Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Library_Ann
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2007, 1:53 pm

That's HP as in Harry Potter, not Hewlett-Packard or Houses of Parliament.

What's a HP fan to read next?

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2007, 2:07 pm

Eragon is a good series, or the Dragonrider series, my favorite is The Wheel of Time. Try those. ^^

devster21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2007, 2:26 pm

I thought the thread meant horse power withdrawl.

The Afghan is pretty good but its not quite the same kind of book.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 2:48 pm

For some reason I thought the thread was gonna be about WP withdrawl

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 5:13 pm

Ever read Enid Blyton? She's a JKR of her time. She has far more books too.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 5:24 pm

I suggest The Dark Is Rising series by Susan Cooper, starting with 'Under sea, over stone'. Think that is the first book. I love HP and am a great fan of Cooper's series. Alternatively, there is an avalon series by Diane Wynne Jones, I believe?

Library_Ann
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2007, 3:19 pm

I just read that JKR was a big Chronicles of Narnia fan when she was a girl.

And there's a new version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe being filmed now.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 4:16 pm

Diane Duane's series. It's starts with the book, "So You Want To Be A Wizard." Currently, I think, there are 8 of them out. Great stuff.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 4:42 pm

Library_Ann wrote:
I just read that JKR was a big Chronicles of Narnia fan when she was a girl.

And there's a new version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe being filmed now.

It's actually Prince Caspian, a sequel to the first movie. I'm looking forward to this as I loved those books as a kid.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 5:51 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
I suggest The Dark Is Rising series by Susan Cooper, starting with 'Under sea, over stone'. Think that is the first book. I love HP and am a great fan of Cooper's series. Alternatively, there is an avalon series by Diane Wynne Jones, I believe?

There's a movie coming out based on that series right now (although it doesn't start with the first book). It looks like it's going to be really different, because (1) they're trying to appeal to American audiences so Will is American and dealing with culture shock in the UK and (2) they're bringing typical teenage romance and angst into it. Ugh.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 5:57 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:

There's a movie coming out based on that series right now (although it doesn't start with the first book). It looks like it's going to be really different, because (1) they're trying to appeal to American audiences so Will is American and dealing with culture shock in the UK and (2) they're bringing typical teenage romance and angst into it. Ugh.

Yes, I actually jumped up and down when I saw a billboard for this movie as I had not realised it was being made...then someone enlightened me as to the changes and the way they have adapted it for modern audiences. Needless to say, I have lost interest. I wish the film industry would stop ripping to pieces perfectly decent pieces of writing. I am sure there must have been a way to make it without changing it so severely...afterall, Narnia kept the essence of the books.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 6:28 pm

How about "The Chronicles of Narnia" which is all the Narnia series of books rolled up in one so it's about 4 inches thick. ;) That'll keep you busy, and it's a great read!

Khalaris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2007, 10:19 am

the Osten Ard series by Tad Williams

vandire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2007, 7:34 pm

If you might be interested in mature, dark fantasy then try The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant".

For light humour fantasy try the discworld series by Terry Pratchett. The best feature is that it's written in 2 layers - it has real thoughts and meanings behind a lot of it (though most of them are hardly revelations, some are spot on, and some in my opinion or plain wrong) or if you feel like it you can just read them for good (and very amusing) stories.