Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2007, 11:10 am

Hand is to...

A) Glove
B) Bat
C) Car
D) Foot

Anyone else always hated these type of tests? The example given is of course fairly straight forward and simple but when used on standardized tests or for other types of tests it can foul of those who think differently.

Personally, as these types of questions got more sophisticated they became harder and harder to answer. Not because I didn't understand the words or know the meanings of them (there is a reason I've been refered to as Mr. Vocabulary) but because I don't see the same corelations as others.

Even beyond this form of question, any sort of test that asked me to discern a pattern or analogy was incredibly difficult. Not because of a lack of knowledge of the subject matter but because I see things so differently than what is expected.

A simple number scheme of 1, 3, 5, 7, .... where they expected 9, 11; I would answer was 11, 13 or something completely different based on what I saw at that time... I might have seen a series that was defined by a number reducing itself every 4th interation or something equally "off the wall".

Is it just me or do others have this problem? Where even outside of tests, the corelation factor is just completely different than what is expected. Where B may follow A but it's E or Q that follows B instead of C.

jess162k7
Toucan
Toucan

18 Sep 2007, 11:14 am

E after B , but hows that then? and that shouldnt be right anyway :s

dime_jaguar
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Sep 2007, 11:24 am

I think your thinking too much about something, i find the analogy tests incredibly easy, unless they use some tough vocab words.

You put a hat on a head....you put gloves on a hand, wheres the difficulty, it should be easy for you as well if your good a vocab, especially 4th grade vocab.

How about....

DOCTOR : HOSPITAL ::

(A) sports fan : stadium

(B) cow : farm

(C) professor : college

(D) criminal : jail

(E) food : grocery store

This should be easy...

Grimfaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2007, 11:42 am

dime_jaguar wrote:
I think your thinking too much about something, i find the analogy tests incredibly easy, unless they use some tough vocab words.

You put a hat on a head....you put gloves on a hand, wheres the difficulty, it should be easy for you as well if your good a vocab, especially 4th grade vocab.

How about....

This should be easy...

My example was very easy. Yours on the other hand would have me running in circles until I just decided to give up on it and pass on to the next question. I can make logical, valid arguements for every answer being correct depending on what the conotations are on either Doctor or Hospital. In what manner is the doctor related to the hospital? Perhaps the doctor doesn't even work in a hospital or lacks privledges at a hospital? Is it a hospital or a clinic? does it have an ER? Surgery?

It's all well and good to say "you're thinking too much about something" but words, at least for me, do not exist in a vacuum. Each word has its own life and connections to the world around it. They have their own flavor and feel.

dime_jaguar
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Sep 2007, 11:57 am

Grimfaire wrote:
dime_jaguar wrote:

How about....

This should be easy...

My example was very easy. Yours on the other hand would have me running in circles until I just decided to give up on it and pass on to the next question. I can make logical, valid arguements for every answer being correct depending on what the conotations are on either Doctor or Hospital. In what manner is the doctor related to the hospital? Perhaps the doctor doesn't even work in a hospital or lacks privledges at a hospital? Is it a hospital or a clinic? does it have an ER? Surgery?

It's all well and good to say "you're thinking too much about something" but words, at least for me, do not exist in a vacuum. Each word has its own life and connections to the world around it. They have their own flavor and feel.

The thing about an analogy test is that you have to weigh the differences of all the words and find which combinations make the most sense.

Ill give you my take on what a find a simple question, A doctor does what at a hospital, has lunch...yes, talks to the patients...yes, im sure drinks some coffee..yes, wait..isnt the main job of a doctor to help patients...hmm, a cow doesnt get paid for being on a farm, with food yes, but not money like a doctor would, a sports fan has to pay to get in..a criminal has to break the law to get in...doesnt get paid...food doesnt have any say in a grocery store....you know MAYBE, just MAYBE its a professor, his job is to teach students, im sure he gets paid for it, YES, YES, the professor and doctor both hold a JOB and earn wages!! !!

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 12:03 pm

lol, I was WAY off on that one. I took it as all of those things can go into the other things....

it makes sense now that you explained it, but I never know exactly what context is being looked for, so I often miss the obvious connections.

I'm my own guinea pig.

Grimfaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2007, 1:11 pm

[quote="dime_jaguar]

The thing about an analogy test is that you have to weigh the differences of all the words and find which combinations make the most sense.

Ill give you my take on what a find a simple question, A doctor does what at a hospital, has lunch...yes, talks to the patients...yes, im sure drinks some coffee..yes, wait..isnt the main job of a doctor to help patients...hmm, a cow doesnt get paid for being on a farm, with food yes, but not money like a doctor would, a sports fan has to pay to get in..a criminal has to break the law to get in...doesnt get paid...food doesnt have any say in a grocery store....you know MAYBE, just MAYBE its a professor, his job is to teach students, im sure he gets paid for it, YES, YES, the professor and doctor both hold a JOB and earn wages!! !![/quote]

Or... You see a doctor at a hospital... if you go to the hospital that's a bad thing. Thus you see a criminal at a jail and going to a jail is a bad thing.

Both are equally correct and follow the same line of reasoning. Why is one better than the other?

dime_jaguar
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Sep 2007, 1:21 pm

Grimfaire wrote:
[quote="dime_jaguar]

Ill give you my take on what a find a simple question, A doctor does what at a hospital, has lunch...yes, talks to the patients...yes, im sure drinks some coffee..yes, wait..isnt the main job of a doctor to help patients...hmm, a cow doesnt get paid for being on a farm, with food yes, but not money like a doctor would, a sports fan has to pay to get in..a criminal has to break the law to get in...doesnt get paid...food doesnt have any say in a grocery store....you know MAYBE, just MAYBE its a professor, his job is to teach students, im sure he gets paid for it, YES, YES, the professor and doctor both hold a JOB and earn wages!! !!

Or... You see a doctor at a hospital... if you go to the hospital that's a bad thing. Thus you see a criminal at a jail and going to a jail is a bad thing.

Both are equally correct and follow the same line of reasoning. Why is one better than the other?[/quote]

you cant use seeing the doctor at a hospital, because all of sentences relate to each other in that way, and seeing the doctor at a hospital isnt always bad at the hospital, now your getting too subjective, this is what i meant that your over thinking it, and same for seeing a criminal in jail, it isnt always bad, maybe your seeing an old friend or family member.

you cant deny that both the doctor and the professor work in the hospital/college

hey man, if you cant see the correlation then i dont know what to tell you, instead of learning really tough words learn to see as many perspectives of things as much as possible :?:

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 1:29 pm

i do exceptionally well on these things....

think it helps feed my penchant for proper grammar and word usage....

irks me to hear people making improper connections...

although... i do find that there are often OTHER interpretations (or options not given)... but i find them pretty easy to see where they are trying to lead you with the options GIVEN

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 6:20 pm

Grimfaire wrote:
A simple number scheme of 1, 3, 5, 7, .... where they expected 9, 11; I would answer was 11, 13 or something completely different based on what I saw at that time... I might have seen a series that was defined by a number reducing itself every 4th interation or something equally "off the wall".

Is it just me or do others have this problem? Where even outside of tests, the corelation factor is just completely different than what is expected. Where B may follow A but it's E or Q that follows B instead of C.

This is one of the things that I HATE about some tests. They are written by IDIOTS! In the example you have, just 5 numbers would give two MAJOR clues as to what they are looking for. With 4, it shows they are idiots!

As for dime_jaguar's statement, I guessed the correct answer, but thought MAN what a stupid question. It is more a game than a question. My reasoning was that both studied in school for the title, and worked there.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 6:28 pm

lol, I once had one on a test that said:

turmoil:disorder
calamity:

a) disaster b) chaos c) trauma d) a fire e) destruction

now, I still don't think I got that one right-but what do you guys think the best answer is? I found them all fairly suitable, but cannot make the exact connection of what they want. I picked chaos.

I'm my own guinea pig.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 7:24 pm

Analogies, vocabulary and reading comprehension were my strong points. Spatial tasks were always my weakest ones.

dime_jaguar
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Sep 2007, 7:32 pm

nobodyzdream wrote:
lol, I once had one on a test that said:

turmoil:disorder
calamity:

a) disaster b) chaos c) trauma d) a fire e) destruction

now, I still don't think I got that one right-but what do you guys think the best answer is? I found them all fairly suitable, but cannot make the exact connection of what they want. I picked chaos.

i think its disaster, these are synonyms of each other

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 3:29 pm

Shoe is to foot and chair is to:

1.} Ass
2.} Leg
3.} Hand
4.} Back

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

19 Sep 2007, 4:52 pm

Grimfaire wrote:
Hand is to...

A) Glove
B) Bat
C) Car
D) Foot
i always thought i did well on these tests. the answer is highlighted in bold

seppukuh
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Sep 2007, 5:49 pm

I find tests like these absurd and simply wrong. When there is no given rule, any member fits because a rule can be made that makes it fit. It is ridiculous to favor one arbitrary rule over another. Out of principle I refuse to answer questions about relations or sequences that do not state the specific rule that applies.

There's a brilliant example that should make that clear:

Name the animal that doesn't belong into the following sequence: bee, zebra, fly, wasp.

-Stefan