Teenage daughter being pushed out of a job. She has AS

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alliegirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Oct 2007, 11:25 pm

My daughter is being singled out by an asst. mgr at her job. She actually talks about her to the other employees that she is weird. Is there anything that I can do? She really tries so hard. She gets in trouble for really stupid things. This lady is in a power position and really takes it out on my daughter. She tells all the teenager kids that work for her about my 16 year old daughetr. What should she or I do?

GypsysOdyssey

06 Oct 2007, 11:28 pm

Been there, done that, ending up quitting every time. I'd like to say there's a solution, but if this asst. manager is really against your daughter, there's not much that will change that. :/

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2007, 11:35 pm

alliegirl wrote:
My daughter is being singled out by an asst. mgr at her job. She actually talks about her to the other employees that she is weird. Is there anything that I can do? She really tries so hard. She gets in trouble for really stupid things. This lady is in a power position and really takes it out on my daughter. She tells all the teenager kids that work for her about my 16 year old daughetr. What should she or I do?

You should consider suing the fast food chain that she works for. Document everything.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2007, 11:38 pm

Your daughter sounds a lot like me, and Im currently a dead beat 19 year old. What Ive learned from going from job to job and failing every time is that I will fail every time. I never know what I do wrong and when someone points it out to me its like an impulse to do it anyway.. Its like I cant learn from my social mistakes, I tried really hard too. As far as having an actual occupation I have pretty much no hope for myself in the future.. Sorry I dont have anything good to say about this, maybe she should try going to (what I call) "job therapy".. Find an organization that deals with people who have a disability that tries to get them into the work force.. Personally I think they are really helpful and understanding but employees (at the actual jobs) never are. While going to different places who were hiring with an organization, employees/ers never took me seriously and looked down to me when I went to interviews and so forth, it was really hurtful. The entire time I was with the abilities program I couldnt get a job because they knew about me and didnt want me. I dont even know how I got jobs in the past, what did I do right? Well.. I mean, once I got the job is when the failure started but anyway, I cant talk on the phone so the ones who didnt meet me just thought that I didnt want the job that badly then. Im too afraid to use the phone cause every time I try to talk on it (dont get me started with answering machines), 1. I get too quiet. 2. I say um ALOT and have really long pauses between every few things I say 3. I just end up saying things I dont mean to say 4. I know Im making all these mistakes while Im doing it and it makes me an emotional wreck.... So yeah, my brightest future is continuing to be a lowlife depending on the system.. Well, I dont depend on the system yet.. Probably alone I might add, forever.. Well, maybe not but Im not really feeling too great about my chances right now.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2007, 11:54 pm

Had that happen also, except it was from teachers at school.
Especially when i was back in Elementry and Middle.

``During World War 3 we will use atomic weapons, During World War 4 we will use sticks and rocks'' Albert Enstien

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2007, 11:57 pm

I've also been through this sort of thing countless times. So I went to the ADA website and read about how to protect yourself from discrimination. Apparantly, the employee has to tell the employer about the disability and what specifc acomodations they need in writing. The employer has to sign the letter, saying that they have read it. This has to have happened before the discrimination took place. Otherwise, the employer is likely to claim they were not aware. Secondly, the employee has to go through the same disclosure process as soon as they get another job. Here is the source of that information:

http://www.rogernmeyer.com/employment_ada_discrimination.html

But if you disclose that you have a disability, the discrimination can actually increase. I've learned to seek out jobs where I get to work alone and I've gotten used to living on next to nothing. I don't think there will be a solution until something changes in society or in the legal system.

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2007, 6:56 am

As evilkimevil, said, it is best to get a job where you work alone.

I'm really sorry to hear this is happening to your daughter, and I've been through this a couple times, and it's terrible. It blows knowing that everyone but you fits in fine at work, everyone's buddy buddy, and you're just the "weird girl" no one talks to (my first job at a grocery store, also known as HELL).

I've found that the key is to a)work with as few people as possible, and most importantly b)to find a reasonable, down to earth boss. Short of that, if I were your daughter I'd quit. But that's just me. Most people wont change opinions like that, and there usually isn't a way around those situations. If it's of any consolation, I'm only 19 and so far I've found two bosses that were carefree, reasonable, accommodating, and accepting, which is just beautiful. I clean banks right now... I make good money, work alone with my fiance, and my boss treats us amazingly.

What I really want to say is "sue that b****es pants off", but that's pretty unrealistic. I wish the best for you and your daughter, and just remind her that there are people with AS who both enjoy their jobs and make a decent living. The key is to be patient and understanding, not hard on yourself, when looking for the right job for you.

alliegirl

07 Oct 2007, 11:43 am

KristaMeth wrote:

I'm really sorry to hear this is happening to your daughter, and I've been through this a couple times, and it's terrible. It blows knowing that everyone but you fits in fine at work, everyone's buddy buddy, and you're just the "weird girl" no one talks to (my first job at a grocery store, also known as HELL).

I've found that the key is to a)work with as few people as possible, and most importantly b)to find a reasonable, down to earth boss. Short of that, if I were your daughter I'd quit. But that's just me. Most people wont change opinions like that, and there usually isn't a way around those situations. If it's of any consolation, I'm only 19 and so far I've found two bosses that were carefree, reasonable, accommodating, and accepting, which is just beautiful. I clean banks right now... I make good money, work alone with my fiance, and my boss treats us amazingly.

What I really want to say is "sue that b****es pants off", but that's pretty unrealistic. I wish the best for you and your daughter, and just remind her that there are people with AS who both enjoy their jobs and make a decent living. The key is to be patient and understanding, not hard on yourself, when looking for the right job for you.

Thanks so much for your positive comments. She is going to quit. I will probably tell the corporate office about what she has done tho.

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2007, 11:50 am

allie,

Your story does not surprise me one bit. It all goes to show how much social stigma there is to being "different".

Does your daughter have any knack for writing / kepping records of the goings-on at work? I ask this because I've had the experience of being wrongfully dismissed for exactly the same reasons.

I fought the case but won partially at best. In the follow-up, I wrote and published an exposé about my experiences working in that place, sent each and every of my former colleagues a copy, and a group lobbying against workplace bullying has taken a keen interest in my experiences.

Let's expose those corporate fascists and we'll have the last laugh.

Be yourself no matter what they say

**Sting, Englishman In New York

mechanima
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2007, 12:09 pm

As your daughter is quitting (IMHO the best choice) there is absolutely nothing to prevent you going to confront this woman and asking her what she thought she was playing at to bully a 16 year old girl out of her first job.

M

Last edited by mechanima on 07 Oct 2007, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2007, 12:19 pm

KristaMeth wrote:

QFT! BTW I believe I have AS. I have many of the problems, and apparently even a couple comorbids, and not that many of the benefits. I may not be much different from your daughter. I was even abruptly let go from my first job. I don't know if it is because of all the bottles the guy he had "train" me broke, or the fact that I finally cleaned up EVERYTHING in the store, or what. I just once was called over and told "Here's your final check". Judging by timing, and approximate work, I was probably there for 3 weeks.

But I haven't looked back. That first job was the only one that had any social component, and THAT was all clear. BTW I am now making a respectible salary. Outside of sales, or being a manager, or risky work, I probably couldn't do much better.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2007, 12:29 pm

People have to push back. They think that it's acceptable when you don't tell them it's wrong.

alliegirl

07 Oct 2007, 5:18 pm

Remnant wrote:
People have to push back. They think that it's acceptable when you don't tell them it's wrong.

My daughter did tell the woman that she believes that she was treated unfairly, but of course she says that is not true. All the teenagers that work there are against her because she will not stand around and gossip with them. She works with children and they just love her and so do the parents. She also has a big boss, that seems much more indertsanding, but rarely comes to that work place anymore, so she is letting that horrible woman handle the situation. What is SOOOOO ironic and weird about this whole thing is that this place she works st is a BIG supporter of autism. She has not told them she has AS. Should I tell the nice big boss? I'm afraid to get involved, yet I feel that I must.

alliegirl

07 Oct 2007, 5:22 pm

Papillon wrote:
allie,

Your story does not surprise me one bit. It all goes to show how much social stigma there is to being "different".

Does your daughter have any knack for writing / kepping records of the goings-on at work? I ask this because I've had the experience of being wrongfully dismissed for exactly the same reasons.

I fought the case but won partially at best. In the follow-up, I wrote and published an exposé about my experiences working in that place, sent each and every of my former colleagues a copy, and a group lobbying against workplace bullying has taken a keen interest in my experiences.

Let's expose those corporate fascists and we'll have the last laugh.

Oh I hope you get them back. This is only a small part time job, that probbaly not woth the stress to her, but I will be telling the people who started this chain on stores. She has not heard the last of me!

Zwerfbeertje
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2007, 7:08 pm

alliegirl wrote:
Should I tell the nice big boss? I'm afraid to get involved, yet I feel that I must.

Probably, yes - and a procedure was outlined above. I also suspect that, if she is so well liked by their clients, they wouldn't appreciate it if those clients were to become aware of her situation.

It also occurred to me that, where I live, getting sick might be an option.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Oct 2007, 7:11 pm

phone ticker. im shure she will know what to do!