Our life expantancy is 58 apparently.

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2024, 1:50 am

Watched a video and no specific condition kills us at that age, but a lot of us I guess commit suicide before or around that age and that is why that is the life expectancy is, but idk I
plan to try and live to be older than that, I am 35 and I would hope to have more years idk and I already tried to commit suicide once when I was 15 and don't want to do it again. But is it really so dire most autistic people really do die by age 58, like idk I am 35 and I don't want to already be more than half way through my life...a lot of it has been s**t and there is still stuff I want to see before I die. But as much as life has been sh***y somtimes I still want to keep living.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2024, 2:33 am

I thought it was 36. 58 sounds a bit better.

peet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Oct 2024, 2:50 am

Yes, suicide is a part of it. But living so much high cortisol levels and anxiety is very bad for your life expectancy. The main reason why regular exercise is so important.
It similar to trans people. I read something like 50% live past 30 or something like that, mainly because of suicide. Only about 6 months ago gender dysphoria was mandatory to get medical help and legally change your gender in Sweden. Luckily even some of the conservative/right wing people thought, that's bananas. Only the nazi party (SD) and the religious party (CDU) where against it.

As a kid one of my special interest was team sports. I learned lots on how to interact with others and got the exercise. But school wasn't good to me. I enjoyed school up to adolescence. After that, the levels of stress and anxiety became unbearable.
I developed a skill. I could tell how much time that had passed by my anxiety levels within 60 seconds margin of error. That can't be good in the long run, health wise. In my early 20s I entered the planning stage for suicide, no real attempt thou.
I'm 39 and I kind of set on that I won't live until I'm 90. Not that I don't want to but just being realistic...sadness.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2024, 3:00 am

I understand just waiting it all out.

But I don't count on stats because of suicide rates. And because I never planned leaving by suicide.

Yeah, if I found out the average lifespan is higher, I'd be bracing for a literal lifetime of boredom.

Anyone knew the lifespan rate, taking account and excluding said suicide rates (of any causes or circumstances) and high support factors (like needing 24/7 hr supervision to survive, and anything that consitutes as complex medical need like epilepsy)?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

pokeystinker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2024, 5:08 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Watched a video and no specific condition kills us at that age, but a lot of us I guess commit suicide before or around that age and that is why that is the life expectancy is, but idk I
plan to try and live to be older than that, I am 35 and I would hope to have more years idk and I already tried to commit suicide once when I was 15 and don't want to do it again. But is it really so dire most autistic people really do die by age 58, like idk I am 35 and I don't want to already be more than half way through my life...a lot of it has been s**t and there is still stuff I want to see before I die. But as much as life has been sh***y somtimes I still want to keep living.

Sounds too long for me.

(GENESIS)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2024, 8:42 am

So I'm living on borrowed time - owing 13 years and counting.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2024, 9:20 am

That's a lot better than 36. I think a lot of people wish we would die at 36.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2024, 11:43 am

I think that the stats may be swayed by poorer physical health outcomes for Autistic people - which are reflected in various statistics that are available.

Being as there is broad agreement about the links between mental state and physical health it would be (in my opinion) reasonable to assume that the chronic stress that we suffer from living in a world that it is not geared to our neurotype is a key factor in these poorer outcomes and why we have lower rates of longevity than the PNT population.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2024, 12:12 pm

69 here. :shameonyou: That is an AGE, not an OFFER!

I thought stress was a factor. Mightn't that explain some of my cardiology issues?

I think much of my life was stressed and, retroactively, I can attribute much of it to Autism.

Last edited by Double Retired on 11 Oct 2024, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2024, 3:06 pm

My "Best before" date was around 2000
My "Use by" date was 2014. That's when I would have died if I was an uninsured American. (@53) But that's due purely to my connective tissue disorder
We'll see what my "Remove from service" and "Mandatory destruction" dates are soon enough, they're the dates most relevant to suicide/ASD

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2024, 3:24 pm

I am planning to live into my 90's out of pure defiance. Donald Triplett was the first person diagnosed with autism. He died a couple of months before he was about to turn 90, so it can be done.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2024, 3:29 pm

That's too long. :(

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2024, 4:10 pm

I don't have the courage to take my own life so I have to keep trudging along, but I would give anything not to have to do it. My greatest wish is not having existed at all.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2024, 4:28 pm

I realize (to use a golf analogy) that I am on the back 9 of my life. As long as I am healthy and can take care of myself age is irrelevant.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2024, 9:05 pm

For once, I've exceeded expectations.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2024, 9:18 pm

Aspinator wrote:
I realize (to use a golf analogy) that I am on the back 9 of my life. As long as I am healthy and can take care of myself age is irrelevant.

I am not healthy and I can't take care of myself, or only barely.