Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2024, 9:18 pm

Hi All, I'm sure at one point maybe this question has been asked but would you see any advantages to be formally diagnosed with Autism in your late 30's? I am currently undiagnosed but was diagnosed by a Psychiatrist but no formal psychological testing has ever been done so it's not really a "formal" diagnosis. I have been debating whether I should make the investment in getting a formal diagnosis. I know psychological testing can be expensive. I think the biggest advantage I could see is future access to certain services (like housing, help in executive functioning, etc) that I couldn't access now or necessairly on the private sector side. I am mainly thinking of my living situation and being more independent in that area.

I have alot of trouble with executive functioning. I function fairly well in a job situation once I am in it but with living independently on my own there's a lot of work that I might need some assistance with. A part of me also though dosen't want to rely on my state for services. I live in Pennsylvania and my experiences with my state so far for services have been horrendous. I have tried to apply for medical services (insurance) in my state while unemployed and it is just been a awful experience. Luckily I have a sizable amount that I had saved in reserve so I am not in desperate need of insurance at the moment. Others in different states I know may have different experiences but this has just been mine so far. I think I am going to hold off on making any decision at the moment until my job situation stabilizes. I wish I was diagnosed in the past but no use worrying about what you can't change. I appreciate any views you all have :)

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

King Kat 1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2024, 12:55 am

I've not yet sought out a diagnosis myself but anyone who know me well, if they know anything about Autism know I likely have it, I sorta tell on myself in that aspect.

I grew up in the late 1980s/1990s and I was diagnosed with ADD at 5 but I feel that was wrong. No one knew what autism was back then, so until my late 20s I was clueless on why I was so damn weird. Yeah, if I had been diagnosed as a kid I do wonder if my life would be better or about the same. I could have gotten behavior help, which would have saved me a lot of grief and maybe bullying. I'm 44 now so the point is moot now.

As far as benefits go, I've never considered trying to apply for anything so I can't say.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2024, 1:06 am

King Kat 1 wrote:
I've not yet sought out a diagnosis myself but anyone who know me well, if they know anything about Autism know I likely have it, I sorta tell on myself in that aspect.

I grew up in the late 1980s/1990s and I was diagnosed with ADD at 5 but I feel that was wrong. No one knew what autism was back then, so until my late 20s I was clueless on why I was so damn weird. Yeah, if I had been diagnosed as a kid I do wonder if my life would be better or about the same. I could have gotten behavior help, which would have saved me a lot of grief and maybe bullying. I'm 44 now so the point is moot now.

As far as benefits go, I've never considered trying to apply for anything so I can't say.

Thank you for sharing your views King Kat! You and me sound very similar with our stories. I was diagnosed with OCD and Anxiety Disorder at 13 but that was as far as it went. I had some behavioral problems when I was young. I would argue with my parents and go back and forth constantly almost like a loop. I think that's when they suspected something wasn't quite right and sent me to a Psychiatrist. I think at this late stage I'm leaning like you are in that it's a moot point. I have some areas that I need help with but I just need to take time to do the work I need to do. I kind of sometimes wish I went into the military like my dad did and best friend did. My dad joined the Airforce when he was 17 and was in for three years before meeting my mom. I think it probably would have did me a world of good. I sometimes even think about it. My best friend went into the Marines shortly out of high school and got to the last step in training down in Camp Lejeune before being sent home due to a illness he got. I appreciate hearing your viewpoint as we are relatively close in age!

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

King Kat 1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2024, 1:08 am

Happy I could help

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2024, 7:43 am

Formal diagnosis process gave me feedback about my best strengths, the way my own mind worked for and against me ( my neurological struggles) and helped me figure out what accommodations I could use to make every day life easier.
Make sure you get details of any evaluation in writing and ask as many questions as you can. Getting formal diagnosis is sometimes very difficult but for me the test results were great reference points for self understanding.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2024, 8:24 am

autisticelders wrote:
Formal diagnosis process gave me feedback about my best strengths, the way my own mind worked for and against me ( my neurological struggles) and helped me figure out what accommodations I could use to make every day life easier.
Make sure you get details of any evaluation in writing and ask as many questions as you can. Getting formal diagnosis is sometimes very difficult but for me the test results were great reference points for self understanding.

Thank you! You make a great point that it can be great reference points for self underrstanding! I appreciate you sharing that!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2024, 11:18 am

In Connecticut mental health services stop when you turn 18. I asked a lady about this on disability.

Yes, it can be helpful to have someone outline your issues if you can't figure them out yourself.

But, I think most managers don't want to know. If you need something special to do your work it may be best to just ask and not go into detail why. Most of us go into too many details.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2024, 1:26 pm

BTDT wrote:
In Connecticut mental health services stop when you turn 18. I asked a lady about this on disability.

Yes, it can be helpful to have someone outline your issues if you can't figure them out yourself.

But, I think most managers don't want to know. If you need something special to do your work it may be best to just ask and not go into detail why. Most of us go into too many details.

Thank you for sharing! I agree. Pennsylvania is just unfortunately terrible when it comes to any government service. I am pretty much going to not worry about getting medicaid insurance until I absolutely need it due to the frustration of having to deal with the state. I may go in person to try to get some things resolved but I am kind of worried about blowing up at someone due to my frustration with how they handle things and don't want to do that :lol: I'm generally a calm and kind person too but they have just got on my nerves badly. I am hoping I can land in a new job in the next couple of weeks so it won't matter and will get new insurance. My last employer I worked with knew about my autism and had FMLA if I needed to take certain days off because of my condition. They were very understanding which was wonderful.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2024, 7:24 pm

Some people need a professional to validate their suspicions.

Even if you are doing ok now someday you may need benefits or accommodations that are only available with a formal diagnosis. Better to do it now then later when your are desperate and have less money.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2024, 5:37 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Some people need a professional to validate their suspicions.

Even if you are doing ok now someday you may need benefits or accommodations that are only available with a formal diagnosis. Better to do it now then later when your are desperate and have less money.

I can definitely agree with that and thank you for sharing :) Right now one of my biggest hurdles to being diagnosed unfortunately is finances. I don't have insurance at the moment due to losing a job about a month ago and have been trying to get medical assistance from the state where I live (PA) and it's been a godawful nightmare. I don't know if I will be able to have the patience to deal with the state again. My parents have offered to help me get diagnosed as things have just been getting worse for me unfortunately. I have wonderful parents more than what I honestly deserve. They have been through alot over the years with me. My parents and me have been discussing maybe living in a type of group home environment. I have been getting interviews for jobs but I am not living on my own and struggle with living independently and have been struggling with mental health. I am ready though for a change as I have hit a ceiling with where I am mentally, emotionally and spirtually. The loss of my Pastor in April affected me a lot as well.

My faith is the only thing keeping me going and I'm trying not to lose hope but some days it's harder than others. If I could get my mental health under control that would be 60% of the battle. I have Major Depressive Disorder, Anxiety and OCD (of course sometimes I wonder if the OCD is my autism) Could be either or both.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2024, 11:33 pm

I got the educational supports that I needed all through school. I qualify for subsidized housing. I also get a monthly disability cheque deposited into my bank account I also qualify for a $100 monthly volunteer pension and a special bus service called Handydart.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2024, 12:36 am

In my country?

Other than validations and explanations, an autism diagnosis is qualified for disability benefits.

Namely some discounts when buying basic necessities, medicines, in certain food or products in mall establishments, special lanes in infrastructures and offices...

A slot to get by with benefits and freebies from the government. Sometimes scholarships for vocational courses.

However, it is not largely implemented. It's either underimplented or that the local officials do not know it exists.
Information dessimination isn't good so far.

It is only available in major urbanized cities, or if the city is lucky enough to have a decent leader/politicians whose priority is aiding PWDs in local government units who actually knows what they're doing and has the means to do so... :?

Otherwise; most of the specific support and accommodation benefits are still focused around children.

And the 'adult' related benefits are no different than any PWD benefits, if not overall poverty aides.
There is no autism specific accomodations here. Not yet.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2024, 1:10 am

Edna3362 wrote:
In my country?

Other than validations and explanations, an autism diagnosis is qualified for disability benefits.

Namely some discounts when buying basic necessities, medicines, in certain food or products in mall establishments, special lanes in infrastructures and offices...

A slot to get by with benefits and freebies from the government. Sometimes scholarships for vocational courses.

However, it is not largely implemented. It's either underimplented or that the local officials do not know it exists.
Information dessimination isn't good so far.

It is only available in major urbanized cities, or if the city is lucky enough to have a decent leader/politicians whose priority is aiding PWDs in local government units who actually knows what they're doing and has the means to do so... :?

Otherwise; most of the specific support and accommodation benefits are still focused around children.

And the 'adult' related benefits are no different than any PWD benefits, if not overall poverty aides.
There is no autism specific accomodations here. Not yet.

Ah ok, Thank you for sharing! In the state of Pennsylvania where I live in the United States I think there are some services for adults but a diagnosis is needed. There are so many who need the services though and the children are probably prioritized first. I have to get officially diagnosed which will be expensive unfortunately. I currently don't have medical insurance and the state has been very difficult to work with in terms of getting answers back to questions or getting responses. I am hoping I can find a job within the next two weeks and won't even have to worry about getting help from the state. Thank you for sharing your experience in your country Edna :)

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2024, 7:41 am

Social Security Disability benefits as an adult are substantial if you have worked forty quarters (basically ten years).