Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2024, 1:46 pm

Do people here have trouble with buttons? Im talking about buttoning up your shirts. I can skip a button. I can put my t-shirt on inside out too, I can have trouble putting my pants on, I can put my leg in the wrong pant hole. When I was in elementary school, my pants was on backward. LOL. Maybe this because of Autism or Learning Disabilities.

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2024, 4:42 pm

The sad part is when your partner doesn't notice and lets you go out like that.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2024, 5:00 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
Do people here have trouble with buttons? Im talking about buttoning up your shirts. I can skip a button. I can put my t-shirt on inside out too, I can have trouble putting my pants on, I can put my leg in the wrong pant hole. When I was in elementary school, my pants was on backward. LOL. Maybe this because of Autism or Learning Disabilities.

When I was a kid, Kris Kross had that whole thing of wearing their pants backwards. Personally, I try to remember that there's a reason why shirts are "button down" not "button up." It's a bit of a hint to start from the top as the bottom is often where the spare buttons that cause most of the confusion are located.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2024, 5:34 pm

I think that it can just be chalked up to general situational obliviousness. It may be connected to your autism to some extent, but such things happen to everyone once it a while, autistic or neurotypical.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2024, 8:50 pm

It's something that happens. I guess you can try to get in the habit of double checking.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2024, 11:38 pm

years and years....of doing the inside out clothing, buttons are a small part .....but its embarassing when no one says anything . 8O

where ever you go ,there you are

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 4:36 am

I've got some kind of habitual checking routine for that kind of thing, which mostly works. It often annoys me to fasten buttons, but I have no choice. One of the worst things is when they've made the buttonholes a bit too small and every button takes longer to sort out.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 7:41 am

I got into the habit of double checking when I was in college.

JamesW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2024, 8:18 am

Jakki wrote:
years and years....of doing the inside out clothing, buttons are a small part .....but its embarassing when no one says anything . 8O

That's just it. It's embarrassing when no-one says anything, and it's also embarrassing when someone does say something!

JamesW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2024, 8:19 am

For me it's a multitasking thing. If I'm doing my shirt up and I get distracted by something else, it's more or less guaranteed I'll miss a button. I'll always double check.

flat_affect
Raven
Raven

12 Sep 2024, 8:50 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I've got some kind of habitual checking routine for that kind of thing, which mostly works. It often annoys me to fasten buttons, but I have no choice. One of the worst things is when they've made the buttonholes a bit too small and every button takes longer to sort out.

I don't know how many times I usually check, but it's way more than twice. I do that with a lot of things, as if I just don't trust myself to not f**k things up.
Buttonholes that seem too small can drive me crazy sometimes, as well.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 3:41 pm

flat_affect wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

I don't know how many times I usually check, but it's way more than twice. I do that with a lot of things, as if I just don't trust myself to not f**k things up.
Buttonholes that seem too small can drive me crazy sometimes, as well.

I don't trust myself with much either, but I usually reserve my more extreme checking for making sure I've not lost my house keys or bank cards, and other things that would really mess up my life if they went wrong.