protip: Colored lenses for social interaction

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

fie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Sep 2020, 10:36 am

"Coloured filters enhance the visual perception of social cues in children with autism spectrum disorders "
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22523702/

I've only recently figured out that I'm autistic and have identified most of my symptoms.

The only autistic visual problem I have is object recognition (Visual form-processing deficit). Don't have light sensitivity or motion/spacial problems etc.

Anyhow, my major problem is face to face interaction. Looking at people's faces while they talk and interpreting their expressions mostly. It's really hard for me to keep my eyes open when I'm talking about something complex or making sentences. People have always asked why I made weird faces when I talk and now I know.

BUT!! !!

I recently got yellow lens sun glasses from the dollar store and they make having a conversation a lot easier. I thought it might have just been "one of those things" for a while but then I just found a research paper about using colored filters for ASD kids having problems reading. I was like, ohhh.. huh.. maybe that's why the yellow sunglasses seem to help. Then I found that other paper that I posted at the top.

Hope that info helps someone, I know this isn't new knowledge and it's been talked about on here before but I feel like it's not common knowledge.