Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 9:17 am

Those of you that have a myspace, or similar page, does it bother you when people just post a ton of pictures, and graphics on your page, but never talk? I join those kinds of networks to meet people with similar interests, and I try to be personable when I leave a message on their page, or send them a pm. It seems that 90% of all of the messages that I receive are animated graphics that people find amusing, so they send it to their whole circle of friends. There's nothing personable about it. Right now my page is a blinking, glittery blob of animated graphics that I don't even like. Is this considered on-line small talk? I just don't get it. I want to have real conversations, not just exchange a bunch of graphics. Am I the only one who feels this way?

makelifehappen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 9:26 am

YES! I go through and update my profile with all the things that we have been up to, things that interest me, things that may be of interest to others, post information and resources, etc, knowing that it is fairly effortless to keep in touch with those that know us and allow the opportunity for interaction based around those things. I know for sure, I am terrible at getting in touch and often comment on things that interest me, but I have been given crap by others who do not understand why they have not received that kind of attention from me. I deny all invites for stupid wall posts, ret*d applications and groups that do not interest me. It drives me mad that I have had friend invites from people I once knew and they choose to peruse the profile like some daily soap opera, but do not talk to me.

The delete feature is my best friend. I tend sift through the list each week and filter people out that have not bothered with me, but still think it is ok to have access to my daily life events. :roll:

SEE YA! :wink:

and best of all, I feel no shame in doing so, either :twisted:

Do you have a facebook account? I tend to use facebook more than anything else, as it allows me to seek out groups that are of interest to me and keeps the interaction flowing that way...

Everchanging
Toucan
Toucan

Location: In my ivory tower where I don't have to pretend to care what you think any more.

09 Nov 2007, 9:31 am

You can specify in your settings that images are not allowed in comments - go to settings -> Miscellaneous -> and then uncheck the box(es) beside "HTML Comments:"

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 9:52 am

I have just opened a Multiply acct. I was at facebook, but I didn't really like it, so I deleted my acct a few days ago. I was also at yahoo 360, but it's said to be shutting down. All my friends said that Multiply was the best, so I went there. Now they're all spamming my page with their junk lol. I will also admit that I don't do well with getting back to people, but I do at least try, and it's always a real post/reply. Never just a bunch of pics of half naked men, and women. Guess I don't have a sense of humor. :?:

makelifehappen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 10:08 am

Nope. I have a sense of humour and that crap annoys the hell outta me too. Guess it all depends on your reasons for the account, ya?

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 11:26 am

No, that doesn't happen to me, but my "Friends" are bands I like and people who like those bands. I don't have any "Friends" without similar taste and interests. I think this shared taste includes not posting obnoxious pictures. If someone did that, I would delete them.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 11:52 am

I do Flickr, which counts as a social networking site. At least Flickr has a purpose behind it though. So many of this 'social networking' sites seem to have no purpose at all.

Lumina
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 12:45 pm

I don’t see much of a purpose behind social networks. Other than it being one huge online popularity contest. If I don’t leave someone enough comments, I lose my spot on their top friends list. I use it to keep in touch with people I’ve met on one particular site when I don’t feel like showing up there.

As for anyone leaving me comments using all the lovely glittery graphics they have available, I only have one friend who does that sort of thing and I don‘t mind it. Two of my “friends” are actually artist who leave me nice little samples of their work. Apparently one of them seems to think I don’t have enough color on my page. :lol:

makelifehappen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 1:44 pm

I quite like the graffiti application on facebook. I like to find little interests of other's that they have posted about and then do up something fun, but nothing like dirty naked pics people are sending 'round!

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 2:16 pm

If people posted something that they made themselves I wouldn't mind. That's way different. The ones that I'm talking about are the TGIF graphics with a pic of some guy in a G-string sort of thing. I think that I'm just gonna politely state on my page that I don't want anymore of those sorts of pics posted to my guestbook.
I figured since most of the people on my page either have ASD, or kids with ASD that the topic would center around that mostly, but it hasn't. (ASD happens to be my special interest at the moment)

makelifehappen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 3:10 pm

serenity wrote:
(ASD happens to be my special interest at the moment)

and me! :wink:

Deccajay
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 7:54 pm

It's almost imposible to have a real conversation anymore. its sad and frustrating.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Deccajay

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Nov 2007, 8:44 pm

i only go to internet forums now. i deleted all my other friend networking pages i had

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 8:49 pm

I'd rather cut my arm off than join (and be an avid member of) those social networking sites.

It's just some popularity ladder climbing contest meat market.