Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

CeriseLy
Toucan
Toucan

25 Oct 2007, 8:01 am

I don't mean Doritos or ice cream as common amongst everyone NT and aspie, I mean are there certain flavors that you know there is a different aspie reason for preferring. That there is some kind of hook into your brain that certain foods have although they may not be a favorite food. I think the adjective "kindred" fits what I am going for.

I don't consume on a regular basis but something about very very dark chocolate and Dr. Pepper appeal to me. I wonder if it is a tannin quality to their flavors.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Oct 2007, 8:14 am

Dr. Pepper, definitely. Coke, too. I always just thought it was because I tend to self med with caffeine like that. I also have a real thing about "faggy salad sandwiches", you know egg salad, ham salad, chicken salad, cole slaw....mayonnaise in particular I guess. I also don't really like spicy or strong flavoured things. My son seeks those out. He's diagnosed AS, I'm not. Interesting thought.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 8:58 am

I love hot, spicy and crunchy. But sometimes I'll go for astringent. Rarely do I go for sugary. YECCHHHHHH. Bleh. Heave. So. Is that an AS trait?

Just finished a nice meal of crunchy red pepper with sour cream and pumpkin seeds, with a dash of olive oil and sea salt.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 9:02 am

A woman from my clubhouse was giving out rainbow licorice, yesterday. I've asked her if she had strawberry right away, because I'm familiar with the strawberry flavor of Twizzlers.

Plutonian_Persona
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2007, 2:47 pm

1.) Foods: Very spicy and/or salty. Examples: Mrs. Renfro's Habanero Salsa with extra salty chips, weiner schnitzel, bacon, and extra spicy Mexican and Thai food.

2.) Drinks: Bitter, sour, and/or smokey. Examples: Dark beers (i.e. New Belgium 1554, Schlenkerla Smoke Beer, Kostritzer Black Beer), lemonade, and Lapsong tea.

3.)Desserts: Bitter. Examples: 100% cacao dark chocolate, extra-bitter orange marmalade, and Panda Licorice with Herbs.

A lot of these food flavor preferences (taste obsessions???), and the resulting products in which they are found, make people think that I have really strange, over-the-top eating habits. The Schlenkerla Smoke Beer is the one that gets people because it's like drinking liquid bacon, which is naturally disgusting to almost everyone!

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 5:15 pm

Very nice list. It brought to mind the aryuvedic way of applying tastes - *Ayurveda is India’s 5,000 year old “Science of Life” Your dosha is your Ayurveda mind & body type. You can test yourself which type you are http://www.whatsyourdosha.com/quiz/ :P

Plutonian_Persona wrote:
1.) Foods: Very spicy and/or salty. Examples: Mrs. Renfro's Habanero Salsa with extra salty chips, weiner schnitzel, bacon, and extra spicy Mexican and Thai food.

2.) Drinks: Bitter, sour, and/or smokey. Examples: Dark beers (i.e. New Belgium 1554, Schlenkerla Smoke Beer, Kostritzer Black Beer), lemonade, and Lapsong tea.

3.)Desserts: Bitter. Examples: 100% cacao dark chocolate, extra-bitter orange marmalade, and Panda Licorice with Herbs.

A lot of these food flavor preferences (taste obsessions???), and the resulting products in which they are found, make people think that I have really strange, over-the-top eating habits. The Schlenkerla Smoke Beer is the one that gets people because it's like drinking liquid bacon, which is naturally disgusting to almost everyone!

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

25 Oct 2007, 6:28 pm

I like: hot (spicy), sour, bitter, tart...

I don't like: sweet, salty...

I use tons and tons of spice when I cook (both in variety and quantity); I prefer the flavour of things I like to be extra strong, and often very complex; and I love both to cook, and to make up my own recipes (one day I'll publish a recipe book, I swear - Icarus's Black Mesa T-bone chili is the best chili ever made in the history of mankind).

My favourite spice is cayenne; my favorite secret ingredient is Worcestershire sauce; my favourite sauce to put on things is Tabasco Chipotle. I prefer malt vinegar to catsup on fries. My favorite vegetable is red onion; my favourite fruit is grapefruit.

People tend to think I'm a freak (duh :roll: ), because I don't like chocolate, or candy generally speaking (though I do eat it occasionally). I never, ever put salt on anything, or into anything that I cook.

Good fortune,

- Icarus makes a 2-egg 8-vegetable 4-cheese 12-spice omelet that is to die for...

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 6:54 pm

I tend to like food with lots of Garlic and red pepper. Therefore, I like Italian, Indian, Thai, Somali, Vietnamese, and Mexican/Central American food.

Also, I like French Roast coffee which has a burnt/bitter astringent taste. When I drank, I liked a lot of import beer served relatively higher higher temps than the average American Beer temp of 40F. Beers that I liked were:

John Courage Lager, ( pronounced astringent fruity taste)
Mackeson's Triple Stout ( Thick and sweet)
Dragon Stout ( Jamaican near copy of Mackeson's)
Carlsberg Elephant ( Astringent fruity taste)
Young's Old Nick Barleywine ( strong astringent fruity taste, 9% Alcohol)
Aas Bock ( burnt carmel taste)
Sam Adams Lager ( strong hop bitterness)
Geary's Ale ( same as Sam Adams)

I currently like very sour sodas like Tango from the UK, as well as San Pellegrino lemon and orange sodas. -- Standard American style soda's have too much sugar and not enough taste.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 7:52 pm

I love spicy or garlicy food. Whole grains only. I like tart desserts.
The only sweet stuff I like are dark chocolate or raw, plain fruit.

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 9:55 pm

I have tended to like citrus flavors like Orange, Lemon, etc more over sweet flavors. I also like meaty flavors too, like beef broth, gravy, and related tastes. I'm like many of you others here too, and enjoy garlic, and pepper as well. A tasty treat is a nice juicy steak flavored with a little bit of garlic and pepper :)

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

25 Oct 2007, 11:06 pm

Garlic rules! I use it not as a spice, but as a vegetable. 8O

If you like spicy and garlicy first thing in the morning to start your day, don't miss out on this recipe. :wink:

Good fortune,

- Icarus eats garlic like apples...

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 11:17 pm

Primarily I have a sweet tooth. I've heard from my parents that I picked it up from a medication when I was little and never lost it. I drink a lot of Dr. Pepper.

I also like very spicy things. It has to be really spicy for me to even feel it, though.

I kind of like salty things, too. Garlic is very good.

I don't care too much for sour, and I'm generally not a fan of anything humans consider healthy.

AspieMartian
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2007, 12:33 am

I like a wide variety of taste preferences. I live in the southwest, so I like spicy, hot food. I like a lot of vegetables - I was one of those rare kids who loved (and still love) broccoli. I like also nearly all fruits, fish and shellfish. I'm fussier about meats - I eat little pork, and I won't touch anything "gamey." I like butter, sour cream, most cheeses and yogurt, but hate plain milk and cottage cheese. Legumes are the food grgoup I have the most disdain for - most beans are just revolting to my palate. I only eat a few certain types of beans, and only if they're preparedin certain ways.

I dislike coffee but I love tea. Whether hot or cold, tea has to be unsweetened. I like bitter, medium to dark ales and single malt whisky (absolutely NO sour mash swill - tastes like vomit to me). I prefer dry wines to sweeter wines, but I'd rather have an ale or whisky than wine anyday. I don't like most sodas, but I do like the occasional root beer or Dr. Pepper. I drink fruit juice regularly, but no fruit "cocktail" crap or anything that's basically fruit flavored corn syrup. Yuck.

I like sweet things but not super sweet things. I prefer 60-70% dark chocolate to sweeter chocolate, and I like mildly sweet licorice. I don't most candy that's essentially flavored sugar, but I do like real caramel a lot, and I like gummy bears (don't ask me why). I also love vanilla-, almond- and orange-flavored stuff, but it can't be really sweet or an artificial flavor (and usually artifical flavors are used with a lot of sugar to cover up their inferiority).

CeriseLy
Toucan
Toucan

26 Oct 2007, 1:30 am

A LITTLE GRAPEFRUIT JUICE AND A LOTTA WATER
A LITTLE SKIM MILK AND A LOTTA CRUSHED ICE - IT ONLY LOOKS RICH AND DECADENT UNTIL SOMEONE TASTES IT AND THEN LOOK AT ME AS IF I AM WEIRD

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2007, 2:03 am

I like spicey Italian foods.
I like Turkish pizzas, shoarma, etc because they have more meat on them than Italian pizzas.
I like to eat atleast 200 grams of meat with whatever i eat every day.
Only recently did i start eating vegetables every day.
That was because my job demanded i stayed physically perfectly fit and thin.

I don't really eat Dutch foods much at all.
They tend to not be particularly spicey or crispy, thus are boring to me.
I also don't eat greecy junk like fries at all.
For soda i mainly drink sparkling water and coffee.
On the weekends beer ofcourse.

I am also crazy about eggs with bacon :P

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2007, 3:07 am

From variety of different individuals' responses, I'd guess there is not a common shared set of flavor preferences for people with ASD diagnoses.
Can't stand spicy/hot flavors or taste sensations. Only eat bland & mild, sweet or salty foods.
List of what I won't eat is much longer than list of what I do eat. That which I enjoy (and find scrumptious) seems boring & unappetizing to most others-but what they like to eat seems repulsively inedible (and "abnormal") to me.