Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

JosetteJoy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2024, 5:25 am

I asked everyone how autism blessed them, and half of the responses I received were along the lines of "Autism doesn't bless me." I don't buy that. I know it's hard being autistic, but flowers only grow after the storm.

Yes. I know autism feels like a curse. But when we only focus on the negative things in life, we'll never find the positives. God blessed the world with autism. We should be trying to find the strengths He gave us through our autism and trying to bless the world with them.

Let me put it in an analogy:

People fear big, ugly dogs, such as Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, or Dobermanns because they aren't pretty like Huskys or small like Chihuahuas or clean like Poodles. But, despite their shortcomings, they are some of the sweetest dog breeds. People like Cesar Millan used his influence to help break the stigma around Pit Bulls that they're killing machines. He taught people that dogs are influenced by their owners, and you have to train the owner in order to rehabilitate the dog. Pit Bulls can be dangerous, but if given the proper training and attention, they can become very loyal and obedient and calm and collected and gentle, etc.

Just like Pit Bulls, Autism has a stigma around it, too. People believe sterotypical things about autism. If we want to change that, we have to show people our strengths. We have to show them that autism isn't a curse. (We especially need to teach that to ourselves) Autism comes with great attributes: honesty, empathy, outside-of-the-box thinking, genuine emotions, etc.

But people won't want to help us when we are struggling if we treat them poorly. When someone doesn't understand autism, we shouldn't criticize them. We should inform them. When someone asks for advice for an autistic peer, we shouldn't be condescending. We should step into the shoes of the autistic person and give advice from our experiences that can help.

Toren Wolf, an autistic teen on YouTube, had a video where he showed a tiny mushroom growing right after a huge storm. We should all strive to be that mushroom.

You are all doing great. Storms are always tough, (I loathe any form of lightning and thunder) but there's always an eye in the storm. Seek for it.

You all are amazing! :heart: :heart: :heart:

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2024, 7:57 am

While I agree that aspects of autism can be a blessing and I try to be ND positive, I am careful about how much I say about that here because there are lots of people here reading and posting who really struggle with the negative aspects. I feel that the value in WP is to help those people who are struggling and I imagine the last thing those people want to hear is how wonderful autism is from someone who doesn't share their struggles. It's sort of necessary because of how broad the spectrum is.

I'm just wondering if that might be why you didn't get more positive responses in the other thread?

TikvaBall
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2024, 8:23 am

I do agree that there are positive features, but there are negative ones too. While I try to be positive, sometimes it's good to have a place where you can talk about the very real struggles that also come with autism.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2024, 12:06 pm

Autism is a blessing makes as much sense as my clubfoot is my superpower.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2024, 12:24 pm

I don’t believe my autism is a blessing. It just is. It’s caused me (or contributed towards) more challenges than benefits. Still, at this point, it’s not something I would change if I could because it’s a part of who I am.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2024, 12:44 pm

Everyone has a phase to process.
This can change someone's views overtime.

Especially when an autistic, spent a good portion of their background thought, grieving for things they want, and worse, things they instinctively crave as a human social animal, but will only believe will never get because of whatever they believe around the label and whatever personal contexts that do led them to such incidents.
On top of it, caused them distress or even illness.

If they want to be stuck, then they'll be stuck.
If they want to be honest, then they'll be honest.

If they want to condemn themselves, then let them. :lol:

If the question brings them just a way to answer the question, then they're going on a direction whether it's different from their chosen path or not.

If the question of 'how autism blessed them' brings them bitterness, denial, optimism or their highest truth, let them. :lol:
If they want to change their minds, let them.

I'm in the process of leaving the tug of wars between hostile envy driven curebies, frustrated socially deprived mourners, in denial supremacists, yet-to-develop-identity and label-obsessed persons, or... Whatever.

:lol: Autistics aren't so special in this regard as well.
Most humans are subject to particular patterns and stories like how the physical body is subject to worldly physics.

Doesn't mean I won't try and help them, though.

The nuisance of Emotional Processing is a key to end particular hung-up shites I mentioned though.

My answer, if the question is 'is your autism a blessing or a curse?'
I will always answer it's both.

But 'how autism blesses me' -- your typical answer is their strengths and how a particular challenge empowers them.
Mine is usually how I can use autism to my favor dealing with or expand this human experience and existence.

'How autism curses me' -- your typical answers will be related to impairments related symptomology and the lack of power to get over the unwanted toxicity.
I don't have that; how autism curses me is how it is a blessing for everyone else and in detriment of my ego, really.

:lol: Being a human is more of a curse to me, actually.

I'm somewhat grateful that I don't have sexual or romantic attractions and that I'm asocial in a sense that I don't have the same social craving and longing that most humans have...

I don't want more brute forced pluses and creative negatives, I want zeroes. :o

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2024, 8:11 pm

It was NTs who raised me, fed me, clothed me, sent me to school and launched me into the world. NTs are good people, too.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2024, 9:45 pm

JosetteJoy wrote:
I asked everyone how autism blessed them, and half of the responses I received were along the lines of "Autism doesn't bless me." I don't buy that. I know it's hard being autistic, but flowers only grow after the storm. . .
Ahh . . . youthful idealism is so precious, yet shatters so easily when impacted by reality.

Just wait until your first real full-time job.  You will quickly learn why we feel so negatively toward NTs.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2024, 11:20 pm

I think autism comes with blessings and curses. But I also think struggles are their own kind of blessing. The most unfortunate people on Earth are those who have never had hardship in their lives. It is by overcoming difficulties that our lives are given meaning and that we become stronger. Yes, having autism can be really hard sometimes. But if everything was good all the time, we wouldn't be able to enjoy it. Struggling in life makes you appreciate the good parts so much more, and even ignoring the blessings I have and the fact that autism makes me who I am, the struggles I've had have given me a perspective on the world that many NTs don't have, and that I would never want to give up.

Responding to earlier comments, no one's saying that autism is a blessing. Whether it's overall more good than bad could be endlessly debated, is different for each person, and also isn't really a worthwhile question. The point being made is that it comes with both good qualities and bad qualities.

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.

JosetteJoy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2024, 4:36 am

Fnord wrote:
JosetteJoy wrote:
I asked everyone how autism blessed them, and half of the responses I received were along the lines of "Autism doesn't bless me." I don't buy that. I know it's hard being autistic, but flowers only grow after the storm. . .
Ahh . . . youthful idealism is so precious, yet shatters so easily when impacted by reality.

Just wait until your first real full-time job.  You will quickly learn why we feel so negatively toward NTs.

Don't get me wrong, I have a hard time with autism and neurotypicals, too. It seems that most everyone gets angry when I mention my special interest. They make me feel naive. My autism makes me feel naive. It makes me anxious. It makes me confused. It hurts when my senses are overloaded.
But I don't like to dwell on it. I like thinking about the good things in life. It makes me a happier person. When the neurotypicals around me allow me to talk about my special interest or even bring it up themselves, it feels so rewarding. My autism makes me feel happiness in the extremes.
I know I'm young and have a lot to learn, and I understand that there will be people in my life that won't appreciate me, and It's awful that people are bullies to people like us, but I want to spread positivity and make people happy. I always want to make the world a better place.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2024, 5:06 am

There are NTs who have done me wrong, but they either have handicapped children or they haven't gone too far in life. The one who repeatedly said I soiled myself when I didn't at the age of 7 is now living on the streets.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2024, 5:10 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
It was NTs who raised me, fed me, clothed me, sent me to school and launched me into the world. NTs are good people, too.

thanks CR

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2024, 6:57 am

Well, Autism is such a massive and general diagnosis that one doesn't know how to really reply to the general post.
I am pretty sure I am AS, and it HAS affected me in good and bad ways.

I was literally shocked when I heard about AS. My exposure to autism was BEFORE 1980, and I only knew about CLASSICAL Autism. That is often pretty bad, though IT has degrees also.

AS has affected my life in good and bad ways, but I think I prefer it to being "normal". It has helped me career and kept m away from a lot of grief.

As or Neurotypical? That term makes about as much sense as an Amish person calling someone English! A jewish person will call a non jewish person gentile, which basically means they are of "the nations"(AKA NON JEWISH).

An Amish person generally calls a non Amish person English!! !! !! I guess that is because they settled in the US, an English speaking nation that originally spoke only english, and was mostly populated by the English, and the amish spoke German.

But what IS "neurotypical"? To a person seeing thmselves as fundamentally mentally different, they see people not apparently so affected as "typical". Not exactly a really definable thing. 8(

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2024, 10:29 am

you can suzy sunshine all you want, my autism is a disability to me, I don't care how neurotypicals think or what anybody nt or nd thinks about me. autism has not blessed me, I have had to fight my own neurology all my life, nice you want to bring light and joy to others but each person's experience will be different and some of us really do struggle. Telling me my autism is a gift is to deny my struggles and emotional pain. Have a great happy in denial life sunbeam!! !!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2024, 10:57 am

While I've never been through any phase of envying NTs or wanting to be with them, I'm past the point of going cynical over NTs as soon as I realized that my own parents are just as fallible humans.

And that NTs have their own hells to deal with just like any human had to.

I hate being a human. :lol:
And this mess of a thread is just one of the countless reasons why.

But I make do. As usual.
I had to. For sanity's sake.
Until mastery of being one.

Tsky. :o

But sure. :lol:
Seeing "overly-high" individuals is annoying in a sense that their expressions is dissonating.

It's like one of those people who got over their depression (or those who never dealt with depression) and shared what joy is to a group of people who have depression.

It's the same sort of type of 'emotional logic'.

It makes me question this community a bit, actually, after years of interaction and reading accounts of online interactions.

In which even autistics cared how things are being said. :lol:
Just like how NTs complained that it's all about how things are said, not what it was said.

Most especially in topics related in lines of 'positivity'.
Again, I don't see this as anything special or exclusively an autistic issue nor autistics are exempted from such 'rule'...

Just that not a lot observed it.
Or at least don't express their observations if they do.

Well, I have very contrary views against plenty of common views of being autistic like "all autistics are social losers or something like that." :roll: Or the idea that "fear and suffering is fundamental to all autistic experience".

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2024, 12:26 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Autism is a blessing makes as much sense as my clubfoot is my superpower.

autisticelders wrote:
you can suzy sunshine all you want, my autism is a disability to me, I don't care how neurotypicals think or what anybody nt or nd thinks about me. autism has not blessed me, I have had to fight my own neurology all my life, nice you want to bring light and joy to others but each person's experience will be different and some of us really do struggle. Telling me my autism is a gift is to deny my struggles and emotional pain. Have a great happy in denial life sunbeam!! ! !

I hate to be this way but I was offended by these posts. You can have your own opinions but please respect other people's views. We all experience different things. Yes, we all have struggles, and no one is trying to deny that. I don't mean to speak for anyone else but I don't think autism is overall a blessing for anyone. But for many (not all) of us it has blessed us in certain ways, while being difficult in many other ways.
We all have different experiences. I'm only asking that everyone respects others' experiences, both the positive and negative aspects. Even if you don't think autism has blessed you, you still have blessings. I understand that everyone has difficulties in life, but it's important to remember the positive things too.

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.