Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2024, 9:49 pm

Bored of myself, everyone else, and everything else.

Work has been cutting my hours the past couple of months.

Been applying for jobs lately: McDonald's, gardening, janitor, cashier, warehouse. No answer.

Due to dyssergenic defecation, have to be close to litterbox @ all times.

No car, spouse, "friends", or children, or $$$.

My sister told me she is not going to pay for Internet anymore. It cost $60 for Internet for the computer a month.

Now I have to pay $10month and the computer won't be able to access Internet. Phone only.

Need new hobbies to do @ home alone. Cheap, w/out Internet. and et cetera.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2024, 11:05 pm

Do you like making art or crafts? I like paper mache, which is cheap because you can get newspaper for free. (I use supermarket circulars now that people don't read newspapers much anymore.) You just have to buy the paper mache glue, which I get from an art supply store. You can use cardboard boxes as your base, which are also free.

Baking is relatively inexpensive. And then you get to eat what you made.

Also, broadcast TV is not bad. I guess it depends on where you live but if you live in a city you should get a decent number of channels. That too is free except for the TV itself.

Puzzle books like Sudoku are inexpensive.

Library books are free.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2024, 2:29 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
My sister told me she is not going to pay for Internet anymore. It cost $60 for Internet for the computer a month.

Really? That's very expensive internet. I don't pay quite that much and I have 200GB fibre with unlimited data transfer and what I pay would be considered expensive to most people.

Do you not have options? Can't you switch to a cheaper supplier? Or switch tariff? Are you very remote? Even mobile internet should be cheaper than that, surely?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2024, 3:53 pm

We will miss you if you can't make it on the internet, but don't worry if you can't.
I usually say to people to buy a trainset as it answers most questions in life but this is not the same as that.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2024, 3:55 pm

Mine's around $70 I think, for unlimited. I'd have to check.

I agree though Duck. There must be options for something cheaper.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2024, 4:33 pm

Cooking can be a very cheap hobby, depending on where you live.
The supermarkets around me have loss leader sales to get you into the store.
I recently bought London Broil for $2 per pound and made steak garlic bites.
6 oz of steak is $.75, much cheaper than fast food takeout!
It does require a bit of skill to tenderize, marinate, and cook something like that, but that is the hobby aspect of cooking! Done well, it can taste as good as steak at a good restaurant. Most good restaurants don't have a chef with superb knife skills to make sure that each and every bite has good "mouth feel." You only get that at the best places!

I have fast cable Internet at $50 per month, including taxes.

I think I could switch to a cheaper vendor, but I didn't want to hassle with changing and it works well enough as it is.

I used to prune roses at Elizabeth Gardens in Hartford Connecticut.
Sometimes if I have time I'll pull the weeds to keep the rose beds tidy.
I've pulled weeds while listening to a "Big Shot famous lecturer." He didn't mind that I was doing that. :D

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2024, 8:57 pm

btdt

two weeks ago, i wasted a lot of time and energy pulling the weeds out of my backyard, b/c a couple of weeks before that, my sister told me to pull weeds once every couple of days. which sounded way too often to me, but whatever. my sister owns the house that i live in, and every time i bother her (for example, dryer not working, leaky faucet), she threatens to sell the house. now that i am 41, pulling weeds makes my worthless corpse stiff and sore. it takes a lot of time and energy to pull the smallest amount of weeds. yes, plenty of people much older than me do gardening, but maybe they are much healthier than me. some of your health, you control. some of your health, you do not control.

cooking could be a really good idea. i do not even know how to fry an egg. been living alone for five years or so. everything i eat that is warm or hot, comes from the microwave. not ideal, but good enough for all practical purposes. tired of eating the same thing every day, but there is enough of it (quantity). nutrition decent but not great. just not gourmet or delicious but whatever. "life" goes on. cooking more could save $$$ on groceries. on the other hand, i do not *really* buy that much ready to eat food per se. lentil salad, tempeh, ready to eat.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2024, 9:41 pm

That is normal. It takes conditioning to do physical work. Being retired, I can do a little at a time and build up my conditioning to do difficult tasks like lifting a car battery to take to the dump.

Cooking can make ordinary food less boring. Tonight I made SPAM Musubi from a Hawaiian recipe. Adding an oyster and soy sauce and serving as a topping on steamed rice wrapped in seafood make it regular menu item for me.