Do you get along well with other neurodivergent people?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

AspieAlphys28
Raven
Raven

10 Dec 2015, 11:35 pm

with personal experience, ive found out that I either get along fantastically or poorly with other autistic/ND people. because of my specific sensory and energy levels, some people to me can be too loud or draining to hang out with for too long, even if i know that they arent trying to be that way. on the other hand, i can relate to other nd people more, and sometimes our needs click very well! especially if they are fine with me infodumping, energy breaks, and allowing me to stim freely!

what are your experiences with making friends of other neurodivergent/atypical people?

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 154 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

░█▀▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▀█
░█░░░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀░░░█
░░▀▄░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▄▀
░░░░▌░▄▄░░░▄▄░▐▀▀
░░░▐░░█▄░░░▄█░░▌▄▄▀▀▀▀█
░░░▌▄▄▀▀░▄░▀▀▄▄▐░░░░░░█
▄▀▀▐▀▀░▄▄▄▄▄░▀▀▌▄▄▄░░░█
█░░░▀▄░█░░░█░▄▀░░░░█▀▀▀
░▀▄░░▀░░▀▀▀░░▀░░░▄█▀
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▄░▀▄
░░░█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░█▄█░░▄▀
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░████▀
░░░▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄█▀

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2015, 11:43 pm

It's the same way for me: I either love them or hate them. My best friend isn't diagnosed, but I'm like 85% sure he has Asperger's, and he's a wonderful person. I've met other Aspies whom I couldn't stand, though; they were just mean and short-tempered, and I've tried to befriend some of them because I figured we could talk about Aspie things, but they never worked out; the people would just remain distant and annoying.

AspieAlphys28
Raven
Raven

10 Dec 2015, 11:52 pm

Grammar Geek wrote:
It's the same way for me: I either love them or hate them. My best friend isn't diagnosed, but I'm like 85% sure he has Asperger's, and he's a wonderful person. I've met other Aspies whom I couldn't stand, though; they were just mean and short-tempered, and I've tried to befriend some of them because I figured we could talk about Aspie things, but they never worked out; the people would just remain distant and annoying.

i see what you mean! its frustrating because i would love to get along with every autistic person i meet, but it seems to be just as likely as trying to be friends with all neurotypicals! especially since aspies have very specific needs! one of my closest pals is autistic, and i can hang out with them because we have a specific hangout routine that works for both of us! another autistic person is very nice, but is more outward and loud and drains my energy very fast! i felt bad before for not being able to click to another autistic person, but i learned that it isnt really my fault, i just have a picky and inconvenient friend radar, haha

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 154 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

░█▀▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▀█
░█░░░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀░░░█
░░▀▄░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▄▀
░░░░▌░▄▄░░░▄▄░▐▀▀
░░░▐░░█▄░░░▄█░░▌▄▄▀▀▀▀█
░░░▌▄▄▀▀░▄░▀▀▄▄▐░░░░░░█
▄▀▀▐▀▀░▄▄▄▄▄░▀▀▌▄▄▄░░░█
█░░░▀▄░█░░░█░▄▀░░░░█▀▀▀
░▀▄░░▀░░▀▀▀░░▀░░░▄█▀
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▄░▀▄
░░░█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░█▄█░░▄▀
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░████▀
░░░▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄█▀

Savegraduation
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Dec 2015, 1:33 am

One of my best friends of all time is a schizophrenic woman. She can get into angry, Exorcist-like moods, but she also has times she's very sweet. She does things like saying every food is her favorite: "Tacos are my favorite", "Pzza is my favorite", "Burritos are my favorite", "Lasagna is my favorite", "Strawberries are my favorite", "Peanut Crunch is my favorite", "Hazelnuts are my favorite", "Coffee is my favorite", etc.

Another friend is a paranoid schizophrenic guy. I'm also friends with a man diagnosed with mental retardation. Then there's my transgender friend who's diagnosed with schizophrenia and Asperger's, but seems more like schizotypal to me (he doesn't seem to have a special interest, but he does talk for extended lengths).

Paleonerd21
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Sep 2024, 2:31 pm

I am good friends with two other autistic people in real life. I also have interacted with neurodivergent individuals online and have met only a few folks who were disagreeable.

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 5:13 pm

I only get along with neurodivergent people. Excluding family I've never managed to connect with NTs. (and I often wonder if most of my family is really as NT as they think)

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 5:15 am

One of my closest friends in undiagnosed but I suspect is on the spectrum, and so does he. We talk on the phone for an hour frequently and he talks constantly without pause, and I can barely say anything except by bluntly interrupting. He has some pretty cooky ideas and gets very invested in them. I think a lot of people would find him difficult to be friends with but I find that I can relate to him, though I am not like him in these behaviors that I have described.

My boyfriend is very eccentric but I don't believe he is ND in any way. But over all I get along better with people who are unusual. Though I don't know anyone in real life with is definitely ND.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 10:10 am

I can be.

But I've yet to see how much of it because I never met other NDs of my own age.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 10:42 am

I have a hard time spending time with anyone, regardless of their neurotype. It's nothing against people but I require a hell of a lot of time alone, doing things my own way. The only dx NDs I know are my family, and by that I mean quite literally all of them. They're exhausting because our needs often clash, and we're kind of forced to be together a lot because we're family. Of course I love them but it's hard to separate the inherent overwhelm of family responsibilities from the specifics of anyone's neurology.

In general though, I'm more interested in NDs than NTs. I'm often scared of NTs before I even meet them, just because of my own vulnerability and my own poor self-concept from PTSD.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 9:39 pm

Most of my friends are neurodivergent in one way or another.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 11:19 pm

I live with another autistic (former husband) and we get along very well. She has really strong interests and sometimes bores me with details, but otherwise, fine.

steve30
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2024, 2:00 am

No.

FemmeDimanche
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2024, 2:22 pm

Sometimes. I either love them or find them to be utterly annoying and get a sense of betrayal after being around them.

pokeystinker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Oct 2024, 6:25 pm

Had a bipolar "friend" back in school who latched on to me because he wanted someone to play silly little games with him and I was an outcast (well, I still am).

(GENESIS)