If you were given the oppertunity to join witsec, would you?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

justanotherpersonsomewhere23124
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Aug 2024, 7:52 pm

Would you embrace the change, or not?

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2024, 8:16 pm

What is Witsec, exactly? :|

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2024, 8:25 pm

United States federal witness program from what I just looked up. I live in the UK so it does not apply to me.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2024, 8:41 pm

Join the Witness Protection Program?

If you're not a witness to some criminal enterprise than it doesnt apply to you.

JamesW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2024, 6:24 am

I'm guessing you're talking less about witness protection specifically, and more about the idea of changing your entire identity and starting from scratch without anyone knowing anything about who you were before.

Would I? Absolutely not. Two reasons:

1. I'm autistic. Masking is exhausting.
2. It doesn't work anyway. I saw plenty of (neurotypical) people try to do it when they arrived at college.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 12:02 pm

Wouldn't that mean I snitched? :skull:

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 1:59 pm

It doesn't apply to me. I live in Canada.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 3:31 pm

Changing your identity would be difficult these days.

Although if you kept to yourself most of the time as most autistic people do you might get away with it.

You would have to change your name & lack of the a past or people in it, is tricky to explain if your a man, people assume the worst that your being dishonest & trying to hide your past like a sex offender or ex criminal etc..

- George Bernie Shaw

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 3:43 pm

carlos55 wrote:
Changing your identity would be difficult these days.

Although if you kept to yourself most of the time as most autistic people do you might get away with it.

You would have to change your name & lack of the a past or people in it, is tricky to explain if your a man, people assume the worst that your being dishonest & trying to hide your past like a sex offender or ex criminal etc..

Yep, these days it's practically impossible to avoid being tracked down. There's just too many people in too many parts of the world taking photos all the time. Face recognition has also advanced a lot. I've got a program for personal use that goes through all of my photos and identifies the faces. It's not super accurate, but it gets better each face I show it, and it would be a lot more accurate with more faces to work with.

If you're trying to disappear, you're pretty much stuck not being out in public at all.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 3:46 pm

Yes, I would and sometimes wish I could.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 3:57 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
It doesn't apply to me. I live in Canada.

Relevant: https://rcmp.ca/en/federal-policing/wit ... on-program

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 4:24 pm

Doesnt matter if you're "Canadian" or not.
Its hypothetical...lets you could do regardless.

Hypothetically what if you could do an identity makeover...start a new life. Would you go for it?

Strange question because few on this site are guilty of being in the Mafia so we dont have the normal motivation of escaping prosecution by volunteering to snitch on the bigger fish "in da family".

The OP maybe talking about some kind general shame that goes with growing up autistic.

I dont see how creating a fake new ID and fake new backstory biography for yourself with govt. help would do much for that problem if that is the problem you want to address.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 20 Aug 2024, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 4:26 pm

I’d like to do it so my abusive ex and his associates wouldn’t know where I live and couldn’t find me or contact me. A fresh start sounds nice, too.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 4:37 pm

I'd join if I had the opportunity.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 4:45 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I’d like to do it so my abusive ex and his associates wouldn’t know where I live and couldn’t find me or contact me. A fresh start sounds nice, too.

We have places your family can hide in peace and security. Cape Fear, Terror Lake, New Horrorfield, Screamville.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 4:48 pm

They sound like typical, small towns in America. :shrug: