Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

BeanNoneya
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Aug 2024, 11:40 pm

So I'm probably between need levels 1 and 2. I'm verbally and socially a 1. I'm intelligent and creative. I have a very functioning social world because all of my friends are ND. Buuuuut, at home? I definitely have needs.

I can go a month without bathing, don't feed myself well, don't have a job(but make a little money making stim toys for people who pick their skin), I don't drink enough water. I probably wouldn't leave the house if I didn't have to. I can go weeks without talking, and I am married with a kid.(both also autistic, so that's not really a big deal)

I really kind of need help. Like, a personal helper. I also have hypermobile Ehlers Danlos syndrome, so I can get someone, but I don't know who (a nurse?), how much help to ask for(sometimes body doubling is enough), how much I CAN ask for(I really really need to go swim 30-45 minutes away from my house). It all makes me feel guilty, awkward, and burdensome. But I also know that getting some help will take stress off my husband. Like, would they do a little bit of housework? How does this work?

Do any of you have helpers? Can you answer my questions? TIA

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2024, 12:27 am

I need this myself but it's hard to find without paying an arm and a leg.
If you have an occupational therapist, I'd start by asking them.

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2024, 12:57 am

Hi BeanNoneya,
I have hEDS too.
I'm trying to work out the same questions, but in another country.
The answers are probably fairly age dependant.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2024, 7:45 am

you might try checking with local social services agency,
if you are 50 or older you may find good input from senior citizens centers.
check also with disability agencies near you. Local hospitals keep lists of resources and usually have a related social worker. You can also look up 211 online to get info about almost any local resources available for your county. (call or do an internet search) sometimes the hardest part of getting help is knowing where to look.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson