Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Netjeru9
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jul 2024, 1:49 pm

Why the adult life with Asperger Syndrome is so complicated?
My life is always complicated, since I have the diagnost of Asperger Syndrome in 5/5/2005, here in Lisbon, Portugal. I have soufering bullying between 1983 and 2013. The portuguese society dont care about autism, because the portuguese mind of the half a part of society is, to me, stupid. If you have an answer to my question, I will apreciate your answer. :)

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2024, 1:50 am

I don't know the answer to why. I do know how life with autism is more difficult, and a lot of it is because people are uninformed and unsympathetic to anyone who has a different life experience than their own. I'm sorry you've had to go through being bullied.

Netjeru9
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jul 2024, 7:42 am

Thanks you for your answer. It is not the answer I looking for, but I thank you aniway.

JamesW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2024, 7:48 am

Netjeru9 wrote:
My life is always complicated, since I have the diagnost of Asperger Syndrome in 5/5/2005, here in Lisbon, Portugal. I have soufering bullying between 1983 and 2013. The portuguese society dont care about autism, because the portuguese mind of the half a part of society is, to me, stupid. If you have an answer to my question, I will apreciate your answer. :)

I think if I had to think of one reason why it's so complicated, it would be: because our minds work differently, and society doesn't allow for that.

It is like an invisible wheelchair. Nobody would ever look at a person in a wheelchair at the bottom of a staircase, and say to them 'Just walk up the stairs! How hard can it be?' But we autistics get that every single day.

I don't ask for special treatment or accommodations. All I ask for is awareness.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2024, 8:37 am

JamesW wrote:
Netjeru9 wrote:

I think if I had to think of one reason why it's so complicated, it would be: because our minds work differently, and society doesn't allow for that.

It is like an invisible wheelchair. Nobody would ever look at a person in a wheelchair at the bottom of a staircase, and say to them 'Just walk up the stairs! How hard can it be?' But we autistics get that every single day.

I don't ask for special treatment or accommodations. All I ask for is awareness.

We are different than what NTs consider normal. NTs perceive social rules that we cannot understand. That puts pressure on us to act differently than what we feel, leading to further mental stress such as masking and meltdowns. I wish that NTs could experience over stimulation at least once so that they could understand what a meltdown feels like to us. I hate having meltdowns in large crowds, as I have to explain why I am acting the way I do.

As for having a hidden disability:

When I teach chemistry classes, I have a syllabus routine that I do to get everyone to understand disabilities and accommodations in the laboratory setting. I simply tell them that I have a disability that they will have to accommodate for. I then have them guess my disability. None of them has guessed correctly in 14 years of teaching. Most guess that I am diabetic being very overweight, but not the case so far (knock on wood). I then disclose that I am extremely colorblind, so I cannot use indicators for titrations or pH paper strips. With that, I have shown them that not all disabilities can be seen with their eyes. I do not disclose my AS to them, as they just think I am quirky as a science professor normally can be.

Netjeru9
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jul 2024, 9:15 am

Hi, Chemist. Thank you for your answer. I am not a teacher, but I understand your problems. I like very much Sciences, like Astrophysics and Astronomy and I have a site on WordPress.com: nunofernandesartes.blog/ . I talk about arte and my life in particule in my site. If you want to visit my site, you are free to do it. But, I need another answer to another question: Why the human beings have só many problems in life?

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2024, 6:48 pm

Netjeru9 wrote:
Hi, Chemist. Thank you for your answer. I am not a teacher, but I understand your problems. I like very much Sciences, like Astrophysics and Astronomy and I have a site on WordPress.com: nunofernandesartes.blog/ . I talk about arte and my life in particule in my site. If you want to visit my site, you are free to do it. But, I need another answer to another question: Why the human beings have só many problems in life?

The answer to your question is in the wiring of the human brain. We are complicated because the human brain is complicated. Slight changes in the chemistry of the brain can cause a different perspective in life for the individual. This can be caused by external sources as well as internal ones. Sometimes these sources compete with each other, which makes the outcome variable at times.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2024, 8:08 pm

People have unreasonable expectations because they can't see our disability. They expect us to grow up and be just like everybody else.

Stormyweathers
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Aug 2024, 3:20 pm

Because like almost every primate on earth, homo sapiens are tribal. If you don't look like you belong, the tribe tends to bully you.

When I was seven years old, I concluded that I would either have to learn to shut-up, or fight.

Now, at 53, I'm a seriously tough nerd.

I'm not saying my solution is good. In hindsight, it probably wasn't, but it gave me a way to cope. The problem is inescapable, so look for a personal way to adapt because this won't change until our species biologically evolves.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2024, 5:18 pm

The social parts don't bother me because I'm not interested in being social. Sensory causes far more problems for me because it restricts my activity and causes physical / emotional discomfort even when I'm alone. If I were the only person on Earth, light sensitivity and other forms of sensory malfunction would still be debilitating.

pokeystinker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2024, 4:06 am

Because it's a f****d up world.

(GENESIS)