Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Themis
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Nov 2007, 9:59 am

Dear Aspies,
My son is 16 years old with repeating behaviour and requests ask/response to his questions from us.The questions are repetitives and the responses that he want in his questions are specific from before.If the response it isnt according his desire then he is anxious that is mean abnormalites in the oxytocin system but there is not medicinal product to ameliorate his probem. The medification with association risperdal/zoloft for 3 years doenst ameliorate his behaviour but augnmeuted the levels of anxiety with high agressivity and had severe side effects.After we stopped this medification his agressivity stopped. Have we any chances to find a succesfull psychological treatment for repetition behaviour?

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 10:15 am

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. You mean your son asks the same repetitive questions, and needs them answered the same way every time? My son does that. He used to be really bad, I mean REALLY bad. Almost everything that came out of his mouth was a script of some kind, and he expected you to answer him accordingly. Does your son do this to other people, ie: at school, and in social settings? If he's only doing it at home, and with people close to him I'd say just answer his question, and let him be happy. For some people with ASD asking the same questions, and getting the same answers offers a feeling of safety, and comfort. My son tends to like things that will not change, it's always the same, it's static. That's okay with me. I like things like that too. If it makes him feel safe, I'll spell the word oatmeal 50 times a day. He doesn't want to talk about his day, or his fav sports team. He just wants to exchange facts, and make sure that they're all still the same as he thought they were. The way I see it is that enough people are going to get annoyed at him for just being him, I'm sure not going to be one of them. I say, embrace your sons quirks.

*edited for a typo

Last edited by serenity on 09 Nov 2007, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

momtanic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Nov 2007, 12:45 pm

My son asks questions that he knows the answers to ALL the time.
He is 9. If I don't answer the way he wants to hear it, he'll stop me and tell me the correct way to answer it. I'll then say, "if you know
the answer, why did you ask?" and he says, "to make sure that you
didn't forget" Sometimes I give him the wrong answer just so that
he can correct me and this is fun for him. I think that he just wants
to "talk". (he rarely shuts up, except during class) It sometimes drives me crazy, but just like the other response - It's just one of
many quirks that he has.

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 1:01 pm

I just now realized that I do this. Never thought about it before. My whole brain just wants to explode if you give me even a slightly different answer the second time, even worse the third or fourth time. Not sure why.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Nov 2007, 8:40 pm

well i can tell you that i took respirdal and it was terrible. when i was a teenager i also took an anti dpressant and hated it. o m g
it was horrible!
1. i like jacking off. i COULD not get a stiffy to save my life
2. 911 whats your emergency? uh yeah i cant jack off.
3. thats terrible son, i feel for you but god bless america

if i was you, i'd cease and desist all medications! i dont know why there putting autistic people on anti-psycotic medications anyways, since whenever does the fda tell the truth?

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2007, 5:56 am

Well, I don't do that anymore, but I often refuse to give an answer until the other party has figured it out from what information I have already provided. It's kinda like a game, but it just ends up making me surly when I don't get the answer I want. And no-one else sees the fun in it. Getting the "right" answer is important.

And @ Themis: Your language is very annoying. This is not an insult, merely a request for some rudimentary adherence to the principle of K.I.S.S.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

militarybrat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2007, 2:09 pm

Unfourtunatly their are no medications that can target the corp problems in any ASD, they can only deal with outerlying issues. Effective treatment combinations largely depend on the person. The best proven treatment is early intensive behavior modification. I did a report argueing that Cognitive Behavioral Theropy for Asperger's Syndrome is one of the best treatments for teens with AS. Tony Attwood wrote an excellent article on this this type of treatment, one of the best I've read. Maybe you could consider trying that.
Incase you want to look up the article here is the information on it:
"Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Children and Adults with Asperger’s Syndrome" by Tony Attwood. Published in 2004 in Behaviour Change; Journal of the Australian Behavior Modification Association vol. 21, 3, p.147-161