Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Oct 2007, 8:50 am

Although codependency (codependence) is not an "official" diagnostic category (DSM-IV-TR), I have been reflecting on the relationship between this condition, as it is described on various websites, and Asperger's syndrome. As best I can tell, they are almost polar opposites of one another. However, I would like to know what others think.

I took two codependency tests:

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=4586846629366070282
and
http://www.journeyofrecovery.org/st-codependence.htm

Although neither test is scientific, I still found it interesting that I scored in the absolute lowest categories in both tests. In other words, at least as far as these two tests are concerned, I am not measurably codependent at all.

My guess is that most people with AS would have similar results, but I would be interested in seeing what you find. (My sister, who is not AS, defines herself as a codependent and attends a 12-step group for it.)

Cheers,

Mark

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 9:21 am

First test:
The Healthy One
You scored 50% Enabling, 35% Dependent, and 66% Stable!

Second test:
12 "yes"
If you answered “yes” to 6–12 statements, your life is shaped to a significant degree by the demands of needy people in your life. You often feel responsible for the choices others make, and you try too hard to help them make the right ones. You would benefit from the input of a competent counselor or support group.

The tests seem to contradict each other a bit. I don't think that I enable needy people at all. As a matter of fact, I have dropped friendships, because my friends enabled their husbands to be abusive, and i got tired of hearing about it. It may seem cold, but I don't want to hear it if you're not going to do something about it. Then again, I could've been taking the questions on the test too literally, as I often do.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 9:22 am

The term is often used in terms of a drinker vs a non, very often husband vs wife. My wife is a co-dependent. It was set up in her a long time ago. I'm an ex abuser, not as in wife abuser, although my first might disagree. But even if that were true, it would have been well deserved and I should have done it more. :wink:

When my wife (SwampBlossom) and I first met, I was trying to be careful, not wanting to fall into what I thought was a co-dependent trap. I didn't want a "yes" person. That any choices I made were ok, just because I said they were. My wife will shoulder guilt over some trivial thing in a hot second if she thinks it could possibly go against what I thought was correct. She feels guilty as hell if she spends money on herself, to the point of when we first met, if she spent or even if I spent say 100 bucks on her (actually a lot less would set this off), she would actually break out in a hot sweat. Unfortantly she is getting over this. :wink: We have to stay on a constant vigil over this little thing. For a long time I thought I had set this up in her, not so, she came with it. I just didn't see it when we first met. Sex is one of our current issues, she is older then I, menopause, physical ailments which cause pain, which boils done to a lot of times she can't. If I suggest it and she can't, it sets off a guilt reaction in her. She would wait on me hand and foot if I let her and to a great degree I have fell very comfortably into this trap. I was never raised to be "waited on" and when we first met I was amazed there were people that would actually do such a thing.

I could go on for a long time on this. But in an attempt to boil it down. It works very well for us, as long as we keep an eye on it. That it doesn't go over board. We are functional in our dysfunction. We know it is there and we keep an eye on it.

I don't think too f*****g much of 12 stepper programs, so I won't go there. It can be worked on very easily without falling into that little trap. And that's just exactly what I think it is, a trap. Get dependent on the steppers, oh the irony.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Oct 2007, 9:43 am

I'm not sure about this, either the tests or the hypothesis. I took the tests . The cupid one , which I couldn't get results from without registering which put me off (!) would probably have given me a low score , but mainly because it was rather blatantly obvious ,especially in the second set of questions , what was considered the reasonable and healthy answer!! The co-dep options were expressed in such contemptuous ways it would have been difficult to agree with them!! ! The christian one gave me a medium score (9 Yes). Some difficulties, but still sense of proportion!!
However an article I read , linked in the Aspergers Resources thread on members only (?),actually suggested people with ASD were very likely to set up "partnerships" where one person plays the protecter/provider and the other the protectED/provided FOR, because it is a way of controlling personal interaction, assigning roles in this "complementary/dualistic way, which is reassuring to ASD sufferers. It reduces the amount of "fuzzy" data in their life. Apparently which role they're likely to pick depends on infancy stuff ( as usual) but that they are prone to it because it is "simpler" to relate in this way to someone!! I suspect that this impacts on sexuality too, but that's another subject.
This struck me as quite possible, and certainly explains the frustration I have felt at times with people I have particularly clicked with, that I seemed to have trouble seeing them outside that sort of framework.
And I will admit that "medium" co-dep does seem right.

Last edited by ouinon on 11 Oct 2007, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Oct 2007, 9:48 am

serenity wrote:
The tests seem to contradict each other a bit. I don't think that I enable needy people at all. As a matter of fact, I have dropped friendships, because my friends enabled their husbands to be abusive, and i got tired of hearing about it. It may seem cold, but I don't want to hear it if you're not going to do something about it. Then again, I could've been taking the questions on the test too literally, as I often do.

Well, the tests are unscientific. However, at least in my case, they both confirmed what I already knew about myself: that I am not codependent (assuming there is such a condition).

My mother, whom my sister believes was also a codependent, would get upset when I did not agree with her (which was frequent). It was as if she defined her worth based on whether people shared her views on issues.

Cheers,

Mark

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Oct 2007, 9:50 am

I do not identify much with the twelve-step movement either. More than anything, perhaps it is the idea of "powerlessness" which turns me off. I suppose I don't think anyone is powerless.

Cheers,

Mark

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Oct 2007, 9:54 am

Not being able to deal with people's disagreement might have more to do with black-and-white mentality of ASDs for whom disagreement threatens their own logic system , something which is terrifying and provokes terrible anger. How can someone be right if they disagree with me. My Dad has it in such spades, (ideas are his markers, his references and if you start moving them around ..........disorientation and panic! )and myself to an extent ,that it is only possible for us to enjoy anecdote and exchange of stories and so on. I accept that now.

Last edited by ouinon on 11 Oct 2007, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Oct 2007, 9:57 am

ouinon wrote:
The cupid one , which I couldn't get results from without registering which put me off (!)

I have never registered on the Cupid site. You just skip the join button. (I already get enough spam.)

Quote:
However an article I read , linked in the Aspergers Resources thread on members only (?),actually suggested people with ASD were very likely to set up "partnerships" where one person plays the protecter/provider and the other the protectED/provided FOR, because it is a way of controlling personal interaction, assigning roles in this "complementary/dualistic way, which is reassuring to ASD sufferers.

Interesting, but, in that case, it would be the non-Aspie who is codependent, right?

Cheers,

Mark

SwampBlossom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Oct 2007, 9:58 am

I took the tests although I didn't need them to tell me I'm a codependent...my therapist already has established that fact. I am not an Aspie myself, but my husband, Postpaleo, is. What he has said about my codependency is all true but it goes much deeper than that. Of course we are polar opposites. We codependents tend to seek out those that we think need our help and can't live without us, and, we think Aspies fit that criteria just fine...naturally, we are wrong but that doesn't stop us from trying :lol:

It's been hard to teach this old dog new tricks but I think I have come a long way from the days when I was a complete door mat for my first husband. A lot of my 'codependent' behavior stems from the way I was raised, the era I was raised in and the rural area where I lived. Thank goodness I now have Postie who really understands the whys and wherefores of codependency and doesn't take advantage ( very often ) of my codependent tendencies.

I would suggest a series of books for you by Melody Beattie. The first is titled " Codependent No More". These books have not only helped me recognize my own behaviors but offers great advise on how to cope with my own behavior and others. It takes a lot of work and constant viligance but it's worth it, believe me.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Oct 2007, 10:02 am

nominalist wrote:

Interesting, but, in that case, it would be the non-Aspie who is codependent, right?

Cheers,

Mark

No, apparently , which is what I found so refreshing about the article , because it pointed out that some ASDs can be quite domineering ,and feel reassured having someone dependent on them , someone to advise, and to protect etc , because it allows them control.
And apparently an "aspie" skill is staying cool and being very capable when all around are losing their heads ( in some crisis or other)!
I think two people in that sort of relationship are both co-dependent , aren't they? Any relationship based on two people enjoying those complementary roles of helper and helped,I mean; otherwise one of them would not stick it.

Except perhaps an aspie in need ( serious disability )who puts up with the co-dep unhealthinesses of their partner in order to survive. ? Even then I think they'd have to engage in it to some degree to be able to put up with it longterm. ?

Last edited by ouinon on 11 Oct 2007, 10:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Oct 2007, 10:06 am

ouinon wrote:
Not being able to deal with people's disagreement might have more to do with black-and-white mentality of ASDs for whom disagreement threatens their own logic system , something which is terrifying and provokes terrible anger. How can someone be right if they disagree with me.

I agree, and it took a lot of inner work for me to get to the point where I genuinely do not care whether people agree with me.

However, my mother was definitely not autistic (though I believe my father is an aspie).

Cheers,

Mark

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 10:07 am

SwampBlossom wrote:
I took the tests although I didn't need them to tell me I'm a codependent...my therapist already has established that fact. I am not an Aspie myself, but my husband, Postpaleo, is. What he has said about my codependency is all true but it goes much deeper than that. Of course we are polar opposites. We codependents tend to seek out those that we think need our help and can't live without us, and, we think Aspies fit that criteria just fine...naturally, we are wrong but that doesn't stop us from trying :lol:

It's been hard to teach this old dog new tricks but I think I have come a long way from the days when I was a complete door mat for my first husband. A lot of my 'codependent' behavior stems from the way I was raised, the era I was raised in and the rural area where I lived. Thank goodness I now have Postie who really understands the whys and wherefores of codependency and doesn't take advantage ( very often ) of my codependent tendencies.

I would suggest a series of books for you by Melody Beattie. The first is titled " Codependent No More". These books have not only helped me recognize my own behaviors but offers great advise on how to cope with my own behavior and others. It takes a lot of work and constant viligance but it's worth it, believe me.

I also have these books and keep them handy for times when I know I am slipping back into being the rescuer. I am reading them again now, since the end of another marriage that was based on my being needed and him being needy. Maybe I need to take some lessons from you and Postie. :wink:

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 10:08 am

nominalist wrote:
I do not identify much with the twelve-step movement either. More than anything, perhaps it is the idea of "powerlessness" which turns me off. I suppose I don't think anyone is powerless.

Cheers,

Mark

Exactly. Which ultimately is why to them, it's for life. They have to stay in the confines of the "rooms". If it really works, their programs, then what is the fear of leaving. I am my own higher power, I have to be, I'm the one that has to say no, not some other outside higher power. But, like all good circular thinking, they have their scripture to send you to hell for such horrible blasphemy.

I don't throw the baby out with the bath water either. There are some good life long lessons to be had in some of what they preach. Most 12 stepper programs a huge revolving door, they claim way more success rate then has ever been really proven. It is sad actually, it could be done much better. Step one, get into the 21st century.

Ok I said I wouldn't go here, I'll shut up, it is off topic.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Oct 2007, 10:11 am

SwampBlossom wrote:

I would imagine that your experience is fairly typical.

I have the book you mentioned, but it is buried in the clutter which some call my apartment. ;-)

Cheers,

Mark

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Oct 2007, 10:14 am

nominalist wrote:
I have never registered on the Cupid site. You just skip the join button. (I already get enough spam.)

I tried doing that but then it wouldn't give me the results!!

I've just done it again, and found out why; it's the french beta version not debugged yet!! !

I also noticed something, while whizzing thru the questions a second time , ; the french father of my son, still with me despite no sex in 6 years ( and almost none the 2 years before that) etc , and horribly ready to excuse me, ( meltdowns, irritability , need for silence such that he now uses headphones to watch the TV for example!!etc ) is probably co-dep.

Hmm! I had already thought there was something not healthy about his "taking it" so long and so "docilely", but ......... So I am the aspie dominant (semi) co-dep that I was just talking about which fits , ..... :? :( :roll:

Last edited by ouinon on 11 Oct 2007, 10:30 am, edited 5 times in total.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Oct 2007, 10:16 am

There have actually been studies on AA. They only have about a 10% success rate. Some other 12-step groups, like Codependents Anonymous and Alanon, would require more subjective measures, so it would probably be difficult to evaluate success rates.

Cheers,

Mark

PS: I corrected the above from 90%. Oops.

Last edited by nominalist on 11 Oct 2007, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.