Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Alla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2009, 9:08 pm

Do aspies have a tendency to hide their whereabouts? If you want to be alone to recharge, do you hide the fact that you are, say, at home or somewhere else from co-workers, friends, etc.? When you were a teen, did you ever run away from home?

Apple_Scruff
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Dec 2009, 10:03 pm

If I don't want to talk to people (which happens a lot) I'll say I'm at work/going to work, when really I am just laying in bed playing music lol. Although now that Im home, I have to just drive around if I want to be alone and make up errands to run :oops: I don't know why I feel like I need to do this, but I do.
Is anyone else really secretive about what they do, too? Even if its not anything you should particularly hide? My sister and my dad are always peeking over my shoulder when Im on the computer and I get really defensive, especially if they make a comment about what Im doing. Also when people try to ask me what I'm reading or writing I get really annoyed and for some reason I can't just tell them and be conversational about it...Its a very real problem

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 10:05 pm

I dont hide but I dont tell.

Alla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2009, 10:25 pm

I take trips to foreign countries alone, just so I can get away from it all and explore on my own. I actually prefer solo travel (to safe countries) to traveling with other people....then I am on my own schedule and don't have to follow anyone else's.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 11:50 pm

When I was beginning undergrad university I would hide in my room a lot, and my parents were concerned that I was shutting them out. The truth is that keeping up with college was demanding and very stressful, and I needed time to recharge without having to pay attention to anybody. In general, I tend to conceal where I am unless there's a specific reason why someone needs to know.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 9:39 am

Never done it.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

b9
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 9:46 am

i live at the end of a dead end street. no cars ever (much) come as far as my driveway before they turn around and return to the mainstream.

Jak
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Dec 2009, 10:15 am

Yes all the time.

MountZion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Dec 2009, 12:06 pm

I do this often aswell. I sometimes get overwhelmed by things too and need time to recharge alone, so I do hide out and shut off from everything.

leschevalsroses
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2009, 12:16 pm

A few years ago in college I had a lot of friends who were very social and it was very overwhelming for me to try to fulfill my duties of being a friend and keeping up with them. I "went on vacation" for about two weeks just to avoid them. I didn't answer any phone calls and basically stayed in my apartment the whole time. I got totally busted and ran into one of them in the halls on my way to class. Boy was she mad.

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2009, 1:03 pm

Just bought a small house in the middle of nowhere (but not far from a highway), so yes. I like my peace and quiet.

INTJ.

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Dec 2009, 3:22 pm

Alla wrote:
I take trips to foreign countries alone, just so I can get away from it all and explore on my own. I actually prefer solo travel (to safe countries) to traveling with other people....then I am on my own schedule and don't have to follow anyone else's.

I do this too! I much prefer traveling on my own & setting my own schedule.

I can be very circumspect. I generally don't volunteer information about my personal life (although I would answer honestly, if anyone were to ever ask - but they would have to be specific in their questions.) I've lived in the same apartment for over 15 years & have never really met my neighbors (aside from passing them in the hall - but I wouldn't recognize them if we passed on the street.)

alana
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 6:22 pm

I don't have anyone to hide them from, really. I just lost a job because I was required to call in every morning to see if they needed me to work that day. I hate, loathe, and despise talking on the phone. Hate it. I don't mind work at all, as long as I had a schedule, I can just show up and work. But the phone thing drove me nuts, so I just wouldn't call. Lucky for me they moved me to another job where I just go in and work. For me 'hiding my whereabouts' means keeping my phone turned off. When people call, most of the time I don't call back. I feel bad about it.