was more of a daydreamer. I didn't like getting dirty or wet either, no beach for me.

Like someone else said, mixed bag for me. In my infant years, I would cry 16-20 hours a day (no exaggeration). As a toddler, I was a push-over; however, I was physically weak and was delayed significantly (29 weeks; 7 months in nICU). This carried on into my early school years, where I was easy-going, but became more talkative (I did not learn to talk or walk until age three). However, some abuse and a series of long hospital stays (in pICU - no parent), caused me to become increasingly violent. I began to realize that I didn't have a voice, and I believe that being violent was the answer, which led to some more terrible things. This carried on into my teenage years. My early adulthood years were depressive, and I was like an invisible man. Now, I am more easy-going, but I talk a lot, and I do enjoy social activities. I am not a conflict avoider, nor am I a seeker. As far as anger goes, I am a long wick attached to a very big bomb, if you know what I mean.

As far as birthdays and parties? What are those? I just spent my birthday in the hospital this year; I was in there from Jan 4 - May 22. I'm back at work now, so I'm happy. There were no parties for me, but a couple of messages. No one has thrown me a surprise party, and they better not :mrgreen: I don't like attention; even if it's for recognition at work. Probably because I don't know how to react.

LisaM1031
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jul 2020, 3:18 pm

So mellow that people used to joke about it. I was very quiet and couldn’t care less about socializing. I also had a very flat affect and rarely even smiled.

I’ve even had people joke about this as an adult, hoe I don’t show much emotion and have “no excitement.”

I’m not officially diagnosed with AS but most of the literature seems to fit me to a T. Also, based on what I wrote above I wonder if I also have schizoid personality disorder or something.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2020, 3:43 pm

I cycled between flat effect and energized/outwardly excitable.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2020, 3:48 pm

Yes I've always been fairly calm on the whole. I can be quite animated but I don't get all hysterical like a football crowd or whatever.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2020, 4:22 pm

I guess, I was a fairly distant kid - always in my world, be it the stone age, the classical music, being the mother of the latest collected insect..... but I allways thought, that people were vulnerable - and I HAD HURT THEM, if they looked remotely sensitive. I suppose, that was a kind of mellow.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2020, 7:38 pm

My AS mother didn't like noisy children, and I was afraid of abandonment, so I was not much trouble, and left as soon as I could.

GameCube
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2020, 12:33 am

I could be very mellow when I was a kid. There were times I was hyper and dramatic, but at parties I was definitely more mellow. I remember getting presents I really liked too and I didn't know how to express my appreciation. When kids were playing games I was alone with my thoughts or trying to play along, but I was always relatively silent. During class in elementary school I was extremely mellow and quiet. I went a long time thinking I just I lacked enthusiasm meanwhile other people mostly took me as being apathetic.