Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

JosetteJoy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Aug 2024, 2:48 pm

What is something good that has happened to you because of your autism? How has you being autistic blessed you?
For me, my special interest is Studio C. I love to comment on every post they make on YouTube and now Instagram. It became a routine. Studio C posts, I comment.
In May, I was able to go to a live taping of Studio C. Of course I commented saying I was going. There, I was surprised to find out that the cast and crew love my comments so much that they decided to surprise me with gifts and a shout out in front of the whole audience.
And it all happened because I was engaging with my special interest :heart:

Do you have any stories? How has your autism blessed you?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 2:52 pm

It hasn't.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 3:36 pm

I hitched a ride with a serial killer, and got away because he didn't know how to deal with my disconnection. He kept trying to scare me, and I wasn't reacting as he wanted.

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 3:47 pm

All my special interests are blessings. I can't imagine only having a mild interest in anything ... it must be so dull.
I also think being different is a blessing. It's not always (in fact, almost never) easy but I try to remember that diversity is a gift both to the world and to each individual. Weirdos make life so much more interesting.

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 4:06 pm

It is actually a very difficult question to answer as I was diagnosed recently in my early 50's, so looking back, it is difficult to say. I have never been like other people but neither have I ever wanted to be!
But what bits of my life would I not have been able to do had I not have been autistically minded?

All I can say is that there have been aspects where I have been able to do things that others have not, but also in other things it has been the opposite.

Example is tuat before wifi deafened me (I could hear wifi) I used to be able to hear bats and dog whistles, the high pitched sound of mobile phones etc, but this is of little use other than watching bats. Actually was an issue as I had to hold mobile phones away from my face and head to be able to use them and mobiles in those days needed them close to hear. 4G came along and I can "Feel" it which is not pleasant and also when they started putting up 5G, it was time to move out to live in another area... Sadly this area went to 5G though the good thing is that our house has poor phone coverage so relief!

But positives! I am not a quick thinker BUT I am a very deep methodical thinker who can keep thinking and thinking and cross referencing in my mind and can be for years on the same subjects, and this enables me to find outcomes to things that other people do not see. I is amazing how many things others just believe because they saw it on TV, or take for granted that something was a fact without even questioning this for themselves which I honestly think is a little stupid, because we all have a mind for the use of.

One big positive is the ability to remember scenes and design things in my mind in a visual form be it 3D like a film or like CAD CAM where one can fit designed pieces together in ones mind,, or be it 2D like a picture form. It can be a slow design process as I can spend years visually thinking things through, so maybe is not so practical for a career (Though my Grandad and his Dad were both designers by trade having designed the origional designs which started off a fair few everyday things we see and use today (Or they were made possible due to their designs making ways to make other things possible if that makes sense?) even if in an indirect form). I found I was out of depth in th engineering field because when I deep think in maths, I turn to visual thinking in patterns of dots, and when it comes to complex equasions, I can't think visually in letter form (E.G. "X" or "Y" etc) which let me down, as I can think in them if I can surface think but as soon as I have to think deeper, I can't as I slip into visual thought of patterns of dots where I have no way to hold letters into the dot pattern thinking... I can call a letter a number but then it all gets confused when I shift it back and fore between my deep thinking visual mind and my everyday surface thinking mind if that makes sense?

Anyway. I am not helping in this thread!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 4:29 pm

It has really blessed me in avoiding the pitfalls that others get into. (Though that if one ignores the struggles that others don't seem to get. Swings and roundabouts).

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 5:37 pm

Nothing about ability based or trait based.

My abilities are not so special nor stood out much, my traits aren't particularly unique, nor very helpful when there's nothing to offset it.

Only the perspective of an outsider as a means of attaining personal freedom.

I'm great at making do with my own autistic status and all of it's traits.
But the ability to make do is a very adaptive ability that not a lot of NTs have let alone autistics do.

That's actually my well acquired cultural trait that autism amplifies in some form or another.

So yeah, autism as a perspective, tool and mindset born out of it than a trait or as an ability.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 7:00 pm

By making me "socially awkward", I learned to achieve my accomplishments on my own, and without help or encouragement of any kind.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 7:35 pm

By giving me my own little country and a love for music.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 7:40 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

KinksFanistan? :P

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 7:46 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Yep

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 8:17 pm

Being an Aspie helped me do well in the world of computers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 8:31 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Yep

My country wishes to establish an embassy. :nerdy:

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 9:20 pm

JosetteJoy wrote:
What is something good that has happened to you because of your autism? How has you being autistic blessed you?
For me, my special interest is Studio C. I love to comment on every post they make on YouTube and now Instagram. It became a routine. Studio C posts, I comment.
In May, I was able to go to a live taping of Studio C. Of course I commented saying I was going. There, I was surprised to find out that the cast and crew love my comments so much that they decided to surprise me with gifts and a shout out in front of the whole audience.
And it all happened because I was engaging with my special interest :heart:

Do you have any stories? How has your autism blessed you?

Asperger's blessed me by influencing me to be a cheapskate because I dont feel social pressure to spend money the way most neurotypicals do.It has also possibly helped me to be a better investor by not being overly emotional in my investing behavior.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 10:46 pm

Not a lot of blessings, but I think I'm a clearer thinker and I am not easily swayed or influenced.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 11:30 pm

Naivete....! And the want to nonstop learn anything , I need to progress....very selectively...and most anything that causes me curiousity ..... and attempt to understand anything I deem of curiousity . ......
Just the naivete nearly cost me my life,much more than 2 or 3 + times ..(.and possibly conversely some people I loved )..I feel once in a great while..... 8O

where ever you go ,there you are