Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2005, 4:38 pm

I am currently starting from scratch :S after my beloved 2001 Quantam Fireball plus 40 meg'r kicked the canister.

I'm back up on a really quiet Seagate Barracuda 80, running on bare bones right now. First site into my favorites....this one. I love you people that much!!

I lost 27 gigs of 100% pure MP3's, alot of personal write ups, some personal art work and wep backgrounds and numerous pictures. However, I have alot of pics uploaded to my MSN spaces and webpage so it's not all bad! Mp3's were gathered from Morpheus and Limewire so it was a pain to get good ones. Now it's easier to replace them. Plus i'ma gonna try and see if I can scrape the stuff off the ole Quantam. The disc is spinning fine, something else is whacked in it.
Oh well...it's good to be back

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2005, 4:44 pm

Absolute_Zero wrote:
Plus i'ma gonna try and see if I can scrape the stuff off the ole Quantam. The disc is spinning fine, something else is whacked in it.
Oh well...it's good to be back

If you're lucky, the issue may be a bad boot sector on the disc, and you'll be able to get all of your stuff back simply by switching the jumper on the drive, and slaving it to the drive you have now. If this works, you can delete the OS from it, and use the drive as storage. Good luck with it.

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2005, 5:48 pm

Thats what I was thinking and it's at least worth a try. Alot of my friends think that it's wierd that the drive is still spinning perfectly.

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2005, 5:59 pm

I had my hard drive die just three days ago - what happened was that a couple of the system files got corrupted when their sectors died, so it wouldn't boot anymore. But most of the data is fine and I'm in the process of copying it onto a new drive. It's normal for a hard drive to die a bit at a time. Did yours make a loud clicking noise periodically right before it went down? If I understand it right, each click is another small bit dying.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2005, 7:32 pm

I had to replace a 30 gig IBM hard drive last fall in my parents computer. When it was cold it would make odd noises, those noises grew to the point where you could tell the acuator was loosing it's ability to control the positon of the heads on the disc. When it would loose control, you could hear the heads ricocheting against the stops inside the drive.

When this happened, the system would lock up, and I'd have to reboot. i had to replace it and I managed to get everything off of it with out much trouble.