Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

FemmeDimanche
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Yesterday, 6:05 pm

It’s a constant stream of internal dialogue in my head that needs to let out of my system, and I usually do it by talking to myself - even though I don’t see anything and I’m aware I’m the only one in the room. The problem is that it’s caused me a lot of grief in my life. I have a deep-seated fear that if I do continue to do this in public, the cops will be called on me.
It’s akin to clamping a hand over my mouth and telling me to stay silent when I’m told to suppress my inner dialogue, but I know I have to learn how to do it in certain situations more often. So how do I do it? :?

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 6:45 pm

Exact same situation here. When I'm in public I talk to myself under my breath. Sometimes it looks a little weird if I move my mouth too much, but no one can hear me. I've found this to not be a problem.

The only issue I have is when I think no one's around and I start to talk out loud, and then someone hears me.

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 9:20 pm

Some I can think of is either replace said stimming with something else entirely... Because stimming is supposedly a form of self regulatory behavior.

... Or overcome that form of overthinking or whatever source of subtle or subconscious overwhelm you're constantly dysregulated from.

The latter is trickier than the former.

Might as well can look like overcoming maladaptive daydreaming (which itself, apparently is difficult) or practice some form of mindfulness for a manual mental filter between the mind and verbal expression (which can be questionable to anyone who cannot or struggle to make and form habits and do not do well with mental multitasking like masking).

Or -- an exercise to not use words.
Not even with thoughts.
Which can be a struggle for someone whose default mental processes manifests as monologues.
Making said thoughts into something more abstract and/or nonverbal yet still eligible.

But it can be more liberating to someone whose processes are forced to be more verbal.
Still, it's like mindfulness; it can be questionable for someone who struggles to create and maintain habits.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 2:49 am

I suppose an anti-barking collar is too much?