Autistic writing skills and quality of communications on WP.

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 11:53 pm

High-functioning autistics are well known for writing skills. I've noticed virtually everyone on this site, regardless of national origin or primary language, writes very well. Being honest, I read some of the best written communications on this site - better than most commercial news sites. Even when someone lividely ridicules me or my opinions, I generally appreciate the technical quality of their writing. Does anyone else make the same observation?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 12:02 am

I'm not sure. I am on another forum where people generally write well too, and it is unrelated to autism. People on both these forums I'm on seem to write bester than on people writing news articles on internetz.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 12:34 am

SoftwareEngineer wrote:
High-functioning autistics are well known for writing skills. I've noticed virtually everyone on this site, regardless of national origin or primary language, writes very well. Being honest, I read some of the best written communications on this site - better than most commercial news sites. Even when someone lividely ridicules me or my opinions, I generally appreciate the technical quality of their writing. Does anyone else make the same observation?

uR oimpion suxxorz !
Yur Rong! us donn no notin bowt ritin

butt tkanhs four the complikate,,

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 12:54 am

I have a comma problem. I used to never have one, going to have to take a refresher course.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 1:07 am

Throughout my school years, my teachers often complimented my writing, and I took pride in it as a result. Looking back however, I am actually rather surprised that my writing was complimented so much, as I tend to have a stiff, overly-formal style. I guess formality is what they were trying to teach in the first place, and with my use of spelling and punctuation, I excelled at it. Since I've left school, and spent more and more time online, I've noticed that my writing has devolved somewhat, and it tends to either be extremely rigid and almost scripted, or absolutely informal and "stream of consciousness"-like.

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 May 2014, 1:29 am

wozeree wrote:
I have a comma problem. I used to never have one, going to have to take a refresher course.

You should, in fact, at least, consider, taking a refresher course, if not, in fact, at least, google it.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 1:59 am

wozeree wrote:

I think a lot of us here don't know how to use punctuation properly. Over 99% of all post here on WP have some sort of improperly use punctuation. If you think about it, punctuation is very flexible and forgiving and if you ask me. I rather see it improperly use then to not see it used at all. So keep on using it even if you don't know how to use it properly.

iammaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 May 2014, 3:42 am

LupaLuna wrote:
... If you think about it, punctuation is very flexible and forgiving and if you ask me. I rather see it improperly use then to not see it used at all...

Unless you write code. Then you add or forget one little semi-colon and the whole lot gets bent out of shape.
;)

AdmiralWitchcraft
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 May 2014, 6:10 am

I often mention to my husband that this is one of my preferred sites to read. Mainly due to the fact that folks tend to write really well here. My husband writes beautifully and it's always a pleasure for me to read the things he's written. He's got Asperger's and I'm just really fussy about what I read.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 6:26 am

I think there are lower functioning autistics who can write pretty well to...for some its their main means of communication so probably gives them more time to learn good writing skills.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 14 May 2014, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nadakan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 May 2014, 6:26 am

Interestingly, it depends on my mood as to whether my grammar is good or not.

Right now, I'm quite alert. But sometimes when I'm tired or cannot really be bothered to do much, I'll write in lower case and not really care that I'm making a loan of mistakes.

At these moments like now, I enjoy writing well. And about the commas, yes sometimes I end up putting too many commas in! Ha. Or I am totally unsure of where a comma should go and whether or not it should be there..especially with 'and' in the middle of a sentence, like just there. Do I put 'should go, and' or 'should go and'!

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 May 2014, 6:36 am

wozeree wrote:

I'm OK with commas, but I struggle with apostrophes. I used to know the rules like the back of my hand, but my brain seems to have mislaid them.

There was a serious suggestion recently that because so many people have no idea at all about apostrophes, they should be be done away with altogether.

In the previous sentence to this one, I decided against putting a comma before the word 'because' because I thought it would add nothing to the meaning of the sentence.

(wozeree - you also need to brush up on split infinitives.... only joking!....)

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 6:46 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I think there are lower functioning autistics who can write pretty well to...for some its their main means of communication so probably gives them more time to learn good writing skills.

yes that explains mine well, am good at non complex spelling though dont have good writing skills.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 7:44 am

I've noticed this too. I see some people's writing on Facebook that makes me cringe.

I've been told several times that I write very well, which always catches me by surprise. I think the fact that I look up grammatical rules when I'm not sure about something helps. Sometimes I get completely side tracked reading about proper grammar. :oops: I've start blogging on Tumblr, so I'm getting a lot more practice at writing and putting my thoughts into words.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 7:47 am

SoftwareEngineer wrote:

to be honest I agree. People in the internet use all kinds of slangs and abbreviations and internet jokes that I have trouble to understand. even in my own language :lol: one of the reasons I liked it in here.
and one thing I notice is that even those that don't write or communicate eloquently are very good at argumentation building and finding argument flaws. This is awesome. Or maybe it is easier to follow because we have similar thinking style.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 8:27 am

It varies.

I know with myself, it depends on how much a rush I'm in. If it's a fast post, I will not check for mistakes. When not in a hurry, I take the time to double check and clarify my thoughts.

My Blog
Deviantart Page