great sadness feeling over something so litttle?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

hakemon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Sep 2007, 2:12 am

Ok, this is so stupid, I don't even know WHY I feel sad over this tiny little thing.

Before I went to school today, I noticed a lizard on my door, I tried to get him off, and I thought I did. I get to school (an hours long drive!), and I noticed he was on the trunk where the rear window is.

So, I didn't bother him, since I was going in school. Few hours later, I figured he got off the car.

So, on my way home, I noticed I was getting crappy reception on the radio. And there he was! Riding on my cars radio antenna! The same freakin lizard! And right there, just seeing the poor little thing holding on for dear life while cruising down the road at 55MPh, he was getting VERY shaken up. And a while later, 1 leg can't hold on anymore, then the next, then the next, and the next thing you know, he just pops off and flys into the air.

At that moment, I felt so sad for the poor little thing. Just 10 more minutes, and he would have literally been home, instead, he went into on-coming traffic.

So um, why the sadness over a little lizard?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 2:16 am

I can get that way too sometimes....

I accidentally killed a baby gecko in the mop sink by pouring hot mop water and chemicals on it.

Messed with me for the rest of the day.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 2:18 am

I can totally relate... I despise any kind of unnecessary suffering of life! Life is just so precious.... even vermin. I know certain vermin needs to be eliminated for human safety, but that can be done without suffering.

Torture of any living thing angers me to my very core!

And I feel that same sadness....

...and NT's think we don't have empathy or emotions? (Am I right that a typical NT would go "Awww" for a second if the animal was cute, then move on as if nothing had happened - or am I just being bitter and cynical?)

sassyaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Sep 2007, 2:20 am

are you feeling better now?

i think if you felt sad then, the thing must have aroused an uncomfortable feeling for you, either associating with an unpleasant experience or making you think too hard.

but once you had that kind of emotion, the incident is no longer as little as you think.

anway, sadness and laughter, you must have both, right?

ps. my friend once was very upset because a frog on the small lake near my classroom disappeared. she went to school everyday seeing it by the lake, then one day it was gone. she wrote it in the journal and submitted to our writing teacher.

hakemon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Sep 2007, 2:22 am

I'm feeling better about it right now. Then I wasn't though.

I even drove slower, speed limit was 55, I drove 42.

I felt I didn't do enough to help it.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 2:39 am

I hit a squirrel on the road a couple of years ago, and I wasn't right for days. It ran right out in front of me, it was on a road with a higher speed limit, and there was just no way I could have stopped. Everyone was like, "It's a freakin squirrel!" and I was like...it was a living creature...and I ended it's life. I just wasn't okay with that.