Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

beelove
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2020, 10:20 pm

I feel like most of my life I’ve been scrambling to find a healthy support system. Growing up with consistent trauma can inhibit the strength of discerning early in life. However, it’s now my responsibility to change my perspectives and push forward to love.
It just seems so futile, almost every time i reach, i get burned. I just want friends who attempt to understand me with unconditional love.
When do you tell someone you’re autistic? I’m terrible with timing of course. I really like this person, how do i not scare them off with the revealing of my unusual mind. I know I dont have to, but it’s so important to me, that the people who are close to me know that i struggle.
I just wanna scream, cry, and isolate when people leave. I know it’s not me, but it hurts when your small support supply turns to only the space around you. This all sounds grim, but i feel like a lot of people feel this way. I’m alone but not lonely for you and I always have the support of the divine mother and spirit all around. I see you. I hear you. I forgive you. I’m sorry. I love you. :heart:

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2020, 11:42 pm

beelove wrote:
I feel like most of my life I’ve been scrambling to find a healthy support system. Growing up with consistent trauma can inhibit the strength of discerning early in life. However, it’s now my responsibility to change my perspectives and push forward to love.
It just seems so futile, almost every time i reach, i get burned. I just want friends who attempt to understand me with unconditional love.
When do you tell someone you’re autistic? I’m terrible with timing of course. I really like this person, how do i not scare them off with the revealing of my unusual mind. I know I dont have to, but it’s so important to me, that the people who are close to me know that i struggle.
I just wanna scream, cry, and isolate when people leave. I know it’s not me, but it hurts when your small support supply turns to only the space around you. This all sounds grim, but i feel like a lot of people feel this way. I’m alone but not lonely for you and I always have the support of the divine mother and spirit all around. I see you. I hear you. I forgive you. I’m sorry. I love you. :heart:

I struggled with this a lot in my teens through early twenties. It sucks. People, particularly in that age range are often really flighty & selfish (obviously there are some really great, mature people too, but they can be hard to find). I tried to find other odd-balls and outcasts like myself, but everyone is so unique that it's hard to find the right friends you can count on.

I only told two people about my diagnosis (aside from my husband since it's how we met) and it was nerve-wracking. One was easier because I'd known him for a while and he'd previously wondered if he was on the spectrum. The other was my current best friend and that was harder so I beat around the bush for a while. But it definitely made it easier since I did it when we were more adult-ish. I think if you've had deep meaningful conversations with them before, where vulnerabilities were exposed, you will have a good sense for how this may go. If not, try having those talks about other areas first, and see how it goes.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2020, 12:51 am

You are very young and have plenty of time to establish a support group.
You could start here online also.
You can gain a greater understanding/insight from others here through what they have experienced.

Personally speaking, I think forums like this one are better, in many ways, than trying to communicate in real life. ;)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2020, 1:38 am

Constantly.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2020, 3:29 am

If you had functional parents who were not stressed out, you probably had some unconditional love. Nobody else has any particular reason to love you at all as an adult. If you think there should be more love around, start spreading it yourself, and be grateful for any that is returned.

Septify
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2020, 10:36 am

I have good parents. But sometimes when I`m telling them simple things, like "I don`t want to eat", they acting like ..... I don't know like... Like I`m telling them that I want to get anorexia and will never eat again...

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2020, 11:26 am

I grew up before "Aspergers" was a thing, so I didn't have any name for the problems with executive function, theory of mind, etc. that I was experiencing.

But I had a sense that something basic was wrong, and it became acute during periods when my peers were graduating from something and moving on to something else. I always had the muzzy and undefined sense that I wasn't ready for the challenges of the new phase of life.

When people were applying to colleges they had strong ideas about where they wanted to go and what they wanted to study; I hadn't a clue about either and just went along with the pack.

The sense of being left behind was worst for me after three years of college, when people were ready to graduate, start their new lives and families. I was clueless and terrified.

It was like normal people (NTs now) were reading from a script that I had never been given.

beelove
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2020, 12:34 pm

Dear_one wrote:
If you had functional parents who were not stressed out, you probably had some unconditional love. Nobody else has any particular reason to love you at all as an adult. If you think there should be more love around, start spreading it yourself, and be grateful for any that is returned.

This is very true. That’s all i want to do, is spread love. I’m working through traumas so that they aren’t yelling at everyone I want to share myself with. I’m young and learning the process of loving yourself and understand who you are in the first place. Thank you for reminding me that, I step up for me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2020, 12:44 pm

I felt behind when I was a teenager. When I turned 13 I still felt like a 10-year-old and would rather be climbing trees or playing with Lego than putting on makeup or straightening my hair.

I didn't have many friends when I was in my early teens and I was very clingy with my mum, and was like a demanding 5-year-old rather than a teenager.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2020, 5:59 pm

beelove wrote:
Tbh I tend to shout it from the roof tops. Like in sixth grade we were supposed to tell the class something about ourselves and I was like I'm autistic! I feel the same way. I feel like all the trauma robbed me of my childhood. I don't have problems putting myself out there but I just don't share things with people. It's really difficult for me to share anything that could potentially be harmful with anyone including my parents. Honestly, I scare a lot of people off on the internet. AFter realizing people rae gonna dislike me not matter what i do. I just figured might as well be who I am. but To be entirely honest. I never let anything stop me to the point where it's masochistic and self-destructive. Tbh i try to work past my trust issues ut i always just end up sliding deeper cause whenever i do try to tell people they just ignore me and act like i'm wrong. Oh the psych ward has a magical button that can fix all your problems :roll: Okay i might be exaggerating that a bit but. Think of it this way, If they won't accept you for who you are then they aren't the right person. [/color]

firebyrd516
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Aug 2020, 6:33 pm

You aren’t alone. I usually only have my personal space as a substitute for a support system. I am actually married but she has a career and my needs can become quite excessive for her. I have no other friends outside of her to speak of, so I can become overwhelming to her sometimes. I don’t use social media because I tend to over share, post inappropriate things, make inappropriate DMs, and it generally turns into me pretending to be NT (planning each post and comment as a NT would) and making it an unhealthy replacement for irl friendships. I just want to be loved and accepted for who I am, but it’s very difficult. I am also tired of feeling like I have to pretend to be “normal” most of the time, if that makes sense.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2020, 7:06 pm

beelove wrote:
Does anyone feel left behind?
Only since those 144,000 leaders of the Christian Church disappeared "in the twinkling of an eye"...

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MadiBrda_
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2020, 7:11 pm

I have no friends. I feel left out. I don’t have a boyfriend. I only have 1 girl friend. I’ve been feeling so lonely. I feel left behind. I’m sad most of the time because I feel like no one likes me for who I am. So feel free to PM me anytime please.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2020, 12:04 am

Septify wrote:
I have good parents. But sometimes when I`m telling them simple things, like "I don`t want to eat", they acting like ..... I don't know like... Like I`m telling them that I want to get anorexia and will never eat again...

I suggest you tell them you are 45 years old. ;)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2020, 12:10 am

Romofan wrote:
I grew up before "Aspergers" was a thing, so I didn't have any name for the problems with executive function, theory of mind, etc. that I was experiencing.

Same. He told me I was "mildly" autistic, since there was no "asperger" dx at the time.

Romofan wrote:
When people were applying to colleges they had strong ideas about where they wanted to go and what they wanted to study; I hadn't a clue about either and just went along with the pack.

Same. But with me I think it had more to do with "Ontological Insecurity".

Romofan wrote:
The sense of being left behind was worst for me after three years of college, when people were ready to graduate, start their new lives and families. I was clueless and terrified.

I am still clueless and I am over 60. ;)

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2020, 9:32 am

I don't. Maybe never.
Underneath the dysfunctions, I'm who isn't and never was left behind in any way or form comparing to anyone else.

Instead, I'm being too ahead and having different priorities early on.

This 'self' is basically betrayed and trapped in my own body.
I'd rather want to fix this body so my life would be easier, and also I can benefit more for others around me.

I'm supposed to be a 30s something in a younger body, not really 10s or so in an older body.
And I don't just mean intellectually, but everything else really.

Even so...
With time and experience, I'd still move on one way or another, regardless of my state.

That's all I'm counting on.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.