Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

human_calculator
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Aug 2007, 4:14 pm

does anyone else have times when everything around is kind of not real-like its all vague and you're completely split away from everything?
Sometimes its really bad -like my mind is the only thing that exists.But its always there a little bit.Like, if I was stood the length of a car away from somebody, they would seem unreal but if I'm stood next to them then they are real.Or if I'm stood outside after a small distance it appears like a screen.The only way I am completely reassured that something is real is if I touch it or lean against it.

giaam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2007, 4:42 pm

Yeah I get similar, like 'de ja vue' when everything around does not seem real, that I am looking at the world through someones else's eyes 8O

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2007, 5:01 pm

Don't even mention that feeling... Scares the s*** out of me.

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2007, 5:25 pm

who can blame anyone for feeling that way? most people out there display simpler behaviour than a well-scripted NPC, so its only natural to feel that they arent real. the feeling of talking to someone that makes you just naturally, by the way they behave, how they speak etc... believe that they are a similar complex kind of being oneself is. i have exactly one friend like that... and whenever i feel like breaking down because of being lonely, all alone in a world full of not-real, i try to meet up with her. feeling not alone is ... wonderful. there isnt necessarily the need to talk or interact anyhow - its just sitting in the same room and not feeling alone.

Taken

04 Aug 2007, 8:49 pm

It is like a mild for of disassociation. I get it alot. It is also a symtom of panic attacks for people with panic disorder the difference being if it causes you enough fear to set of anxiety. Its like you are disconnected from your own body just looking out through it's eyes and you have no way to reconect. I touch things alot, also clear my throat alot when it happens or find myself saying mmmm to feel my connection to my self. Sensory input is what this is and it helps to find more input. I prefer to touch hard cold surfaces. Walking barefoot in the grass helps...going outside if it is cold helps ground me as well. For those of you who are spiritually minded Edgar Casey described autistic like symptoms such as these as being a condition caused by the energy or spirit of an individual being ahead of the physical body...out of sync in other words.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

04 Aug 2007, 8:56 pm

Yeah, it's called autism. :lol:

It's like you're in a dream but you can't wake up as you're already awake.. kinda.

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2007, 9:26 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:

I was going to say that is what it is, but the machine beat me to it : )

I had a counselor once that suggested ways of grounding yourself (stopping the depersonalization):

Getting in touch with ALL your senses will ground you... smell a candle or incense, touch something (ie: carry a worry stone in your pocket and rub it when you feel out of sorts), look at something pleasing, listen to the sounds around you, and take a drink of something.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

04 Aug 2007, 9:36 pm

its a terrible feeeling thats for shure. being in a place that you know youve been to before even though you havent is also alarming :D

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2007, 10:09 pm

LadyMacbeth wrote:
Yeah, it's called autism. :lol:

It's like you're in a dream but you can't wake up as you're already awake.. kinda.

Maybe, but you don't ALWAYS feel that way, do you?

Having said that, I SOMETIMES feel this way and, YEP, I've had the dejavu also.

TurtleJen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2007, 4:51 am

Just once in my life, stuff looked real. I was in my room when that happened. I was listening to "The prayer of Jabez for Teens" on audio disc.

My mind never has time to comprehend things that are going on. :?

Star
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Aug 2007, 5:48 am

It is called REM state of sleep. The Aspie/Autie brain is in a state of REM sleep since the moment it was born. That is why we also have sleep problems and need less sleep. Our brains are 'awake' but in a perpetual REM state of sleep.

How I know? Read my book when it comes out.

Star

Kelsi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Aug 2007, 6:10 am

This is from an article I downloaded ages ago (I didn't note the source):

"Beta waves range between 13 - 40 HZ. The beta state is associated with peak concentration, heightened alertness and visual acuity. Nobel Prize Winner, Sir Francis Crick and other scientists believe that the 40HZ beta frequency may be key to the act of cognition.

Alpha waves range between 7 - 12 HZ. This is a place of deep relaxation, but not quite meditation. In Alpha, we begin to access the wealth of creativity that lies just below our conscious awareness. It is the gateway, the entry point that leads into deeper states of consciousness. Alpha is also the home of the window frequency known as the Schuman Resonance, which is the resonant frequency of the earth's electromagnetic field.

Theta waves range between 4 - 7 HZ. Theta is one of the more elusive and extraordinary realms we can explore. It is also known as the twilight state which we normally only experience fleetingly as we rise up out of the depths of delta upon waking, or drifting off to sleep. In theta we are in a waking dream, vivid imagery flashes before the mind's eye and we are receptive to information beyond our normal conscious awareness. Theta has also been identified as the gateway to learning and memory. Theta meditation increases creativity, enhances learning, reduces stress and awakens intuition and other extrasensory perception skills.

Delta waves range between 0 - 4 HZ. Delta is associated with deep sleep. In addition, certain frequencies in the delta range trigger the release of Growth Hormone beneficial for healing and regeneration. This is why sleep, deep restorative sleep is so essential to the healing process."

I know I spent a lot of time in the theta state while awake, as a child. Nowadays, less so, but I enjoy it so much that I sometimes put myself in it deliberately. This is the state that Shamans enter. I suspect it is natural to autistics.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2007, 9:38 am

Star wrote:
It is called REM state of sleep. The Aspie/Autie brain is in a state of REM sleep since the moment it was born. That is why we also have sleep problems and need less sleep. Our brains are 'awake' but in a perpetual REM state of sleep.

How I know? Read my book when it comes out.

Star

Well, REM DOES have "Rapid Eye Movement". ALSO, I don't know about you guys, but I had VERY vivid dreams when I was younger. Then again, I had the wierdest dream this morning. I saw the wierdest little gadget! I actually considered PATENTING it! I still may! It would take approval by 2 different goverment agencies, and trying to get the bugs worked out might take a while, but WOW! I would tell you the details, but THAT is the patentable stuff. It is far from obvious. Ironically, I didn't really think about how unusual it was until after I woke up.

Sometimes I wake up and actually wonder which is real.

As for needing less sleep. I used to need less sleep. When I took a lot of acetyl l carnitine, I certainly needed less sleep. Then again, I guess it depends what you mean by less sleep. I typically get about 6 hours. when you say less, I take that to mean the like 3-4 I used to get.

As for the theta theory, that may be what happens with that kind of vacant stare. You ARE conscious, but it can be kind of dream like.

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2007, 11:42 am

I Kinda like the whole constant state of not feeling real and/or the world not feeling real.

Okat I did have a existential crisis when I was 15 because of it, but now I've sort of adapted. Though whether or not it's a healthy adaption is up for debate, but the way I see it, if my my thoughts and feelings on the subject are not hurting anyone I don't see why I shouldn't believe them.

As far as I'm concerned the world isn't real, it's like the aboriginies believe, it's a dream. And when we're dreaming we accept the rules as part of the dream, When we begin to question the rules thats the begining of coming out of the dream. In my mind it explain so much of the weird and idiotic behavior of nearly everyone else. And pain or fear I feel...well who hasn't dreamt and felt fear, or even been convinced there in pain.

It doesn't mean I'm going to do anything to test the theory, because to be quite framk, since I'm aslepp I only know the rules of this dream world, and how dremas work medically here, I don't know what the medical rules are back in the real world, medically wise, and I don't want to make it so I'm permentally here, or dead/hurt in that world.

Anyway it doesn't have to be a dream, I could be in a coma, or a VR sim, or having a mental delusion and I'm actually in an aslym. or I might not even exist, I could be someone else delusion, (which in which case, they have real issues, and I hope I never meet them, because delusion or not, I'll thump them!). But still I adhere to the rules I mentioned above.

The only time It really unnerves me is when I have Deja Vu after the fact, and it feels like theres a lose connection somewhere in my brain relating to memory.

Or when I look down at my arm and logically I know it's mine but I feel no connect to it. I remember when I was in my early teens, I felt abit like I robot that was inside my head but had connected my system to the brain so I could experience everything the person's who's brain I was in.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2007, 1:21 pm

BastetsEye wrote:
I Kinda like the whole constant state of not feeling real and/or the world not feeling real.

Okat I did have a existential crisis when I was 15 because of it, but now I've sort of adapted. Though whether or not it's a healthy adaption is up for debate, but the way I see it, if my my thoughts and feelings on the subject are not hurting anyone I don't see why I shouldn't believe them.

As far as I'm concerned the world isn't real, it's like the aboriginies believe, it's a dream. And when we're dreaming we accept the rules as part of the dream, When we begin to question the rules thats the begining of coming out of the dream. In my mind it explain so much of the weird and idiotic behavior of nearly everyone else. And pain or fear I feel...well who hasn't dreamt and felt fear, or even been convinced there in pain.

It doesn't mean I'm going to do anything to test the theory, because to be quite framk, since I'm aslepp I only know the rules of this dream world, and how dremas work medically here, I don't know what the medical rules are back in the real world, medically wise, and I don't want to make it so I'm permentally here, or dead/hurt in that world.

Anyway it doesn't have to be a dream, I could be in a coma, or a VR sim, or having a mental delusion and I'm actually in an aslym. or I might not even exist, I could be someone else delusion, (which in which case, they have real issues, and I hope I never meet them, because delusion or not, I'll thump them!). But still I adhere to the rules I mentioned above.

The only time It really unnerves me is when I have Deja Vu after the fact, and it feels like theres a lose connection somewhere in my brain relating to memory.

Or when I look down at my arm and logically I know it's mine but I feel no connect to it. I remember when I was in my early teens, I felt abit like I robot that was inside my head but had connected my system to the brain so I could experience everything the person's who's brain I was in.

So you ALWAYS feel like this?

I DID kind of feel wierd around 8 or so, almost like I just appeared here. I still had my old memories, but I just felt totally out of place. I was also different. Perhaps not in a way anyone else could discern, but I was.

At various points my dreams seemed more real than this reality, and some aspects of this reality DO seem illogical, but I always end up coming back here. 8(

I do often feel disconnected from my body, etc..., like a robot. Even with my perception. I remember how so much was almost a part of me, and the lack of any describable experience was understandable and expected. Today, I am left wanting something more tangible. On my memory, for example, much is by feeling. I like that because it IS faster, etc. Seeing would be more tangible and comforting though.