Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 2:22 pm

If you drive, what are some things other drivers do that you find annoying? One thing I dislike is drivers slowing down before they go into the shared center turning lane to make a left turn. The same thing happens with right turns; they could easily go into the shoulder to prevent people from having to brake behind them. Another nuisance is people merging into the lane I'm driving in without using their turn signal. A third peeve is slow drivers, especially ones in the left lane.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 2:31 pm

driving peeves?

other drivers, full stop. i am quite capable of getting road rage just by unlocking my car, let alone getting into it... ;)

jb814
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2005, 2:42 pm

As an ex-cyclist (presently) any motorists. I've been knocked off on several occasions by people not allowing enough room, one really smart guy almost hit me coming the wrong way down a one way street. I can't think of positive motorist moments I'm afraid.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 2:57 pm

1. RECKLESS SPEEDERS (i.e., going between lanes at high speeds)
2. TAILGATERS
3. NOT USING TURN SIGNALS (they're not just for decoration)
4. slow drivers (slower than the speed limit)

Honestly, every time I get into the car, I get so close to road rage that I often prefer to drive as least as possible. I am always very grumpy when I reach my destination.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

tokaia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Aug 2005, 9:28 am

I don't drive, but my boyfriend does, and I'm always in the car with him.

1. Tailgaters. Especially when they honk at you. A good way to get them to stop (if you're not going too fast) is to slam on your brakes. They back right off. If they hit you, they will get in trouble.

2. People who don't make complete stops. The sign says stop. Not proceed slowly.

3. People who honk at people who make complete stops.

4. People who, at a red light, sit in the intersection. Why is it necessary for someone to wait in the intersection to turn? Surely it's illegal and unsafe?

5. People who talk on cell phones and drive at the same time. Said people usually are driving vans, trucks, or SUV's capable of smashing a small car to bits, thus killing the inhabitants. How irresponsible. One time at a gas station, I was almost run over by a moron who was on his cell phone in his huge SUV. He obviously wasn't paying attention.

6. People who, at a stop, stare at you.

7. Old people that are clearly too senile to be driving. You can tell by the way they swerv all over the lane or go waaay too slow.

8. Teenagers that drive wrecklessly (shouldn't that be 'wreckfully'? wreckless would indicate the lack of a wreck...), thus endagering any passengers, pedestrians, or other drivers.

9. Truckers who think they own the road. One tried to run us off the road on our way to Oregon. Going 75 down the freeway. :x

stlf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2005, 10:43 am

Indecisive and under confident drivers make me very angry...either turn or do not, go or do not etc. I think these people cause more wrecks than drunks and speeders. Old people and middle aged women are the worst in this catagory from what I have observed.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2005, 12:42 pm

i am a middle aged woman, stlf...

anyway, i drive a fiat, and you have no choice but to drive like a maniac in a fiat (unless it's one of those people carrier/childmobile things).

MovieMogul
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2005, 8:54 pm

My peeves... oh so many.

Tailgaters, but I get my revenge on them... I slow down :lol: It just proves that while they may try to aggrevate me by tailing me, I will piss them off so much more, by slowing down a little. I also do it to make overtaking easier.

Speeders. Don't know about other countries, but in Australia, it's generally accepted that you can do 10 km/h over the limit and it's no problem. I disagree, and obey the limit, maybe do 5 over if I'm in a hurry. I don't have a problem with these minor speeders, but I hate people who speed and weave through traffic. I had a guy in a Subaru WRX weave like there was no tomorrow, on the way in this morning. I swear, he turned so tightly he was almost losing grip in his rear tires.

Weavers... see above

Blind indicators. Just plain rude. Especially when they do it at the last minute and cut you off, because they have another 20 metres to cross two lanes. I always get in the lane I need to be in, about a kilometre before I get there. It gives me plenty of time to find a space to indicate and turn into.

My personal driving style is underconfident. I know I'm inexperienced and so I always double check. I obey speed limits, I don't change lanes, or pull into lanes without reasonable gaps. My only worry is that I do travel a bit close to the car in front. I don't tailgate, but it's a bit closer than the 2 second gap recommended here in Australia.

http://actionman133.isa-geek.net:8080/

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2005, 10:13 pm

Quote:
5. People who talk on cell phones and drive at the same time. Said people usually are driving vans, trucks, or SUV's capable of smashing a small car to bits, thus killing the inhabitants. How irresponsible. One time at a gas station, I was almost run over by a moron who was on his cell phone in his huge SUV. He obviously wasn't paying attention.

Ooh, I forgot those guys. I HATE THEM!

Quote:
8. Teenagers that drive wrecklessly (shouldn't that be 'wreckfully'? wreckless would indicate the lack of a wreck...), thus endagering any passengers, pedestrians, or other drivers.

I blame most of them and also people around my age for my high insurance rates due to simply to my age and nothing else. I AM A GOOD DRIVER!! ! :evil: :evil: :evil:

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2005, 9:13 am

Quote:
I AM A GOOD DRIVER!! !

A good driver is one who can go through rush hour without hitting the brakes. . . .they don't exisist. :wink:

People who leave on their headlights when coming at me dead on anger me.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2005, 3:34 pm

Prometheus wrote:
Quote:
I AM A GOOD DRIVER!! !

A good driver is one who can go through rush hour without hitting the brakes. . . .they don't exisist. :wink:

I quite agree. And so if one doesn't ride the bumper of the person in front of them during rush hour (haha, like that will ever NOT happen), this is the case. Good driver. :D

hell_grey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Aug 2005, 5:00 pm

i recently got my license. woot woot.

i agree with stlf about indecisive, underconfident drivers being the most dangerous. i try to take one decision at a time and not dilly dally in options, if that makes any sense. it's better to just decide what you're doing and GO... not wait, or to start going and then change your mind, etc.

since i haven't driven in other parts of the US i dont know how common this is, but in northern va its common for peopel to go 10-13 mph over the speed limit, obviously more on the highways. since i have my provisional license (kinda like a pre-license that comes after learner's permit) only go 5 mph over the speed limit. i still get beeped at and get peopel flashing their brights at me at night. im speeding and in the right lane and that's not enough for some people. they can kiss my ass. :evil:

anyways, i hate:

1) anyone being on their cell phone while driving. if its an emergency at least do it at a red light or something
2) people who follow too closely
3) not signalling
4) crossing lanes right before an intersection to get to a turn lane
5) weaving
6) edging forward by like an INCH at intersections... it getsmy hopes up... lol

and...stuff.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2005, 1:48 am

No one has mentioned roundabouts yet...

But the people who don't indicate properly or slow down on them too much REALLY annoy me.
As for tailgaters, I have seen a great sticker that reads, "The Closer You Get, The Slower I Go."

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2005, 1:56 am

I think there is only one roundabout in a 50 mile radius of where I live.
What annoys me is:
Illegal aliens who don't know how to drive
Groups of trucks on the freeway slowing down traffic
People on cell phones or crack pipes (hard to tell the difference from behind)
Tailgaters (brake checking them is fun! :twisted: )
People blocking intersections (happens all the time)
People that slow down to stare at someone with a flat tire

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2005, 4:14 am

Sean wrote:
I think there is only one roundabout in a 50 mile radius of where I live.
What annoys me is:
People that slow down to stare at someone with a flat tire

I go around two roundabouts just to get out of the tiny little suburb I live in.

The flat tyre comment reminds me of when I have driven along the freeway and there is a traffic jam. I wonder what it is, then the traffic just dissipates...turns out there is an accident on the other side of the freeway and everyone has slowed down on my side to have a look. These sorts of people make me angry :x

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2005, 11:20 pm

I HATE it when other people pull out in front of me and go slow.I also don't liek it when people get up on my butt(as in get REALLY close behind me).And have you noticed that some of them do hand signals?ANNOYING!

:x SpaceCase :x