Yes 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
No 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
I used to hate them but got used to it 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 20

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 11:52 am

Do any of you guys hate the noise of hairdryers... I used to hate them... I hate the noisy ones the most... what about you guys

Adrie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2007, 12:07 pm

I used to hate them, but got used to them.

There's a girl in my flat now who showers at like 2 AM when she gets back from clubbing, and so every night I'm woken up by the sound of her blow-drying her hair! :roll: But yeah, I'm becoming more and more desensitized, which can only be a good thing...

Anniemaniac
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Nov 2007, 12:24 pm

I used to really hate them, but then I let my hair grow and when it got long, and since I have some weird issue when it comes to my hair being wet (I can't stand the feeling of wet hair on my head and neck) I have no choice but to blow dry it.

Hair dryers only bother me now when other people use it. I think it's to do with it being out of my control. I'm fine when I'm using it because I can turn it off when I want to and it's either that or have my hair wet on my head for over an hour which I could not stand, but when other people use it, I can't wait until they turn it off.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 1:00 pm

yes,yet another torture tool...have to go outside the house when madam has her hairdryed.

hair drying....does no one else use just a towel to dry? would this not help anyone else with hair dryer problems?
am have always had very thick hair [and nearly always had it long,as in down to arse long] and have always towel dryed it,it's not great having to do it for ages,but it works.

Adrie,
have asked the lady if she could use the hair dryer at a more suitable time because it affects others?
it might also be against a resident contract? [can't remember their proper name],a list of rules all residents are expected to listen to.

Adrie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2007, 1:08 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Adrie,
have asked the lady if she could use the hair dryer at a more suitable time because it affects others?
it might also be against a resident contract? [can't remember their proper name],a list of rules all residents are expected to listen to.

Thanks. I might bring it up with her sometime, if it keeps bothering me. But she's in her own room and it's not against any rules, really...Last year I had a flatmate who invited her friends over and they played music all night and shouted at each other, and THEN I (and everyone else in my flat) complained. This hair dryer thing is not nearly as bad, haha.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 1:26 pm

it's electric razors for me (shivver) oh, I don't even trust them unplugged!

Merle

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 1:36 pm

Adrie wrote:
KingdomOfRats wrote:
Adrie,

Thanks. I might bring it up with her sometime, if it keeps bothering me. But she's in her own room and it's not against any rules, really...Last year I had a flatmate who invited her friends over and they played music all night and shouted at each other, and THEN I (and everyone else in my flat) complained. This hair dryer thing is not nearly as bad, haha.

that doesn't sound good,it's shared space and not their own personal house,it would make sense with the other lady to comprimise a bit and dry her hair at a time everyone else is up at,as it's a shared house she cannot treat it like her own and has to take others into consideration.

if want to speak to her and not comfortable verbally speaking about it with her,what about writing an informal letter to her instead,sister used to use this form of contact about any issues she had with the others she used to live with,and they would leave replies notes on the table.

what about wearing earplugs at night/in bed? a good soft spongy pair might take some of the dryer noise away and possibly stop from waking up.

Likho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2007, 1:59 pm

i don't mind the noise, but i hate the hot air XD my head hurts from that. i usually dry my hair with cold air... (they actually can't be completely dried like that, but at least they're not wet xD nobody ever notices that)

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 3:24 pm

I like the white noise, and the feeling of the hot air.

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 3:41 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
it's electric razors for me (shivver) oh, I don't even trust them unplugged!

Merle

:lol:

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 3:46 pm

omgosh i hate the sound of hairdryers, it gives me such a bad headache...

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Nov 2007, 9:35 pm

When I used to go to hairdressers, I hated being put underneath that hot, loud, blowing thing. It always got unbearably hot, and I would start to edge out from under it. Now I dry my hair by wrapping a towel around it until most of the water is absorbed, and then making a single plait and pinning it up. And I love the smell of my newly washed hair.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 11:50 am

Eh. It's like running tap water. If I'm using it, I'm fine with it. If someone else is using it, it drives me bonkers.

My mom used to dry my hair for me when I was little, as it was quite long. I remember hating that, but also being soothed by the constant hum. When she was just in her room using the hair dryer though...AAAAHH!! !! 8O The noise.... :x