How might an austic transgender person express themselves...

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

justanotherpersonsomewhere23124
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Sep 2024, 10:50 pm

compared to non-autistic people? Like, do you think that NTs may deny an autistic person is transgender because of how the autistic person acts?

notboston
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Sep 2024, 9:17 am

I don’t think being NT necessarily means someone is more likely skeptical about another person’s gender identity.

I feel like there are autistic people who behave in a way that makes others question that person’s own agency and decision making.

Finding external support for your gender identity shouldn’t be any more difficult finding external support for nearly anything else. Social interaction is a two way street, though.

I know and know of a few trans people and generally feel like their comfort improved as they started displaying or portraying themselves how they liked. But on the other hand, there have been some people with ASD I meet who seem helpless. One of the people I know identifies as femme non-binary but she complains about being fat, having a beard, etc. etc., all things that are completely within her control. And I imagine because of her appearance she doesn’t find opportunities to really live as an out person.

Idk whole point of the story is as long as you’re confident enough to assert your identity, ignore bad faith questions, and stay positive, I think you will find ample opportunity to be yourself and find your people. But if you’re the type to traumadump or list all your diagnoses or stick to a topic nobody else seems to want to talk about, I think people will keep their distance. Not because of your identity but because of how hard it is to interact with someone like that.