Autism diagnosis ruined this guy's life (Reddit)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2024, 12:40 am

About parents who might've go down to the autism trend and exploit the heck out of it?

No surprises such people exists, IMO.

About the misdiagnosed NT; he's right -- it shouldn't had happened in the first place.

Is he getting therapy for that?
How much support does he get from processing all of this, self awareness or not and in such a short time?

And the outdated system that treats him that way simply because he has this label?

That's not a surprise, either.
The labels primes certain people of ideas of how one 'treats these people'. :roll:

The fact that he's able to stop taking those meds? That's not something to sneeze at.

Even better since it's by his will. I'd respect and resonate with such person.

The misdiagnosis itself and the awful systems?
The patterns are still typical misdiagnosis stories for me.

No different than those who got misdiagnosed contrary to their actual condition or lack of thereof -- no matter the age, stage of life, whose fault did it, etc.., gets the wrong meds, receives wrong treatments, gets practically experimented or taking series of meds/treatments for not being responsive with it, declining prognosis, gets trapped in some system, etc.

Impacting their health, relationship and career.

Until they're able to leave the space where they're trapped, stop taking meds, stop getting side effects, stop getting mistreated, etc.

I won't be surprised if there are similar stories and patterns of narratives, no matter how more or less detailed.

I could always switch a person's name and gender, their occupation, their 'triggers', who or what perpetuated it, the misdiagnosis, the mis-treatments, how long, where, etc.

Along with how they get out, the story telling, the damage or change, which phase are they; grieving, past grieving, on appropriate treatment, with support, no support and alone, lawsuit possible, successful or unsuccessful or not possible, etc.

Everyone has their stories.
But to me... Most stories are... Predictable.

It's just that this particular pattern is crappy, with many individuals and many institutions had to answer for.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2024, 10:43 am

It is very understandable that Autism stereotypes could destroy a life.

I'm incredibly glad the DSM did not add Asperger's Syndrome (my landing spot on the Autism Spectrum) until 1994, the year I turned 40. My parents thought I was "weird" but realized I was also bright and they accepted me the way I was. Overall, it worked out pretty good.

In an ideal universe I would've been diagnosed young but received the kind of accomodation I needed due to it: skills to handle bullies, organized social activities that would interest me (I don't even know what they would be...perhaps organized activities to benefit the community?)...

My parents did craft a good bedroom for me, though. Not because of any diagnosis but because it pleased me: my own bedroom with cadet blue walls, darkish medium blue carpet, black towel, black bedspread, black furniture, black light-blocking curtains, and books I liked.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2024, 3:10 pm

Either this kid was misdiagnosed and was a victim of munchausen by proxy or he was unaware of his autism symptoms. I suspect they shoved autism in his face so he started to exaggerate it. But good he stopped and started to be himself than the label.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2024, 1:57 am

It's hard to tell from this person's account of what happened if they were wrongly diagnosed and actually don't have ASD or if they actually do have ASD but the accommodations were more harmful than helpful. Either way, it's a telling story of how people with ASD don't always get appropriate support and how diagnosis can be hit or miss.