Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

rumio
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jul 2005, 3:01 pm

I'm particularly thinking about memory - sometimes I can't recall something straightaway but I know I know it and I just need to give it time and it will come to me about an hour later when I'm doing something totally different.

on the other hand there are things that I know I knew once but I also know won't come to me and have gone forever

and I'm never wrong about either

how amazing is that?

Lucas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jul 2005, 3:06 pm

I think the brain is the most dangerous impediment to progress there is!

Terry Pratchet is right; the brain does not make things smart, it makes them stupid! It is not in fact used for the multiple processes scientists have led us to believe, it is in fact something like a 'shock-absorber' dulling the impact of the world around on the person. If it were not for the brain, everyone would be wandering around in amazment at everything and thinking how wonderful and miraculous everything really is. This would lead to an era of peace, understanding and invention which is currently not possible because the brain filters out the amazing stuff. Why else do you think they call it 'grey matter'? It makes the world boring.

We all know what to do; everyone's brains need blowing out! Go do it now to everyone in the world and then do it to yourselves!

I will not be a slave to my brain anymore! Revolution!

rumio
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jul 2005, 3:16 pm

thing is though it was your brain that figured out that theory

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 4:13 pm

Brains are, at the least, exceedingly strange.

Something that was brought home to me when I was trying to explain to someone recently why I can make the ASL sign for "water" before I consciously notice that I'm thirsty, but can't usually type "I'm thirsty" even after I notice. I don't even want to know how that one's routed in there.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 4:18 pm

That is so true.

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 5:02 pm

The brain is the most complicated thing in the universe... in a weird sort of way the brain IS the universe since the universe is meaningless without a brain to perceive it...

If the brain was simple enough for human beings to understand... we'd be too stupid to understand it...

No form of self-awareness is both complete and true...

Dissenter
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jul 2005, 5:05 pm

Hurray for quoting Terry Pratchett.

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 6:24 pm

I love Pterry...

He's such a good writer...

nirrti_1
Raven
Raven

10 Jul 2005, 7:28 pm

The brain actually does "remember" everything. However, it's a matter of whether something can be "recalled" that determines if you have access to a memory. This keeps us from remembering every single detail to the point we only see details and not their context.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 8:46 pm

The reason for that is, You think of something, can't recall it, and then it goes through your subconcious like an encycolpedia. It will turf out the information when it finds it.

The brain is absolutley amazing. It's hard to comprehend a bunch of cells called nerve cells control your thoughts, take in information allow you to operate.

Lucas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2005, 6:11 am

Haven't you been listening?!? The brain doesn't do any of that, if anything it slows it all down! The whole world would be better off without brains!

I've heard rumours that there is almost one brain for every animal on the planet, already they outnumber us! We must act now!

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2005, 8:35 am

/me pokes a brain.

Dunc: OWWWW!
Me: You wern't using it anyway.

Note: Tehcnically a brain cannot feel pain. It has no nerves to do so.