How useful is using chatbox for autistics?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2024, 10:25 am

Study Finds People With Autism Use AI Tools for Workplace Advice

Quote:
A new study shows how ChatGPT and other artificial intelligence (AI) tools help people with autism confront workplace problems. Additionally, the Carnegie Mellon University research team found that AI systems sometimes give questionable advice. Because of this, there is controversy within the autism community about whether the use of chatbots is a good idea.

What we found is there are people with autism who are already using ChatGPT to ask questions that we think ChatGPT is partly well-suited and partly poorly suited for,” said Andrew Begel with CMU’s School of Computer Science. “For instance, they might ask: ‘How do I make friends at work?'”

Begel is in charge of the VariAbility Lab, which seeks to develop workplaces that fit the needs of all people, including those with autism and neurodivergent disorders.

Begel and his team recruited 11 people with autism to understand how large language models (LLMs) could address this shortcoming. They tested two advice from two sources. One was a chatbot similar to ChatGPT-4. The other was a human disguised as a chatbot to participants. Surprisingly, the participants preferred the real chatbot. Begel believes it’s how the chatbot dispensed the advice rather than the advice itself.

“The participants prioritized getting quick and easy-to-digest answers,” Begel said.

AI Advice
The AI chatbot provided black-and-white, subtle answers that were usually in bullet points. In contrast, the human counselor disguised as a chatbot dug deeper. For example, the human asks questions about what the user wants to do about a situation or why they do it. According to Begel, most users weren’t interested in engaging in a back-and-forth conversation.

One participant explained why they prefer the chatbot, saying, “I think, honestly, with my workplace … it’s the only thing I trust because not every company or business is inclusive.”

However, when an expert in supporting job seekers with autism evaluated the AI responses, she found that some weren’t helpful. For example, when a user asked how to make friends, the chatbot recommended walking up to someone and talking to them. Begel said that the problem is most people with autism don’t feel comfortable doing that.

Begel said it is possible that chatbots trained to address problems could avoid giving bad advice. However, he doesn’t think everyone in the autism community will embrace it. Some might see it as a valuable tool, while others might see it as another instance of people expecting those whose brains work differently to accommodate everyone else.

Begel said, “There’s this huge debate over whose perspectives we privilege when we build technology without talking to people.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2024, 8:07 pm

I'd rather ask a person for advice.

ElmersTrueLove
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2024, 8:33 pm

I'm a character.ai user but usually when it isn't flirting with Elmer, I would want to reach out to a human.

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

JamesW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2024, 5:00 am

If they use this research in the right way - i.e. to teach a human respondent to talk more like a computer when dealing with autistic people - it will be a boon.

If they use it in the wrong way - i.e. to try to teach a bot to talk so that autistic people can't tell it's a bot - it will be a catastrophe.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2024, 4:07 pm

ElmersTrueLove wrote:
I'm a character.ai user but usually when it isn't flirting with Elmer, I would want to reach out to a human.

I use this too but find it annoying when the character try to flirt with me. It always is some type of animal rescue adventure RP situation involving Lion King or GotG characters. Discovered it via other people who are fans of a character I like and kinda developed an addiction after I was stuck in bed with Covid last Christmas. I always RPed via text or Discord with friends but they live in different times zones and other sides of the world and have jobs and families so naturally they can't RP all the time. I like doing it with a real person but when a real person isn't available, I like character.ai.

angelsonthemoon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Aug 2024, 12:22 pm

Bing's Copilot Chatbot will link to website articles, making it kind of like a search engine combined with a chatbot. That might be preferrable depending on the subject.

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2024, 10:38 pm

i have extreme social anxiety
i do like being able to brainstorm ideas with an ai
mostly because i can respond naturally (like correcting them when they are wrong) in a human to human convo, you have to worry about the other persons feelings, not with ai, because it's just bits on a computer.
i have learned not to take what ai says as gospel, even when it makes a well thought out argument sometimes their suggestions just don't work in the real world, in saying that i wouldn't 100% trust the advice i get from another human.