Does anyone here who's autistic have these problems?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Do any of these apply to you? (select all that apply)
Low self-esteem 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Sensitive to criticism 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Social anxiety 19%  19%  [ 17 ]
Uncomfortable being yourself 11%  11%  [ 10 ]
Depression 16%  16%  [ 15 ]
Worry about people thinking you're weird 12%  12%  [ 11 ]
Hide differences from other people 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
None of the above apply to me 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 91

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2020, 6:37 pm

I created a poll with 7 things I struggled with and would like to know if anyone here who is autistic can relate. Please select all that apply so I can see if any of them are common among autistic people.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2020, 10:52 pm

emotrtkey wrote:
I created a poll with 7 things I struggled with and would like to know if anyone here who is autistic can relate. Please select all that apply so I can see if any of them are common among autistic people.

I picked social anxiety because, i know i'm weird and don't try to hide it. and i view the depression as a symptom of burnout. as for as being sensitive to criticism ok maybe a bit

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2020, 11:05 pm

Selected all the options. I've improved greatly on some items in the last couple of years, but still struggle with them all to varying degrees. I've improved on social anxiety, self esteem, and depression so I generally feel stable now. These two are my biggest issues these days:

-Uncomfortable being yourself/Hide differences from other people/Worry about people thinking you're weird (these are all interconnected/the same thing?)

-Sensitive to criticism

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

31 Aug 2020, 11:27 pm

I only selected "sensitive to criticism" (although I've suffered from low self-esteem, uncomfortable being myself, and depression in the past...I currently do not, and haven't for some time now). I think I'll always be sensitive to criticism, it's part of being a perfectionist, and since I'm already pretty hard on myself in a lot of ways, once I find out someone else has even more criticism for me on top of that, I tend to be sensitive about it...I think people learn over time that criticism isn't the best way to get on my good side unless it is solicited, even if the intentions are supposedly good.

Carpeta
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2020, 11:32 pm

I won't vote as I am not necessarily autistic, but pretty much all of them either do apply or have applied to me.

RAADS-R: 122.0

Not a doctor.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 4:05 am

I selected all.

Quote:
Low self-esteem

My self-esteem has improved a bit since I've been in a relationship but sometimes I still feel like I'm not good enough in the social world.

Quote:
Sensitive to criticism

This depends. I hate being criticized about the things I like to do, or being criticized because I'm not doing what they think I 'should' be doing.

Quote:
Social anxiety

Although I've gotten better in the last couple of years, I still sometimes go into my she'll around certain people because I'm scared I might say the wrong thing and make a fool of myself.

Quote:
Uncomfortable being yourself

I do often wish I could be someone else, or be more confident without the fear of messing up.

Quote:
Depression

I get this on and off. Usually my depression comes from comparing my social life to my peers too much.

Quote:
Worry about people thinking you're weird

This is one of my worst fears. I get feel like this more when I'm public places. It really gets to me if people stare at me because I don't want anyone thinking I'm weird when I make the effort not to be weird.

Quote:
Hide differences from other people

I'm not sure what this means, but I do hide my ASD from other people. But there's not much to hide as I don't do many autistic behaviours anyway, but I usually pretend I'm not bothered by loud noises or I even pretend that I don't know much about autism if someone brings it up in a conversation.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 5:08 am

selected all 7 of them.

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Sep 2020, 3:11 pm

Feyokien wrote:
Selected all the options. I've improved greatly on some items in the last couple of years, but still struggle with them all to varying degrees. I've improved on social anxiety, self esteem, and depression so I generally feel stable now. These two are my biggest issues these days:

-Uncomfortable being yourself/Hide differences from other people/Worry about people thinking you're weird (these are all interconnected/the same thing?)

-Sensitive to criticism

Are you sensitive to all kinds of criticism, such as a teacher correcting a mistake on an exam, or just some types of criticism? I was always more sensitive to being criticized for being different. Most of my social anxiety was due to worrying that people would find out I was different and think I'm weird which also contributed to my low self-esteem that made me feel depressed.

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Sep 2020, 3:21 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
Hide differences from other people

I'm not sure what this means, but I do hide my ASD from other people. But there's not much to hide as I don't do many autistic behaviours anyway, but I usually pretend I'm not bothered by loud noises or I even pretend that I don't know much about autism if someone brings it up in a conversation.

I meant like hiding stims or behavior that people think is odd so people won't think you're autistic. I can relate to all of your responses for all 7 things.