Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hakemon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Aug 2007, 1:56 am

I had a very cool project I wanted to do, but everyone keeps telling me im wasting my time and money on it.

I want to build a 1960's color RCA TV replica, with authentic picture and color. I already planned out the circuit board, and have already got the parts (capacitors, resistors, vacuum tubes, flyback transformer, picture tube, etc), and whenever I talk about it, i'm told that I could be doing better things with my time.

Thing is, I REALLY want to do this, to me, it would be fun, and I'd get the excitement level of how dangerous it is too! (i like living on the edge a little, especially with 80 thousands volts going through this things picture tube)..

What can I tell these people? I tell them why I want to do it, but they just insist on bothering me about it..
also, AM I wasting my time? or would this be good experience?

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 2:17 am

Sounds interesting :)

My mom always told me I spend my time and money in "samurai crap", but I never give up, and I continue with my samurai obsession :D

If you are 18 or older, I think you should do what you want. You know the risks of that project, but if you are self-confident and are you sure you have everything planned and ready, I think you'll be ok.

Be careful! :wink:

hakemon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Aug 2007, 2:24 am

yea, im 20..

The thing is, some of my friends are afraid, because I'm planning to build this TV, without any tools like an electronics book or anything like that.

I want to prove that aspergers isn't a limitation to me, and is an advantage to me, and literally USE my aspergers to build this TV, using how I see the TV "should" be wired, soldered, and connected internally, without the asistance of a book someone else wrote, and their opinion of televisions... and for my friends, they are afraid I'm going to make a lethal mistake, like shorting out the high voltage to ground, and when I turn the TV on, get killed immediately just by touching the metal power switch. I personally know I would never make that mistake, because I would use tools like a multimeter, and continuity testing..

Oh yea, and I have to use wood working tools too, which too me, will be hard, and may need help from my father (whom told me he will only help me with the tools, because he knows I know what im doing electronic wise)..

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 2:33 am

Do you have some basic knowledge about electronics? Are you studying electronic engineering or something like that?

hakemon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Aug 2007, 2:44 am

SamuraiSaxen wrote:
Do you have some basic knowledge about electronics? Are you studying electronic engineering or something like that?

Never took an electronics course, but electronics just naturally came to me. When I was younger, so much younger than today (sorry, lol, had to do that beatles quote), I took apart two walkie talkies, and a calculator, rewired them, and made a working FM radio out of it, stereo too.. Since then, I just have been doing all sorts of electronics work, while still never touching an electronics book. I find them opinionated, and are never willing to try something new, like a method of wiring things up.

This is what the TV should look like when finished (a mockup): http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/TV-3.gif

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

28 Aug 2007, 3:23 am

I say, if you want to do it then go ahead. :) If its something that brings you enjoyment then go ahead and do it :)

It does sound a little dangerous, using no tools and not reading an electronics book. But who am I to say that your wasting your time? No-one.

edal
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 3:28 am

Go for it, have fun. This will be a great way to learn about practical electronics but please, read the safety information below.
***********************************************************************************************************************
SAFETY

If the TV uses an 80Kv EHT then you need to be very careful as these voltages can kill you.

1) Never work on high voltage equipment alone

2) Remove your watch and any jewelry you may be wearing

3) If working on a live TV set put your left hand in your pocket and only work with your right hand. This stops the possibility of an electric shock travelling from one arm to the other across your chest (and your heart).

4) Never skimp on materials and examine all EHT components for physical damage before you install them

5) If in doubt, ask a professional TV engineer
***********************************************************************************************************************

Ed Almos

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

28 Aug 2007, 3:28 am

Go for it. Don't worry about what others say.

But ............. make sure you read up enough to ensure you are safe.

Have fun.

Helen

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 6:01 am

If you are doing it for the DANGER, FORGET IT! It isn't that dangerous anyway.

ALSO, realize that it uses techology not often used today. It brings back memories. I remember when all the grocery stores had a tube kiosk(so to speak) in front, and it had a tube tester. The reasonably bright people with a bad TV set could pull suspect tubes, take them to the GROCERY store, check them, and possibly buy new ones! It was about as easy as changing a lightbulb. :lol:

I guess you can't do that sort of thing now. TODAY, even the "EXPERTS" just replace entire boards.

Anyway, do what you want. Don't listen to what others say. It DOES use more power, is hotter, will be bigger, and more expensive.

hakemon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Aug 2007, 6:10 am

oh yea, i know it will be hot, big, and power hungry :p sorts reminds me of Home Improvement, lol...

im going to soon be trying the electronics to make sure it works, and putting them together outside before i start building the cabinet. (it would suck to do all that work and then find out i have an electronic problem)..

only thing I'm not liking about the project, is the original NTSC specification, and the way color yellow should be produced. It's......different than today, so vastly, i don't know if it will work..

parts
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 6:30 am

I like playing with old tube type equipment and have several TVs. It wouldn't hurt or be cheating to find some old repair manuals to help with the safety issue and troubleshooting and problems you may have. Here's one I got for five dollars at an estate sale a couple months ago

hakemon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Aug 2007, 6:37 am

oh wow! that's a nice looking TV, the speaker grille will need to be repaired though, otherwise it looks great condition...

I'm right now starting to built the electronics on my bench, and hope that the vacuum tubes I got work...

I'm using 2 compactron tubes, so these little "miracles" better work, lol.. I expect to have the thing done in a little bit later today, and be watching a movie on it..

here goes nothing! :p no books, no nothing, just me, my brain, and my soldering iron..

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 6:48 am

hakemon wrote:
oh wow! that's a nice looking TV, the speaker grille will need to be repaired though, otherwise it looks great condition...

I'm right now starting to built the electronics on my bench, and hope that the vacuum tubes I got work...

I'm using 2 compactron tubes, so these little "miracles" better work, lol.. I expect to have the thing done in a little bit later today, and be watching a movie on it..

here goes nothing! :p no books, no nothing, just me, my brain, and my soldering iron..

Do you AT LEAST have schematics? Older TV sets are point to point on chassis, so schematics can certainly help.

hakemon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Aug 2007, 7:38 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
hakemon wrote:

Do you AT LEAST have schematics? Older TV sets are point to point on chassis, so schematics can certainly help.

no schematics.. i know they are point to point, it makes building and testing easier to me..

what i do have however, is research on how television works, and how color TV's work especially.. but im going to make my own brand of TV.

hakemon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Aug 2007, 8:54 am

Got some of the wiring done, not all, but enough to try and test it, and blew out a TH571... Man, when a vacuum tube blows, you can easily remember that smell.

I'm thinking this thread should be moved to the random board, it may have "changed" the purpose now...

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 10:26 am

I will feel like that a lot until I get a job.