An Inside View of Autism by Temple Grandin, Ph.D.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 3:33 pm

Found this very interesting, and thought parents and everyone on autism spectrum, who just found out there child has autism should take a look. you can still be successful if you have autism and some interesting information.

INTRODUCTION
I am a 44-year old autistic woman who has a successful international career designing livestock equipment. I completed my Ph.D. in Animal Science at the University of Illinois in Urbana and I am now an Assistant Professor of Animal Science at Colorado State University. Early intervention at age 2 1/2 helped me overcome my handicap.

view article

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 4:15 pm

Not following the herd topic

Thank you, jaydog, for pointing out the excellent article about Temple Grandin. I have read it before but it is also informative to reread and find points missed the first time.

Grandin's approach is rational, straightforward and directly explains her wond difference without finger pointing or self pity. Both people living on the Autism Spectrum and NTs will find this a useful resource. Bravo, Temple.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 4:27 pm

That sounds very interesting :D
Another great book is Songs of the Gorilla Nations by Dawn Prince Hughes. I really related to her story, and she explains Aspergers very well.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 4:47 pm

For some bizarre reason, I always thought Temple Grandin was Aspergers, not Autistic but the article never actually uses the word Aspergers.

Also, her communication issues would have graded her as HFA.

rushfanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jan 2008, 5:01 pm

jaydog wrote:
Found this very interesting, and thought parents and everyone on autism spectrum, who just found out there child has autism should take a look. you can still be successful if you have autism and some interesting information.

INTRODUCTION
I am a 44-year old autistic woman who has a successful international career designing livestock equipment. I completed my Ph.D. in Animal Science at the University of Illinois in Urbana and I am now an Assistant Professor of Animal Science at Colorado State University. Early intervention at age 2 1/2 helped me overcome my handicap.

view article
I was fortunate enough to see her at a conference in Cleveland 2 years ago.Her mother was very supportive of her from the very beginning, and she credits her for her upbringing..