Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 12:10 am

I'm with Ghosthunter in person right now, logged in to Wrongplanet through his Mac PowerBook G3. We're trying to set up chat. His browser is Internet Explorer for Mac.

What is a good IRC client for Mac OS 9.1?

I also just helped him set up a Yahoo account (ghosthunterharry) which he's still figuring out how to use, but here's the ID so people can message him.

dragon2fire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2005, 12:35 am

mirc

you could also try the defaulst engine that wp has on the site you just need to install java form sun microsystems.

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 12:39 am

Hi! This is ghosthunter! Boo!

We need a Mac 9.1 "non-shareware" version!
un-boo! Blah111111

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 12:45 am

When I was using a Mac, I came to the conclusion that pretty much all the IRC clients at the time more or less sucked. (1999-2001) . you'd probably be better off using the Java client .

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 12:54 am

(this is Pyraxis speaking)
When we try going into the chatroom through java, clicking on the wrongplanet link, it does not load properly... after you click the "Let's chat" button, the smileys appear, but the rest of the window is blank white. We're using Internet Explorer for Mac, and I checked and Java is enabled in the preferences.

Do you know any other possible browsers I could download and set up that would be able to handle the java?

dragon2fire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2005, 12:59 am

even if java is enabled if its not installed then java wont work ;) does any one know of a good mac client for java thats my question i am efforting on google right now ans will let ya know

dragon2fire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2005, 1:12 am

ok i think this is free it is beta so be warned but it may be good http://jircii.hick.org/jircii/

dragon2fire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2005, 1:40 am

ok i talked to a friend of mine at a different website and here is what he says is a good free chat client for the mac http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/xcha ... g?download

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 2:21 am

Ghosthunter wrote:
(this is Pyraxis speaking)Do you know any other possible browsers I could download and set up that would be able to handle the java?

mozilla firefox. sorry - haven't the link, but google it and it comes up straight away.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 3:45 am

Another browser is Mozilla but you have to dig thru their website for the version that suits OS 9.1.

I'm using Safari (OS X) and I've crashed a few times in chat, I don't think macs like it much. Maybe some of the other mac users will turn up with some ideas.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 5:02 am

Here's the link to the latest version of Mozilla that was compiled for MacOS 8.5 to 9.x.
http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.0.2.html

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 5:06 am

dragon2fire wrote:
ok i talked to a friend of mine at a different website and here is what he says is a good free chat client for the mac http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/xcha ... g?download

X-Chat is a U*ix base IRC client for U*ix style OS's (Like OS X) won't work with non U*ix based MacOS 9.x and earlier. ( I run it on my Linux drive)

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 10:11 am

i went into #wrongplanet in mirc and nobody was there, am i doing anything wrong?

alex
Developer
Developer

10 Jul 2005, 10:27 am

You're going to want to install Ircle.

Click here for tutorial

Click here to download

The other clients that people suggested will NOT, I repeat, NOT, work on Ghosthunter's computer.

I'm going to make a tutorial just for accessing WrongPlanet.net's chat since that tutorial was for a different chat channel. If you'd like to wait for that tutorial, please do so.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 10:32 am

Nomaken wrote:
i went into #wrongplanet in mirc and nobody was there, am i doing anything wrong?

It sounds like you did everything right and it's just that nobody else was using the chatroom at the same time as you.

alex
Developer
Developer

10 Jul 2005, 10:56 am

Nomaken wrote:

What time was it when you entered? Did you connect to irc.freenode.net?